Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 08:14 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,166,640 times

Advertisements

Oh the 80's..................

*sighs*

Man, do I miss them!

Anyboidy wanna trade Garbage Pail Kids while we talk about whose Pillow Person is better?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 08:16 PM

I remember my cousin and I sitting in front of the mirror for what seemed like hours, to get our hair teased as hig as possible, then spraying a boatload of Aqua Net on it.

The mirror in my bedroom had a nasty crust of hairspray all over it. LOL

Old 07-19-2012, 08:19 PM

Remember The Cannonball Run and The Cannonball Run II?

*loved them*

Old 07-19-2012, 09:57 PM

2,132 posts, read 4,925,713 times
Atari's "Real Soon Now" promises for products that looked too good to be true, and usually were.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:07 PM

10,349 posts, read 14,028,241 times
As I saw this thread I saw tuned to Transformers on Hub. It is followed by GI Joe later on. The 80s had great cartoons.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:19 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,166,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
I remember my cousin and I sitting in front of the mirror for what seemed like hours, to get our hair teased as hig as possible, then spraying a boatload of Aqua Net on it.

This makes me think of my sister and all her friends. Everyone can thank the teenage girls of the eighties for single handedly killing our Ozone...I loved the eighties too. Great movies. And like one poster said, we were always outside-unlike these huge fat a s kids today...Think about it, black bears are around 300 pounds. Some people outweigh bears today by a good margin.

I remember getting an Atari too. Pac-man was the best. God I loved that game. Only Miss pac man was better. Activision sucked. I think that's what it was called. I was outdoors from about 7 am til about 12pm every summer night. Then would sneak back out around 2 am to go pool hopping with my friends. That's where you would swim in someones pool that you didn't know. We almost got busted several times, but we were fast kids. Being mischievous was fun..Heavy metal ruled.

Anyone remember those Coca cola shirts??? I admit fashion wasn't the best in that decade, but who cares? Remember rolling the bottom of your pants? Guess jeans were popular then. Garbage pal kids. God I remember buying those when I was a kid. Anyone remember those stickers that would smell???

And whoever mentioned being a ninja was so spot on. Me and my friends would get smoke bombs and swords and chinese stars, etc, etc and go into the woods and fight like we were really ninjas...So silly..

The eighties definately rocked. I can remember staying up all night watching mtv..Especially in the early years of MTV. I'm talking early eighties. Remember when you could vote if a video was good or not? Those were the days..

I don't know how I survived. My friends and I used to be reckless with our GT Pro performers, Hutch's, Haro's etc. We would fly across the roads without looking to see if a car was coming. I'm talking about when your cruising and an intersection or just street was coming up and there would be a building blocking the views so you couldn't see if a car was coming. We would just cruise on through without a care in the world..Reckless as all hell.. Could have been killed so many times. I think about that alot.. Riding ramps without a helmet because we didn't need them back then.

And the biggest one, there was no politically correct way of saying anything. We just said how we felt. We didn't have to edit our lives....

Old 07-20-2012, 02:42 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,621,121 times
The 80's were the birth of the Brat Pack. I feel old now.

I remember waking up on Saturday mornings and watching shows that were actually funny and entertaining. I tried to watch some children's shows with my friend's daughter last week and thought to myself "Who writes this crap?" None of it was funny.

I mean we had:

Looney Tunes
Fraggle Rock
Tom & Jerry
The Magic Garden
Romper Room
The Snorks
The Great Space Coaster
The Muppet Show
Electric Company
3-2-1 Contact

I also remember Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas coming on HBO every year. I miss that!!

Old 07-23-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
This makes me think of my sister and all her friends. Everyone can thank the teenage girls of the eighties for single handedly killing our Ozone...I loved the eighties too. Great movies. And like one poster said, we were always outside-unlike these huge fat a s kids today...Think about it, black bears are around 300 pounds. Some people outweigh bears today by a good margin.

I remember getting an Atari too. Pac-man was the best. God I loved that game. Only Miss pac man was better. Activision sucked. I think that's what it was called. I was outdoors from about 7 am til about 12pm every summer night. Then would sneak back out around 2 am to go pool hopping with my friends. That's where you would swim in someones pool that you didn't know. We almost got busted several times, but we were fast kids. Being mischievous was fun..Heavy metal ruled.

Anyone remember those Coca cola shirts??? I admit fashion wasn't the best in that decade, but who cares? Remember rolling the bottom of your pants? Guess jeans were popular then. Garbage pal kids. God I remember buying those when I was a kid. Anyone remember those stickers that would smell???

And whoever mentioned being a ninja was so spot on. Me and my friends would get smoke bombs and swords and chinese stars, etc, etc and go into the woods and fight like we were really ninjas...So silly..

The eighties definately rocked. I can remember staying up all night watching mtv..Especially in the early years of MTV. I'm talking early eighties. Remember when you could vote if a video was good or not? Those were the days..

I don't know how I survived. My friends and I used to be reckless with our GT Pro performers, Hutch's, Haro's etc. We would fly across the roads without looking to see if a car was coming. I'm talking about when your cruising and an intersection or just street was coming up and there would be a building blocking the views so you couldn't see if a car was coming. We would just cruise on through without a care in the world..Reckless as all hell.. Could have been killed so many times. I think about that alot.. Riding ramps without a helmet because we didn't need them back then.

And the biggest one, there was no politically correct way of saying anything. We just said how we felt. We didn't have to edit our lives....

Ha! I remmember rolling my jean cuffs up too!

And staying out late. I remember either our parents would call us in (you could hear when it got to be dusk ALL the parents yelling for their kids, LOL). We had once chance. If they had to call us again, we were in trouble. Then later on, we were told to come home when it got to be dusk. If we had to be called in, we were in trouble. If we were REALLY lucky and it was the summer or weekend night, we could all go back out after dinner and play tag or ghost in the graveyard.

We had Atari.

I remember - since no cell phones - my mother made us look for all the call boxes on the side of the highway "just in case".

Oh, and watching Headbanger's Ball!

Old 07-28-2012, 09:59 AM

326 posts, read 951,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post

Then did you use your blow dryer to make it even harder? Robert Smith of the Cure was my hair idol and there was only one way to get hair that high and stiff. Aqua Net and heat. Surprised I didn't go up like Michael Jackson in that Pepsi commercial accident.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:12 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,766,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Hell Yeah! Ultimate Warrior, baby! He was my idol, terrorizing my school mates with his wrestling moves! He he he..
Watching MTV was fun back in the 80s, even VH1!
Cost of living was a lot more reasonable. Heck I wouldn't have to win the lottery or rob a bank to be able to buy a friggin' house in So Cal back then nor take out a 2nd on the house to fill up the gas tank!
I liked the often wacky yet colorful, daring fashion of the decade. The only decade where male rock band members look just as pretty is not prettier than their female counterparts.

Even though the recession we are in today arguably started back in the 80s, the economy was still strong and so was America's worldwide reputation.

No James Hung, no Justin Bieber, no Lady Gaga, no Kardashians, no Snooki no reality TV! No constant news about Brangelina or Jennifer Aniston!
Most "truly" talented acts born within the previous 5 decades were still alive.

No crazy Tsunamis or Earthquakes all over the place! Twin Towers were still standing and we didn't have to get a full physical due to "random" screening at the airports, airline travel was fun!

You could still communicate and interact with random kids without worrying about getting labeled as a potential "pedo".

Almost all of the jobs were still in the US.

Things were still commonly made in the USA.

You didn't worry this much about loosing your job or finding a new one.

Every other kid didn't have ADD.

There were hardly any cell phones and most importantly no texting drivers!

No Fart...I mean Facebook! No delusional cyber lives....

Were you really ever that innocent? I know I wasn't.

I still do all that!
.....and there we have one of the best summaries of the 80's and why so many people including myself were so grateful to have come of age at this time period. Don't forget Miami Vice!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies