Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2013, 08:00 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,216,228 times

Advertisements

I started this thread beause I'm sort of excited about Elysium (August release). It has Jodie Foster and Matt Damon, both good actors with good track records. According to the wiki write up the movie is about other issues than overpopulation like immigration and class which really disappointing and somewhat stupid because it seems pretty clear that overpopulation is the bigger issue but oh well, still looks cool. I hope its not overtaken by many and long CGI action sequences, for me some are ok but there are often too many. In the trailers there certainly seems to be enough for most people. The director did District 9 which I've heard good things about about but not watched.

Elysium is an upcoming science fiction film written and directed by Neill Blomkamp. The film stars Matt Damon, Jodie Foster, Sharlto Copley, Wagner Moura and Alice Braga.[3] It is scheduled to be released on August 9, 2013 and will be distributed by TriStar Pictures.[4] Elysium takes place on a ravaged Earth and a luxurious space habitat named Elysium.[5] The film will explore political themes such as "immigration, health care and class issues".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIBtePb-dGY

Oblivion with Tom Cruise. Well technically this isn't upcoming, I guess its around now. Ive seen TC on the talk show circuit promoting it.
Looks like a space version of mission impossible even if the character starts out as more of the common man. But thats just me, I'm pretty over Tom Cruise and his constant supply of designed to be a Hollywood blockbuster action movie machine. Reviews say its visually amazing (of course TC is in it) but not original. Some like it, some don't, some like parts of it and not others.

Oblivion (2013) - IMDb

The rest of this list comes from a website Den of the Geek to give credit. Never been to the site, just used this list I found.
10 Sci-Fi Films To Look Forward To In 2013 | Den of Geek

Robot and Frank. Different. I guess it actually came out in Aug 2012 though this is on his 2013 list. I think it looks kind of good. 87% on the Rotten Tomatoes meter. Good cast.
Set in the near future, Frank, a retired cat burglar, has two grown kids who are concerned he can no longer live alone. They are tempted to place him in a nursing home until Frank's son chooses a different option: against the old man's wishes, he buys Frank a walking, talking humanoid robot programmed to improve his physical and mental health. What follows is an often hilarious and somewhat heartbreaking story about finding friends and family in the most unexpected places. -- (C) Samuel Goldwyn

Pacific Rim. Del Toro is a good director but I'm not sure this is my kind of movie. Should please others who like this genre though.
Pacific Rim is an upcoming 2013 American science fiction film directed by Guillermo del Toro and written by del Toro and Travis Beacham. The film is set in a near future where soldiers piloting giant robots battle against invading giant monsters who have mysteriously risen from beneath the ocean. Del Toro has said the film will be "a beautiful poem to giant monsters".[1] Pacific Rim is also known as Warner Bros.

Worlds End - the Shaun of the Dead guys are back
Five friends who reunite in an attempt to top their epic pub crawl from 20 years earlier unwittingly become humankind's only hope for survival.

Enders Game - read the book so long ago I barely remember the plot but I remember being amazed by the book and really liking it.

The Prototype - I like this premise
The Prototype is an upcoming action / science fiction film directed by Andrew Will and being produced by Variant Films, Sunrise Pictures and Brillstein Entertainment Partners. The film is about a military robot that escapes from a Federal Bureau of Investigation evidence storage facility. The film was first announced in June 21, 2012. A proof-of-concept teaser trailer was released. The film is in pre-production.

Gravity.
Idon't know about this, I think the casting turns this into something Hollywood in a way that turns out badly but we'll see. And drifting around in space? Not really plausible. But I'll watch it at some point for sure, love space movies.
Gravity is an upcoming drama film co-written, produced, co-edited and directed by Alfonso Cuarón. The film stars Sandra Bullock and George Clooney as surviving astronauts in a damaged space station.
Cuarón wrote the screenplay with his son Jonás and attempted to develop the project at Universal Pictures. The project found traction at Warner Bros. instead and the studio approached multiple actresses before casting Bullock in the female lead role. Robert Downey, Jr. was also involved as the male lead before leaving the project and being replaced by Clooney.
Gravity will be released on October 4, 2013.

Star Trek Into Dankness - release in May? I kinda liked Chris Pine as the young Kirk before so I'm in.

When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis. With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction. As our heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death, love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart, and sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew.

After Earth - IDK, its a Smith family adventure, set in the future, whatever

Catching Fire hunger Games #2

Last edited by Giesela; 04-20-2013 at 08:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 03:57 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
I've got high hopes for the upcoming (November) Enders Game, the book was great, lets hope the Movie can match it..Looks promising.
Ender's Game Official Trailer #2 (2013) - Asa Butterfield, Harrison Ford Movie HD - YouTube

Elysium didnt do much for me,, very political.
Startrek into Darkness was great as is all Startrek
I'm really looking forward to the upcoming Starwars trilogy, whenever that might be,.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:04 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
From the responses i can see why quality Sci-Fi movies are few and far between, no ones interested except me and the op..

Old 10-13-2013, 04:11 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
Ender's Game looks promising, though it's nothing I'm dying to see.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:45 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,141,481 times
oblivion didn't suck, thanks to andrea riseborough's performance, who saved the movie for me anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies