Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2012, 12:20 PM

15,282 posts, read 35,736,938 times

Advertisements

We are in the early stages of looking at getting either a new or used pontoon boat for use on the local lakes (In particular, Lake LBJ or Lake Buchanan). We would mostly use it for tooling around the lake(s) with the kids and friends, but would like to be able to tube or ski behind the boat. Probably looking at a 22-24' boat.

Some of the major brands we have started looking at are Premier, South Bay, and Sun Tracker. Anyone know any pros and cons that we need to consider? Advantages or disadvantages? We are going to do the rounds with the local dealers, but also want to learn as much as we can before hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 11:17 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,150,391 times
My daughter and Son-in-law just bought a "Deck Boat". I've been out on it and it's really nice. Has more of a boat hull but plenty of room and kind of a cross between a boat and a larger party boat.

I know nothing about boats, but this one would hold about 12 people with plenty of seating. The front part of the boat is a deck. Their boat is a 21 ft. When we were looking, we found these boats with more deck, some with less deck. Some of the boats were 24-26 long and a couple we looked at were pretty small. He added the seats up there for fishing, so that wasn't there to begin with. The boat is plenty fast for pulling skiiers because of the normal hull. It handles well. Here is what his looks like.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 07-17-2012 at 11:46 AM..

Old 07-17-2012, 11:22 AM

833 posts, read 1,717,838 times
Are there pontoons that can generate enough speed for water skiing ?

(not saying there isn't, just that I never saw one that could )

Old 07-17-2012, 12:01 PM

Many years ago, when I was looking for a boat to use for lake scuba diving, the pontoons were all relatively low-powered and not really suited to skiing, although a few could do it (slalom would be very difficult). Deck boats were relatively new at that time, probably to fill that gap between pure ski boat and pure party boat used for hanging out.

Now, it seems the pontoons have evolved a lot. There are many models out there with 200hp and up engines and designed to have more pontoon out in front of the boat to keep you from plowing the front end under, and the tri-hulls seem to be more common, too.

As I understand it, the deck boats are better ski boats due to their better mobility, but the pontoons have better room and can have nice features like the swim platforms. Also, it appears from my casual research that the pontoons can drive like a car at slow speeds, making them very easy to handle for the novice boater.

Never having owned one, this is all just based on research on the web, I need to start visiting the boat boat shops, get some dealer information, then try to sort through and filter out the BS .

Old 07-22-2012, 03:50 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,452,777 times
I was looking at Pontoons a few years ago and noticed the used boats were every bit as reliable as new boats at a substantially lower price. Never did buy one as our homework on the subject came up with the fact that for the few times we'd use it throughout the summer renting one for a day proved to be a cheaper option and a whole lot less hassle, particularly in the towing and storing of it or the marina fees if left in the water and the fees for the marina taking it out of the water every fall Etc,Etc,Etc.. Had i lived on a lake it would have been an absolute no brainer as to what would have been parked out back..

Old 07-23-2012, 07:38 AM

Okay, it looks like we have narrowed it down to three brands - Sun Tracker, Bennington, and Harris. These all have boats in our range (although we might buy used, as well), are carried by local dealers, and seem to generally be well regarded. Anyone have any comments on any of these? Especially comparatively speaking? (I know, it is a stretch, but gotta ask ).

Old 07-23-2012, 05:02 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,150,391 times
I'm not sure how much of a boat enthusist you are so these question and comments might be out of line.

Did you check, are these boats capable of towing a skier? The reason I ask is because of transom rating. In regards to the picture of the boat I posted, I called my Son-in-law and asked him some pointed question on why he went that route. The transom on the pontoon boats that he looked at were not rated heavy enough for a engine that would tow a skier. His boat, pictures, is only rated for a 150 horse motor. Some of the pontoons that he looked at were rated for 150 hp, but would only move the boat at a speed that wouldn't pull a skier out of the water. So he chose to go with the deck boat. Same engine but would provide power enough to get the speed to pull 2-3 skiers.

My neighbor owns a very large (26 or 28ft) Sun Tracker Pontoon. He works the oil fields in North Dakota so he's gone for 4 weeks at a time and home for 2. Right now he is gone, but as soon as I see him over there, I'll find out what I can. I do know that he really loves his boat, but he bought it for a party barge and usually has a dozen kids on it when he goes out. He's even built a diving board on it so the kids can play. He does not pull skiers. He does tow the kids on different types of floatation devices.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:17 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,329 posts, read 8,674,726 times
if i'm not mistaken Sun Tracker is owned by Bass Pro Shops, they have been around along time.....Check the other brands and see how long they've been around. Boat companies come and go ....

Old 07-26-2012, 08:11 AM

Well, short update:
Yes, the new pontoons can pull a skiers/tubers. Several of the 150 hp configurations will get up close to 40 mph if you get their 'sport' or 'performance' packages (which include a third pontoon and lifting strakes). I went out on one last weekend and the things have come a long way. The one we were on had a 225 Yamaha and was flying with 4 adults and two kids on board. Boat was qualified up to a 250.

Locally, the three major dealers in pontoons carry Bennington (pricey, but nice), Harris, and Sun Tracker (owned by Tracker Marine, which does own Bass Pro Shops). Sun Trackers appear to be the least expensive and don't get much love, but it appears that they are actually pretty solid boats, especially when you look at value. South Bay is sold nearby, so might look at them, as well.

The real 'problem' seems to be that the resurgent economy locally has resulted in a relatively strong market - the dealers aren't bothering to deal much, and upcoming shipments of new boats are all 50-75% sold before they arrive .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles