Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe in Wholesome Entertainment for families?
Yes! 8 100.00%
No! 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 12:57 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,395,649 times

Advertisements

I don't understand what you mean by "believe" in wholesome family movies but if you mean enjoy them, then no. I haven't really liked that kind of thing since I was a kid. Like another poster wrote, I find them bland, boring and dull.

But I never watched movies with my family so the content wasn't really an issue. But as an expecting mom, I know I'll need to get over that for my own family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 04:17 PM

8 posts, read 11,107 times
What I am asking is if you support wholesome family entertainment! It seems that a wide variety of people have mixed feelings about whether they would like more g-rated movies. Many in fact uphold the support movies that contain adult entertainment and by that I mean they say that movies would be boring if they did not have sexual content as well as the bad language that is so prevalent in movies today. Do we want our young children to be subjected to this? Would this be good for their up-bring? Sad to say but at the same time it is good to say that there are a few that speak in favor of good wholesome entertainment for their families.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:40 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,395,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dflmoviesales View Post
What I am asking is if you support wholesome family entertainment! It seems that a wide variety of people have mixed feelings about whether they would like more g-rated movies. Many in fact uphold the support movies that contain adult entertainment and by that I mean they say that movies would be boring if they did not have sexual content as well as the bad language that is so prevalent in movies today. Do we want our young children to be subjected to this? Would this be good for their up-bring? Sad to say but at the same time it is good to say that there are a few that speak in favor of good wholesome entertainment for their families.
I think for kids, yes, clean, family-oriented programming is best but for me, as an adult, no, its not my preference.

Also, are you asking this question mainly for parents with kids or anybody?

Old 04-22-2013, 05:42 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,502,030 times
Movies and tv aren't what they were in the 80s, I'll tell you what.

More stuff that a huge variety of people could enjoy vs now where it's very stratified.

They don't have to be G movies. There were tons of PG movies and PG 13 adventures that really any kid would enjoy...now it's either the kids like the movie or the parents do (with very few that cross both).

Old 04-22-2013, 05:47 PM

Here's a list from the 2000s...except for Shrek, Harry Potter, Star Wars, and Nemo, most of these movies would not be appropriate or enjoyable for all age ranges. In fact, I didn't think most of these movies were very good at all...I doubt most kids would:

100 Greatest Movies of the 2000s

Compare to this list:

100 Greatest Movies of the 1980s

Old 04-22-2013, 09:19 PM

6,887 posts, read 11,271,878 times
Smile This place used to send me movies for the family

Feature Films for Families

(I believe they are in Utah)

Sometimes, the funniest movies are the ones like Shrek. My kids were born in 1984 and 1989 and we all watched the TGIF lineup every Friday night AS A FAMILY! Those shows were great - today, gosh, I just don't know.

Personally, I'm sick of reality TV and I think they're out of ideas.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:25 AM

Yup. My family (mom, dad, little bro) all had a Friday night tradition of pizza and TGIF (80s and 90s).

Old 04-23-2013, 05:51 PM

13,585 posts, read 15,715,144 times
I recently re-watched Breaking Away. I highly recommend this film for families.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:05 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,209,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Do I believe family movies exist? Or do I believe they should exist? Or do I believe there should be more of them? Or do I believe people should make a point of seeking them out? Or do I believe the term is even meaningful any more?

For me, "wholesome" is usually a code word implying timid, bland, and boring.
Timid, bland, and boring...

Oh, I guess like "Fiddler on the Roof," or "The Sound of Music," or "To Kill A Mockingbird," or "The Wizard of Oz," or Princess Bride," or "The King and I," or "Black Stallion," or "The Yearling," or "Swiss Family Robinson," or "Gone With the Wind," or "Big Fish," or "Fantasia," or "Hugo," or "PeeWee's Big Adventure," or "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles..."

Yep, such boring, timid, bland movies... NOT!

Old 04-23-2013, 06:47 PM

1,887 posts, read 2,037,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Timid, bland, and boring...

Oh, I guess like "Fiddler on the Roof," or "The Sound of Music," or "To Kill A Mockingbird," or "The Wizard of Oz," or Princess Bride," or "The King and I," or "Black Stallion," or "The Yearling," or "Swiss Family Robinson," or "Gone With the Wind," or "Big Fish," or "Fantasia," or "Hugo," or "PeeWee's Big Adventure," or "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles..."

Yep, such boring, timid, bland movies... NOT!
Planes Trains and Automobiles has that one scene where Steve Martin repeatedly swears at the rental agent. My brother's been watching it since he was 3, but we always had to fast forward that part!

Pee Wee's Big Adventure is brilliant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies