Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 09:22 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,155,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I feel the same way. You have to make THEM fear you. Take command of the road, push ahead, press on. Timid riders are in far more danger of getting run over. Hesitate at your own peril.
I'm not clear why that's not taught in motorcycling courses. Defensive driving is a splendid way to put yourself at-mercy to cars. Most have mercy; we're civilized. A few do not. They will wreck your whole day. I gave all that up not long after learning to ride.

Offensive riding: Rule no. 1: cars, trucks, other obstacles are your ENEMY. Rule no. 2: there are no further rules, if you want to live. Want Marquis de Queensbury rules? Take the bus.

- Ride a bit faster than traffic, always be rolling up on others vs. the inverse when you can. Get around them, fast, before they know much about where you are. If they are moving to a new position, you should be ahead of it if they signal or not: rolling obstacles usually though not always telegraph their intentions.

- Do not ride behind trucks and other debris-throwing obstacles. Pass them ASAP at any hazard. Rules and laws about lane changes are irrelevant to dead people, i.e. you, if hit by a piece of tread at 60mph.

- People on two-lanes who "own the road" and violate laws by allowing many, many vehicles to stack behind them need to be passed. ALL of them. Quickly. On a bike that can get out of its own way, not a major problem. I will not be in a "traffic jam" on a bike, that's a great way to get crushed.

- When I rode in California, I never aligned dead center on a lane, or the bumper of any vehicle to my front: always to the gap to my right or left. When practicable, I went up that gap and passed by lane-sharing quickly as feasible. Panic stops could involve me being squashed from behind, so aim for the gap. Always. I avoided doom a few times that way.

- I will not hesitate to break any BS traffic laws when confronted by homicidal maniacs. They are very rare but not unheard of, I can think of maybe 10 in thirty years of commuting. I got the hell out of there, on OFFENSE, in each case. I'm still here typing these words using my own fingers. Maniacs are free to freak out on other motorists, not my problem.

- I have a fantastic attorney in my address book. He is called about every 18 months on-average and is 3/3 on "case dismissed" past c. 6 years. I call that "motorcycle tax," and just deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2019, 11:38 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,828,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
I live 'there' for the past 18 years: the mtns of western NC.
20 mins to entrance of the high elevation section of the Blue Ridge Pkway, and hundreds of miles of good, usually empty two lane winding black top roads, through the mtns and area little towns.

Never too hot at 'altitude', usually cool to chilly, though the rain/crap can come on in a NY Minute.

Little traffic, esp on weekday mid mornings, etc.

Have been riding for 55 years and have ridden my fanny off here in western NC the past 18 years...Alas, I too find myself riding less and less, and may off 2 or all 3 of my scoots. At 72, I find I don't have the reactions I used to and certainly not the courage/ballz to ride at anything near the pace/way I used to.
That is OK and I ride just for the 60 mph and under enjoyment, and very very carefully.

But, the serious azz reason is the ride that takes me anywhere near real towns/real traffic these days: much more crowded than it was a couple decades ago and nearly every idiot behind the wheel is either texting at speed, or constantly checking their fookin phones, heads down at every stop light to recheck, and on and on, ad nauseum. It is insidious and a plaque like activity and addiction...I would rather dodge drunks. They are trying to get home, under the radar. The distracted text/video/phone idiots are self anointed and have no clue what 88 to 100 feet per second 'is', going down the road.

I will certainly miss m/c ridig, but I may throw in the polishing towels and give it up/retire while I can.
GL, mD
Ship them down here... I'll be your scoots new daddy.

Old 09-24-2019, 05:02 AM

79 posts, read 50,803 times
Default What do you guys think about electric motorcycles?

What is your opinion? Let's hear!

Old 02-01-2020, 09:06 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,384,015 times
Never thought I’d be replying to this thread. Since I got my first motorcycle in 2014 it had been my hobby and obsession. Then kid #2 came in 2017, then wife started driving and we bought car #2 and suddenly I had no time to ride and no garage space to fit a motorcycle. I sold my last bike, a Harley Roadster, last October and at this juncture I can’t foresee myself buying something to replace it. It’s a bit sad but I’ve kind of accepted the fact that it may be time to move on and find another hobby.

Old 02-02-2020, 03:30 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,169,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
I'm not clear why that's not taught in motorcycling courses. Defensive driving is a splendid way to put yourself at-mercy to cars. Most have mercy; we're civilized. A few do not. They will wreck your whole day. I gave all that up not long after learning to ride.

Offensive riding: Rule no. 1: cars, trucks, other obstacles are your ENEMY. Rule no. 2: there are no further rules, if you want to live. Want Marquis de Queensbury rules? Take the bus.

- Ride a bit faster than traffic, always be rolling up on others vs. the inverse when you can. Get around them, fast, before they know much about where you are. If they are moving to a new position, you should be ahead of it if they signal or not: rolling obstacles usually though not always telegraph their intentions.

- Do not ride behind trucks and other debris-throwing obstacles. Pass them ASAP at any hazard. Rules and laws about lane changes are irrelevant to dead people, i.e. you, if hit by a piece of tread at 60mph.

- People on two-lanes who "own the road" and violate laws by allowing many, many vehicles to stack behind them need to be passed. ALL of them. Quickly. On a bike that can get out of its own way, not a major problem. I will not be in a "traffic jam" on a bike, that's a great way to get crushed.

- When I rode in California, I never aligned dead center on a lane, or the bumper of any vehicle to my front: always to the gap to my right or left. When practicable, I went up that gap and passed by lane-sharing quickly as feasible. Panic stops could involve me being squashed from behind, so aim for the gap. Always. I avoided doom a few times that way.

- I will not hesitate to break any BS traffic laws when confronted by homicidal maniacs. They are very rare but not unheard of, I can think of maybe 10 in thirty years of commuting. I got the hell out of there, on OFFENSE, in each case. I'm still here typing these words using my own fingers. Maniacs are free to freak out on other motorists, not my problem.

- I have a fantastic attorney in my address book. He is called about every 18 months on-average and is 3/3 on "case dismissed" past c. 6 years. I call that "motorcycle tax," and just deal with it.

Started riding in 62 and 41 bikes later still going.....did combat commuting in SoCal to preserve my sanity and agree 150% with your post.....aggressive all the way and take it to the "enemy".......timid slugs that do 60 these days are just fodder......did some stuff on the 160 mph bikes that would curl some hair.....I've backed off to an adv machine for my old age.....

Old 02-18-2020, 10:39 AM

924 posts, read 1,022,629 times
so since this last post, I havent been riding much on the streets. I do have a 701 enduro that I trail hop, but too many idiots on the road. Riding dirt and trail hoping is good enough for me. I mean I know I am still exposed to danger when I ride on road but for the most part I am usually in a small ADV group. we dont ride fast on the streets keep our distance. Just crazy because we go over 10 the limit and cars just still fly by us.

Believe we were going 75 on a 55 and its normal on that road to go that speed and everyone just guns it 80 mph. Same time, I dont want a speeding ticket. crazy how cagers drive when they see a motorcycle

Old 02-25-2020, 10:51 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,155,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
Believe we were going 75 on a 55 and its normal on that road to go that speed and everyone just guns it 80 mph. Same time, I dont want a speeding ticket. crazy how cagers drive when they see a motorcycle
No idea what the previous means. Wasn't aware "cagers" changed their driving habits when motorcycles are around, though I vaguely remember that "defensive driving" idiocy from c. early 1990s, in my case (first couple years I rode). Then I moved to CA and all bets are/were off, I learned to lane share, FAST, and do so in a way that did not involve more than 15mph speed delta between me and obstacles/automobiles. I believe that is the law. Go much faster at-peril.

Unf, rest of the nation does not subscribe to this. I've never really gotten over not having that as an option here in WA State. Traffic one step from gridlocked, e.g. the Bay Bridge westbound into the City at 7:30am M-F, you'd better lane share or you aren't going anywhere ( that was 22 years ago; dunno if any better now). Eastbound, one Thursday about 5:30pm, out of the city on Harrison St. was the first and last time I ever road on the sidewalk. Briefly, anyway, as I'm only a bit of a maniac. Still, that truly was gridlocked a few times and the only way out was between the obstacles.

If you're riding on offense, how obstacles drive is irreverent, you're ahead of them and accelerating away, almost all the time, or between a couple cars as screens if stopped. Further assumes you're not:

- Riding a "scooter" or other suicidal slow, exposed contraption;
- "dirt bike" on the street; been there, done that, see previous;
- c. 1400cc "cruiser" making 59hp at the wheel and weighs 649lbs;
- afraid to be pro-active and assertive in removing hazards from your path.

Old 02-26-2020, 08:42 PM

25 posts, read 50,184 times
Quote:
scared something can truly happen at any time...
One little detail you didn't say if you had kids or a significant other

Old 02-26-2020, 08:48 PM

25 posts, read 50,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I have an 80 yo gal friend that is approaching 2m miles on her BMW road bike.
Quite an accomplishment. Does she have pics, videos, social media, or a website?

Old 02-28-2020, 10:49 AM

1,361 posts, read 553,634 times
Quote:
Wondering if anyone is in the same boat as me?

primarily its mostly number 1; scared something can truly happen at any time...
Something can happen at any time on a bike or in a car... can't ride or drive scared so no, I'm not in the same boat.

I'm 45... learned to ride when I was 13 on a dirtbike... rode those for a few years then got a late 70's model 500cc streetbike in '92 and rode that till '96. Bought a new bike in '96 when I was 22 ('96 Sukuki LS 650 a 1 cyl monster lmao) and rode that for a year. It was stolen in '97 and I never bought another bike.

Fast forward to 2019 and I had the itch to ride again. So I went and took an intermediate rider course which I passed with flying colors (nobody forgets how to ride even after 20+ years) for my endorsement and purchased a new 2018 Suzuki GSX-S 750. Why the itch? I dunno. When I was younger I was on the east coast. Now I'm on the west coast... and there's a LOT of beautiful scenic rides to be had around here with all the mountains and what not.

Not a commuter... this bike is strictly to hop on for weekend rides to enjoy the many views available in the Pacific Northwest.

It's one of the top rated naked bikes. I added a rear fender eliminator... Yoshi Alpha T pipe... fancier OEM seat and rear seat eliminator... tank pads and a windshield to take the wind off my chest. Otherwise completely stock. Runs a downtuned '05 GSX-R motor... either way, it's all the bike I need. Not interested in 200 mph... or even 100 mph. If I were I'd have probably went with a 'Busa, but that's way too much bike. I think the fastest I've been was around 85 passing a car on I-5. As said, all the bike I need.

Fuel injection, ABS and TC are nice upgrades. Didn't have those back in 1996. Quite happy with the bike... put 2500 miles on her last summer and the weather is starting to get better. I've had her out twice this month for joyrides after being parked in the garage since September.

No real differences in riding now and riding 20 years ago... just more people on cell phones. I'm still the same defensive rider I've always been... never trusting anyone especially those preparing to turn left in front of me or when I'm coming up on intersections. I've got a helmet cam to record my rides as do most.

Looking forward to the 2020 riding season.

Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles