Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 06:05 PM

37,799 posts, read 41,000,307 times

Advertisements

I liked it when I saw it the first time. I haven't seen it since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 09:50 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,026,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Spike sent a clear message that if things don't go your way, you can tear up some else's stuff.......
Such as when one of your best friends is murdered in your presence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
He never said it was "ok". As many times as I've seen the movie I've never got the impression that he was endorsing these acts as things to do. He was telling a story.
Yeah, that's pretty obvious to me. But clearly not to every poster on here!

Old 07-11-2013, 09:59 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,372,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Why do we spin bad behavior as something noble?? Just telling a story? Yes...he was telling a story. But stories oftimes have a "moral" to it. A lesson.....you cannot tell me that Spike didn't always tell a message. Fishburne's "WAAAAKE UPP!!", in School Daze........... Snipes' grabbing that Crack ho at the end of Jungle Fever and screaming "NOOOOOO!"

Do The Right Thing is No different........Spike sent a clear message that if things don't go your way, you can tear up some else's stuff.......

Another message was clear in that Sal was suppose to have black folks on the wall of HIS pizza joint! His store!! The store he built. I agreed with Sal.....start your own shop if you want to have your people displayed. Geeez....did Buggin Out even have a job??????

Black people aren't above being influenced by pop culture. It's not about "simple-mindedness. ALL PEOPLE FALL UNDER THIS CATEGORY! Black folk are not exempt from that strong influence.

You better believe that "some" black people came out of the theatre thinking that civil disobedience was cool....and some did not!
Yeah I have never put that much thought in a movie. Its something to watch for 2 hours before I go back to real life. Glad I'm able to watch movies and enjoy them without disecting them looking for morals and messages.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:09 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,859,470 times
Quote:
Yeah I have never put that much thought in a movie. Its something to watch for 2 hours before I go back to real life. Glad I'm able to watch movies and enjoy them without disecting them looking for morals and messages.
Is someone makes a movie with a moral or message in the title, then it is natural (for most people) to look for one.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:50 AM

26,720 posts, read 26,793,862 times
I remember seeing this in a theater in 1989. As the late critic Roger Ebert said, "It tells an honest, unsentimental story about those who are left behind....'Do the Right Thing' doesn't ask its audiences to choose sides; it is scrupulously fair to both sides, in a story where it is our society itself that is not fair."

I forgot how good Danny Aiello was in this.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:17 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,000,180 times
I liked it, but hated the ending. How destructive and irresponsible and stupid the character was! It fed into the stereotype of blacks being violent. The ending made no sense.

Also, Radio Raheem worked my nerves. What happened to him didn't effect me at all. Yes, it was unjustified (what happened), no excuse for it.

On a lighter note, those pizzas were probably delicious. I'm beginning to crave one now.

I also liked how the owner complimented Mookie's (?) sister. He thought she had pretty eyes. I liked Mookie's sister's voice and demeanor, even her style (pretty sundress and hat).

Old 07-12-2013, 06:02 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,372,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Is someone makes a movie with a moral or message in the title, then it is natural (for most people) to look for one.
Yeah but I've never sat and wondered "did they do the right thing? Was he advocating this or that?"

Plenty of movies have morals. Crash. Higher Learning. Benjamin Buttons.

I enjoy the movie, acknowledge the point they were trying to make & move on. I just don't believe that Spike Lee was trying to motivate, encourage, inspire...whatever word you wanna use people to riot. That just sounds stupid to me. His responsibility is to entertain me; not to impact my moral character.

That's like the movie Radio Flyer. I love that movie but if we wanna be technical it basically says "hey if your stepdad is drunk & kicking your butt don't go get help & ruin your moms happiness! RUN AWAY!".

Last edited by nat_at772; 07-12-2013 at 06:32 PM..

Old 07-12-2013, 08:19 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,540,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Yep...........

The Mayor - Do The Right Thing - YouTube

Another message...........one in the end, that Spike ignored with the trash can thrown thru the window.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I remember seeing this in a theater in 1989. As the late critic Roger Ebert said, "It tells an honest, unsentimental story about those who are left behind....'Do the Right Thing' doesn't ask its audiences to choose sides; it is scrupulously fair to both sides, in a story where it is our society itself that is not fair."

I forgot how good Danny Aiello was in this.
Ebert has his opinion...........

Old 07-12-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
sure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies