Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 10:25 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times

Advertisements

I would suspect that alot of Royal Enfield sales in the U.S. are impulse buys due to the fantastic retro look and modest price point. I imagine this leads to alot of buyer remorse when realization sets in that the bike requires alot of TLC and dealer support and parts availability seem very limited here. Best of luck to those who throw down. I can’t deny that I’ve been tempted. However, I’m satisfied with my Harley purchase right now. My bike has the old-school look, is rock-solid reliable, has no shortage of parts and several dealers within a 10 mile radius....plus ‘murica.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2019, 10:48 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
FIY there's a dealer in El Paso with 100s of them ready to go. They said the 650s are selling sight unseen.
MOTO ELPASO
Nice if you live in El Paso.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:29 PM

9,971 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
From RevZilla:

Suffering from years of neglect in the American market, the Royal Enfield name has become tarnished by questionable reliability, build quality, and a lack of dealer support. But the current executive team convinced me they are serious about change. They didn’t try to avoid these issues when I brought them up. Instead, they met them head on, presenting me with a picture of a brand in transition. The company is acknowledging its shortcomings and striving to find solutions that will help solidify Royal Enfield as more than a bit player in the American motorcycle market.

But how did Royal Enfield get so far gone?

Probably a reason they pretty much don't exist in the United States anymore. Not a lot of market for miserable junk that can't get out of its own way and blows up constantly due to 1960s technology.

Good luck with that, though. Reading rest of the above, they're trying to turn it around, past couple years...
On the contrary, RE dealers can't keep the Himilayan, Interceptor 650 and GT Continental 650 on the showroom floors.

RE quality has improved tremendously, in part because they recently built a new plant from the ground up, and in part because US-bound models are now assembled in-port in the USA instead of arriving fully assembled. But they're still pretty bare-bones bikes without a lot of feature content. Of course that's why you can pick one up brand new for under 6 grand -- just all depends on what you want and how much you're willing to pay for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Norton is probably a better current British bike manufacturer, indeed Keanu Reeves still has a lot of affection for his first Norton.
Problem is there are only 4 Norton dealers in the entire United States. And the local one I checked in the Chicago area didn't even have any Nortons in stock.

Last edited by Bitey; 07-31-2019 at 07:40 PM..

Old 10-22-2019, 07:54 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,551,491 times
Quote:
No I didn't think it be a wise purchase. Maybe one of those Suzuki TU250s?
I'm totally thinking about getting one of these. First time rider myself, and I'm not as fast and crazy as I was a few years ago when I was thrashing my Miata around mountain roads. I have a Lotus Seven replica now, and I honestly don't think I've gotten it above 75mph.

I just wish they were a bit cheaper off the showroom floor. It's hard to see paying $4500 for it when they have a SV650 sitting right next to it for $5900. Or a used Bonneville for $5-$6k.

Anyone here ever bought anything from CSC? That SG250 is a decent looking little bike.

Old 10-23-2019, 07:48 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
I'm totally thinking about getting one of these. First time rider myself, and I'm not as fast and crazy as I was a few years ago when I was thrashing my Miata around mountain roads. I have a Lotus Seven replica now, and I honestly don't think I've gotten it above 75mph.

I just wish they were a bit cheaper off the showroom floor. It's hard to see paying $4500 for it when they have a SV650 sitting right next to it for $5900. Or a used Bonneville for $5-$6k.

Anyone here ever bought anything from CSC? That SG250 is a decent looking little bike.
I’d consider a CSC if I wrenched on my own bikes. Unfortunately they have no dealer support and I imagine it would be challenging to get parts and get local mechanics to work on them. If your concern is sticker price on Enfields why not find a used one? I’ve seen ones from 2012-2015 in the 3k range.

Old 10-25-2019, 01:10 PM

29,442 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
I see a local one on Craigslist very reasonable. I don't believe there's any dealers in NM anymore. It's a 2007 350 cc for $2k.
I had never heard of them until Labor day weekend this year. I saw one being transported north on I75. It was a Himalayan. I thought it was awesome looking.

Did a little research and found them to be made in India. And found a youtube channel with a woman that is traveling the world on one. She seemed to have no issues with it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEI...OcJBwTg/videos

https://www.instagram.com/itchybootstravel/?hl=en

Old 10-25-2019, 01:47 PM

9,971 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
I’d consider a CSC if I wrenched on my own bikes. Unfortunately they have no dealer support and I imagine it would be challenging to get parts and get local mechanics to work on them. If your concern is sticker price on Enfields why not find a used one? I’ve seen ones from 2012-2015 in the 3k range.
I'd be cautious about buying a used RE. Until the last couple years they generally did live down to their reputation. If I were looking at a RE I'd be sure of two things: 1) It has the 650 2-cylinder (if looking at a Interceptor or Conti GT), and 2) it was assembled in USA and not India.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles