Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 03:56 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,489,707 times

Advertisements

My cat knocked it off the bucket that it was propped up on. It does not start, was abandoned by my soon to be Ex. He became a violent drunk. I had to get a Permanent restraining order on him.

It fell thisclose to my BMW in the 2 car garage.

I have pics. I was able to pull the bike away from the car and back out the car.

No I have a dirt bike on it's side on the floor of the garage. I was thinking bungee cords attached to my car??
IDK how else to lift it. It is a Suzuki dirt bike.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 04:02 PM

17,237 posts, read 57,247,710 times
Look at this U-Tube video, there are techniques that motor officers learn, you back up to the bike, grab a handlebar and whatever you can grab on the back of the bike - and lift with your legs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeLkrPkjimo

Failing that, find a couple of guys max, one reasonably strong guy can do it.

Does it have a kick-stand still or not?

Old 08-18-2017, 06:26 PM

No kick stand, I will check out the video thank you!

I really d0 not want to ask anyone, because it is private property, and it is a liability if anyone gets hurt, I get sued. I also considered calling Triple A...but I doubt they will come out for that.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:06 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,460,533 times
I didn't check the youtube link, but do be Very careful. It's easy to hurt yourself doing it the Wrong way. Were it my wife (and me just unable), I'd tell her to get her brother over here to pick it up.

If you *REALLY* must do it yourself, get a couple ratchet straps and heavy duty eye-hooks. Screw the eye-hooks into the garage framing and use the ratchet straps to slowly lift the bike. As a bonus, they will hold the thing up and against the wall so it CAN'T fall again.

Everbilt 3/8 in. x 4-1/2 in. Zinc-Plated Lag Thread Screw Eye-806946 - The Home Depot

Two 3/8" eyebolt lag bolts

And 2 of any ratchet strap (also from Home Depot) that are 500lb rating or more, which should be Any of them.

Work back and forth, a couple clicks at a time on each. Run the straps around anything that would be on "top" when it's standing up, you're not really going to do any damage.

FWIW, I've done this when installing cast iron bath tubs and it works very well.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:47 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,802,261 times
Call a bike shop that buys and sells used motorcycles, tell them you are seeking offers in case they want to take a look.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:41 PM

Thanks for all of the replies!

I just rearranged stuff in my garage for now, not leaving my BMW in the driveway on a Friday nite!

Old 08-27-2017, 09:33 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,033,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugsy View Post
Thanks for all of the replies!

I just rearranged stuff in my garage for now, not leaving my BMW in the driveway on a Friday nite!
Maybe you could find a guy on Craigslist to help...inside joke.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:19 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,734,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Look at this U-Tube video, there are techniques that motor officers learn, you back up to the bike, grab a handlebar and whatever you can grab on the back of the bike - and lift with your legs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeLkrPkjimo

Failing that, find a couple of guys max, one reasonably strong guy can do it.

Does it have a kick-stand still or not?
This. I've had to pick up my GSX-R ('bout 425lbs) when I knocked it over. Used this method and up it went with very little strain.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:28 PM

50,545 posts, read 47,353,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugsy View Post
My cat knocked it off the bucket that it was propped up on. It does not start, was abandoned by my soon to be Ex. He became a violent drunk. I had to get a Permanent restraining order on him.

It fell thisclose to my BMW in the 2 car garage.

I have pics. I was able to pull the bike away from the car and back out the car.

No I have a dirt bike on it's side on the floor of the garage. I was thinking bungee cords attached to my car??
IDK how else to lift it. It is a Suzuki dirt bike.

TIA!
Is there a beam strong enough overhead? A come along works great.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:33 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,537,181 times
130lb chick who picked up her 77 KZ650 more than once (but once under a lot of pressure!).

It's not about strength. It's about leverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles