Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 05:45 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,859,470 times

Advertisements

What do you think of this Spike Lee film?

I have been almost afraid to watch it. I finally got the DVD a few weeks ago and watched it last night. I had not seen it in the 20 plus years since it came out on Video rental shortly after its theatrical release. That was a year or two before the LA riots, and they used to say that the riots were partly inspired by this film.

But it was not nearly as bad as I remember. Well...maybe if you have never seen it, then it might be a little shocking. But it helps that I knew what to expect. (I think in general movies are more enjoyable sometimes if you already are familiar with the story/plot). I also had a clearer perspective on Spike Lee's character's actions during the climax.

I'd appreciate any thoughts about this film.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 08:41 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,676,380 times
Radio Rahim

Old 07-09-2013, 09:36 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,392,514 times
Classic film "Extra cheese is $2" ha ha...did you notice the pizza was only $1.50....It was a drama/comedy imo- that's everyday life in "urban communities"

if you take offense to things too easily don't read the quote- Only for the mature

Spoiler
Mookie: ****, wop, guinea, garlic-breath, pizza-slingin', spaghetti-bendin', Vic Damone, Perry Como, Luciano Pavarotti, Sole Mio, nonsingin' mother****er.
Pino: You gold-teeth-gold-chain-wearin', fried-chicken-and-biscuit-eatin', monkey, ape, baboon, big thigh, fast-runnin', high-jumpin', spear-chuckin', three-hundred-sixty-degree-basketball-dunkin' titsun spade Moulan Yan. Take your ****in' pizza-pizza and go the **** back to Africa.
Stevie: You little slanty-eyed, me-no-speaky-American, own-every-fruit-and-vegetable-stand-in-New-York, bull****, Reverend Sun Myung Moon, Summer Olympics '88, Korean kick-boxing son of a *****.
Officer Long: You Goya bean-eating, fifteen in a car, thirty in an apartment, pointed shoes, red-wearing, Menudo, mire-mire Puerto Rican **********. Yeah, you!
Sonny: It's cheap, I got a good price for you, Mayor Koch, "How I'm doing," chocolate-egg-cream-drinking, bagel-and-lox, B'nai B'rith Jew *******.
Mister Senor Love Daddy: Yo! Hold up! Time out! TIME OUT! Y'all take a chill! Ya need to cool that **** out! And that's the double truth, Ruth!

Old 07-09-2013, 09:46 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,777,431 times
The only Spike Lee movie I enjoyed. Though the ending seemed a little irresponsible, but that's to be expected from a guy like Lee.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:53 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,392,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
The only Spike Lee movie I enjoyed. Though the ending seemed a little irresponsible, but that's to be expected from a guy like Lee.
what made the ending irresponsible?

Old 07-09-2013, 12:41 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,777,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
what made the ending irresponsible?
The message was, "it's ok to riot and vandalize someone's place of business because the police brutalized someone who was being unruly and belligerent in that place of business". When Lee was asked whether or not his character "did the right thing" by tossing a garbage can through the window and inciting a riot, he responded with "only whites ask that question, and those that do value a white man's business over a black man's death". To me, that's irresponsible. Oddly enough, Lee has criticized Django Unchained as irresponsible without even seeing the movie. He has an axe to grind with Tarantino, a much more talented and successful filmmaker.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:46 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,600,221 times
A classic film.

@ Coolhand68: Not baiting here, I'd like an honest discussion: are you white?

Old 07-09-2013, 02:35 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,108,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
A classic film.
For sure. Loved it.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Radio Rahim
That was a weakness to the end of the film, and the whole plot. How could an entire community care so much about an obnoxious troublemaker like Radio Rahim? It was not realistic and cheapened the story.

I have tried watching at least one other Spike Lee film. But I just can't get into them. In fact, I had to skip through a lot of this film due to so many obnoxious scenes.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
The message was, "it's ok to riot and vandalize someone's place of business because the police brutalized someone who was being unruly and belligerent in that place of business". When Lee was asked whether or not his character "did the right thing" by tossing a garbage can through the window and inciting a riot, he responded with "only whites ask that question, and those that do value a white man's business over a black man's death". To me, that's irresponsible. Oddly enough, Lee has criticized Django Unchained as irresponsible without even seeing the movie. He has an axe to grind with Tarantino, a much more talented and successful filmmaker.
It's also hypocritical and doesn't say much for Spike Lee and his fans. Obnoxious guy with radio tries to kill a good man because he busted his radio after playing it obnoxiously. He was pushing for that to happen and he never had good intentions. What choice did Sal have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies