Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2020, 07:20 PM

181 posts, read 167,029 times

Advertisements

I recently rented a UTV and drove it in dunes just north of Coos Bay, OR, and this was great fun. I'm not thinking of getting into ATVing seriously, because I know I'd only do it once a year if that - but I have a Mazda CX-5 crossover SUV that does remarkably well on ice/snow with winter tires. I keep thinking about testing it out in the sand - I even got myself an ATV permit.

I intentionally don't say "in the dunes" because I know it will get stuck on actual dunes. But what mileage (if any) do you folks think I can get out of it NEAR the dunes, e.g. on roads around them or in between them in the ATV area? I've seen RVs there after all.

I'm thinking of a place like Horsfall Beach: https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/232183. Putting on the right tires would be my limit money-wise (I'd appreciate any advice on what such tires may be!). And of course I would deflate them a bit for the sand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2020, 01:36 PM

10,317 posts, read 6,866,614 times
Only do this with a vehicle you do not care about. Off-roading, with onroad vehicles takes it's toll on driveline/steering systems. Get a Jeep if you want to do this. They better built for this, than your Mazda.

Old 08-02-2020, 05:41 PM

181 posts, read 167,029 times
Thanks for the opinion!

Old 08-03-2020, 10:10 AM

23,336 posts, read 18,903,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Only do this with a vehicle you do not care about. Off-roading, with onroad vehicles takes it's toll on driveline/steering systems. Get a Jeep if you want to do this. They better built for this, than your Mazda.
Sand, salty or not, is an abrasive. It will get packed everywhere. The more mineral salt it contains the faster things will corrode. I used to work at a barrier beach management area and our work vehicles were driven on the upper beach and adjacent sand trails very frequently. Never in the water itself. Even with diligent body and undercarriage powerwashing they were rust buckets in a very few years. Whenever I see auto ads showing people blithely driving on the beach it makes my toes curl. I wouldn't want to buy that vehicle!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles