Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2018, 05:55 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,648,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Both of them still had enough name that they only needed initial critics to say "it's a hit" to make those movies monster hits.
Those movies weren't hits because of Downey and Travolta. In fact, Travolta's career had more or less flatlined. He wasn't a draw. He hadn't been for a few years.

In both cases, it was the movie that made them stars again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2018, 05:57 PM

28,711 posts, read 18,912,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Downey's role in Back to School was more than a bit part: He played Melon's (only) buddy. Downey's classic moment: falling onto the floor, legs up in the air, shouting Do me!! Do me!! For the time, that was utterly hilarious.

But yes, he was persona non grata before lightning struck again with Iron Man.
I liked him in "A Scanner Darkly" in 2006.

I guess that makes your earlier point.

Old 07-29-2018, 07:27 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,643,875 times
Quote:
Those movies weren't hits because of Downey and Travolta. In fact, Travolta's career had more or less flatlined. He wasn't a draw. He hadn't been for a few years.

In both cases, it was the movie that made them stars again.
I'm going to quibble with that. 1) Travolta's name WAS still a draw. 2) I agree not as much of one as when he was A-list, but to say that the movie would have been equally successful w/o him? We can't ever know, but his performance was brilliant, so I tend towards 'not as great' w/o him. Samuel L. Jackson to me was the real star power, and his performance was out of the park, but he needed a suitable partner.

QT wasn't doing him a favor out of the goodness of his heart, he knew what JT could bring. He wanted that for JT, sure, but also for his movie!

Same for IM. The Director knew that RDJ just IS Tony Stark. I guess a lot of people could be IM, but less to be Tony Stark. And he knew what RDJ could bring, also not a favor. He was a personal risk, but no one was like 'meh' about his acting abilities and draw for the audience.

Iron Man 1 remains my favorite of all Marvel movies, and I do not think that would be the case with a lesser Tony Stark. Tom Cruise. Please. Makes me laugh everytime I think about that.

Old 07-30-2018, 02:09 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,648,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I'm going to quibble with that. 1) Travolta's name WAS still a draw. 2) I agree not as much of one as when he was A-list, but to say that the movie would have been equally successful w/o him? We can't ever know, but his performance was brilliant, so I tend towards 'not as great' w/o him. Samuel L. Jackson to me was the real star power, and his performance was out of the park, but he needed a suitable partner.
Travolta wasn't getting good roles. Yes, he was making some money. He did the Look Who's Talking movies (which get progressively worse). But he wasn't an item. After Pulp Fiction, he was. (Yes, he turned in a very memorable if not classic performance, but he didn't write it).

Look at his filmography immediately before and immediately after Pulp Fiction. After that film, every movie and entertainment rag was looking at him again and generating loads of copy on his whereabouts. I remember the article for White Man's Burden. The journo wrote it up like the next "it" movie, an edgy role reversal concerning a "privileged" black man and a disenfranchised white male. Then John got Get Shorty and crushed it again as Chili Palmer. Then Broken Arrow. Phenomenon. Face/Off. Primary Colors. A Civil Action. Swordfish. He went from being a guy who was probably going to have to compete with Steve Guttenberg for work to an in-demand dramatic actor. And even better for Travolta: his post-Pulp career has brought him tons more work.

Quote:
Same for IM. The Director knew that RDJ just IS Tony Stark. I guess a lot of people could be IM, but less to be Tony Stark. And he knew what RDJ could bring, also not a favor. He was a personal risk, but no one was like 'meh' about his acting abilities and draw for the audience.
Nobody's said that.

Quote:
Iron Man 1 remains my favorite of all Marvel movies, and I do not think that would be the case with a lesser Tony Stark. Tom Cruise. Please. Makes me laugh everytime I think about that.
The first Iron Man remains one of Marvel's very best films, ten years later. It's just too bad both sequels got nowhere near it, and the ad-libbing/quipping has gotten so out of hand.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
T

The first Iron Man remains one of Marvel's very best films, ten years later. It's just too bad both sequels got nowhere near it, and the ad-libbing/quipping has gotten so out of hand.
Indeed on both counts. Iron Man 3 being the worst.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:39 PM

24,845 posts, read 9,605,459 times
Quote:
RDJ was paid only 500K for Iron Man. Originally you said he was paid more than the entire cast of BP, which is not true.
You do know RDJ made more than 1 Marvel movie right?

It is true, should I show you his paycheck for Civil War and Infinity Wars? They could make 4 Black Panther movies and RDJ would still get paid more than the entire main cast of Black Panther.

Quote:
So how much does it take to hire Robert Downey Jr. for an appearance in a Marvel movie? Well, if the past is any indication, $50 million would be the number to beat. That was the figure Marvel Studios signed over for Downey Jr.'s participation in The Avengers.
https://www.cinemablend.com/new/Huge...a-3-67685.html

Last edited by Rocko20; 07-30-2018 at 08:00 PM..

Old 07-30-2018, 07:47 PM

24,845 posts, read 9,605,459 times
Quote:
I have literally no idea how much the other actors are worth. I'm only saying the success of the movie is not what determines that. RDJ's pay was commiserate with the star power he brought to Iron Man, Chadwick did not do that. Any number of actors could have played BP and bring in the same audience.
The point is that Black Panther is overrated and the irony of the cast being largely underpaid for Marvels biggest movie. No one knew who Chadwick Boseman was but there are several other proven household name black actors in the movie.

People champion an overrated Black Panther as some great achievement while the actors will never receive the financial rewards of their part in making it an "overrated great achievement."

Old 07-31-2018, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
You do know RDJ made more than 1 Marvel movie right?

It is true, should I show you his paycheck for Civil War and Infinity Wars? They could make 4 Black Panther movies and RDJ would still get paid more than the entire main cast of Black Panther.

https://www.cinemablend.com/new/Huge...a-3-67685.html
Well, duh, NOW he is paid that much. It's not limited to comparing to only Black Panther. He is the highest paid actor in the world now. So you could say everyone else in all the Marvel movies are getting 'ripped off'.

You're comparing a mega-star to one that just got his first breakthrough role. And Boseman personally was paid more for BP than RDJ for Iron Man 1. Which is closer to apples to apples.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:28 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,995,007 times
This Leslie Jones(from Saturday Night Live) tweet is just hilarious... priceless.

Leslie Jones live-tweeted watching Avengers: Infinity War for the first time, and it's amazing

Leslie Jones Live-Tweeted Watching Avengers: Infinity War | News Flash | Entertainment Weekly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r23w4JMtDeU

Old 08-10-2018, 01:50 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,132,937 times
Quote:
Indeed on both counts. Iron Man 3 being the worst.
They ruined a good character in the Mandarin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies