Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 10:05 AM

5,461 posts, read 8,180,020 times

Advertisements

Sad, one of my favorites:

Hollywood Legend Jack Nicholson Retires From Acting | Radar

No Chief to rescue him this time:

The Chief and McMurphy escape. (One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest) - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 03:08 PM

415 posts, read 599,820 times
The reason is because Hollywood movies are at their lowest quality these past 15 years than they've ever been:

1. Constant remakes (both foreign and domestic).
2. Constant rehashing of old franchises (Predator, Aliens, Halloween).
3. Constant sequels.
4. Constant book or TV show adaptations.
5. The few new movies that come out are usually being hogged by the same actors we've been seeing for over a decade: Pitt, Clooney, Crowe, Wahlberg, Damon, Norton, DiCaprio, etc. When are we gonna see new stars?

You have to remember Jack Nicholson came to prominence during the New Hollywood:

Quote:
The films they made were part of the studio system, and these individuals were not "independent filmmakers", but they introduced subject matter and styles that set them apart from the studio traditions that an earlier generation had established ca. 1920s-1950s. New Hollywood has also been defined as a broader filmmaking movement influenced by this period, which has been called the “Hollywood renaissance”.
New Hollywood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Say what you will about Hollywood films from the 60s and 70s, but they were much, much more artistically creative than the junk that has been produced in the U.S. film industry within the past 15 years. For an actor to have come of age during that time and now finds himself in this age of Hollywood filmmaking must be artistically unfulfilling.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:46 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,584,060 times
He is denying this...

Old 09-04-2013, 04:46 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigGuy View Post
Say what you will about Hollywood films from the 60s and 70s, but they were much, much more artistically creative than the junk that has been produced in the U.S. film industry within the past 15 years. For an actor to have come of age during that time and now finds himself in this age of Hollywood filmmaking must be artistically unfulfilling.
All of the really good filmmaking is on TV now. TV has yet to be buried in special effects and still values real drama.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
All of the really good filmmaking is on TV now. TV has yet to be buried in special effects and still values real drama.
Since 2008, I can count the number of hours I watch T.V. in a year on one hand. T.V. is buried in constant reality shows. I hate reality shows. When will T.V. stop it?

Old 09-04-2013, 05:15 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
It was reportedly just a "rumor" that he is retiring according to one of Jack's spokespersons and reported tonight by Brian Williams on the National News.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:22 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Yikes! That's super scary!

IMO, there isn't any good stuff anywhere these days. I watch the oldies (like Cuckoo's Nest) over and over and over. They simply don't make 'em like that anymore. These days it's all about slutty behavior and who can squeeze in the most foul language.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:23 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
Quote:
I keep hearing this, but I don't get it. TV is flooded with reality shows or dry crime dramas that all look alike to me. I'm not much of a TV watcher as it is, though. I spend most of my time on Netflix or other places watching sitcoms from the 80s or 90s. They have a nice happy medium between being silly while not being downright trashy like a lot of TV today.

Even if it's not reality TV, the popular "serious shows" that are out today just don't appeal to me. The only one I like is Walking Dead.

The rest of them either don't appeal to me or are in their third or fourth season and I don't have time to sit down and catch up on them. That's another reason why I prefer the film medium to TV. It's more self-contained.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:26 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigGuy View Post
The reason is because Hollywood movies are at their lowest quality these past 15 years than they've ever been:

1. Constant remakes (both foreign and domestic).
2. Constant rehashing of old franchises (Predator, Aliens, Halloween).
3. Constant sequels.
4. Constant book or TV show adaptations.
5. The few new movies that come out are usually being hogged by the same actors we've been seeing for over a decade: Pitt, Clooney, Crowe, Wahlberg, Damon, Norton, DiCaprio, etc. When are we gonna see new stars?

You have to remember Jack Nicholson came to prominence during the New Hollywood:

New Hollywood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm sorry, but I just can't get into movies made before the 80s. They're dry and I'm bored within five minutes.

Which is weird, because I really enjoy reading older literature. I'll read Shakespeare, Dickens, and all those types without breaking a sweat. But Citizen Kane? Still haven't finished it to this day.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I'm sorry, but I just can't get into movies made before the 80s. They're dry and I'm bored within five minutes.

Which is weird, because I really enjoy reading older literature. I'll read Shakespeare, Dickens, and all those types without breaking a sweat. But Citizen Kane? Still haven't finished it to this day.
I can't get into bluegrass music but I admit it is of better technical quality than Miley Cyrus, Kesha, and Lil Wayne.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies