Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 07:43 AM

228 posts, read 721,386 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what type of advice people have been getting from dealers around the country. Has it been good, bad or just plain stupid?

My story is this. Last week I went to a dealer to see all the bikes, but mostly to see if I liked one bike I saw online(Ninja 650R and 250R). I'm a beginner, 6'5", 200lbs. I never been on a bike before, and I do plan on taking the MSF class to both learn to ride, and get my licence. I didn't ask for the dealers help, but you know how they don't take "No, just looking for a answer.

I ask him what are some bikes that most beginners could ride? He ends up showing me all these 600cc sportbikes, including a Ducati, GSXR and CBR. The whole time I'm telling him, I'm new at riding and I don't like sportbikes, and I don't need to go fast. His excuse for me the whole time was "You can handle it, it only goes as fast as you want it to go". Then we look at criusers, and the same thing he takes me to the bikes that are the heaviest and have the most CC's and tell me It's ok, because I'm "big" I can ride a 1200cc bike as a new rider.

I will tell you, I'm not going to waste me time going to that dealer again. I don't believe any of the crap these dealers tell me, cause it's all the same junk from all the ones I've been to. Just because I'm tall, or heavy doesn't mean I want or need a supersport/heavy cruiser to take me around town.

What do you guys think, am I wrong or are they right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 08:41 AM

34,271 posts, read 83,600,094 times
You're looking for objective information from a dealer salesman?
Even if he knew the correct information to give you (see below)...
to give it goes against his personal interests (keeping his job and feeding his family)

Objective Info:
The first bike should be a VERY used, low priced, almost worn out piece of crap (with good brakes and tires) that you don't have to worry about beating up even more as you learn.

After about 5000 miles on that and a few test rides of different frame types, engine sizes and makes (at rally's and other events)...then YOU can make YOUR informed choice of what to buy based on YOUR own experiences and preference.

hth
---

some examples of what to look for:
I'd look at this one: http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/mcy/2537700757.html (broken link)
another possibility: http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/mcy/2542046908.html (broken link)
if this one was running...: http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/mcy/2487705841.html (broken link)

Old 08-14-2011, 08:49 AM

1,534 posts, read 4,274,212 times
I'd certainly avoid that salesman at least, his "advice" and approach was incredibly inept. At 6'5" (definitely tall) and 200 lbs. (pretty slim for your height) your going to have to do a lot of seat testing to see which bike fits your ergonomics. You also want to be in the position of buying a ride as opposed to being sold one.

I'd suggest you look at seat heights in the on-line spec listings for starters and then go sit on selected bikes. 6'5" is definitely on the upper end of height and will affect your choices. Most MSF courses use Honda or Suzuki 250 cc bikes with seat heights around the 27 -28" range, you'll probably find those a tad low.

My two rides have seat heights of 30.9" & 31.5" and I'm 5' 8.5" (shrunk from 5'10' at 19, I'm 61) with a 30" inseam. I'd prefer lower seat heights but haven't spent the bucks yet to change them. The higher set height ride is actually a better fit for me because the saddle width is less in the front than the lower one and my feet hit the ground more solidly. I don't think you'll have that consideration.

Your going to be in the upper end of ergonomics whichever way you go. Seat height and comfort "fit" is really an important component for your long term satisfaction. Its wise to take your time and dial it in as best you can upfront.

As a 1st time buyer, give some thought of where you want to end up in a year or two. Lots of folks start out with a smaller ride to get their basic skill set up to speed and then move up to bigger rides. The smaller bikes are easier to learn on (IMO) but are easy to quickly out grow. I'm a safety fanatic and went with the multiple ride drill as a newbie, some folks prefer to skip the "learner" ride, its your choice.

I'd seriously suggest you buy a good used unit as opposed to new bike for your 1st shot, it will/can save you some serious bucks. NADA & Kelly Blue Book have ballpark (not absolute values) prices for used bikes, its a reasonable starting point. Also, don't shy away from a few scratches on buying your 1st used bike, it works in your favor price-wise. Any seriously damaged/repaired ride is one I wouldn't buy regardless of price discount.

Safety gear is a whole different topic, I'll just point out that with it the odds are in your favor, without it - you body is hanging out there, your choice.

Good luck and ride safe.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:29 AM

1,009 posts, read 4,052,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr00th View Post
I never been on a bike before, and I do plan on taking the MSF class to both learn to ride, and get my licence . . . Just because I'm tall, or heavy doesn't mean I want or need a supersport/heavy cruiser to take me around town.
A 150cc scooter may be more suitable, at least in the context of carrying groceries and other items.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:58 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,067,692 times
Welcome to the forum. You'll probably get better advice here than you will at the vast majority of dealerships. Consider this, the salesman's biggest concerns are his sales numbers and the size of his paycheck, it isn't what the customer wants/needs.

Taking that into consideration, it's in the dealership's and salesmen's best interest to sell you the most expensive bike they can...Which means, the more CC,s the higher the the sale price.

I agree with the others on here, a new bike is best left for an experienced rider. Even riders who have serious dough to spend on a bike are better off riding around on a used bike until they get their training wheels off. You'll be significantly happier dropping your $300 craigslist find than you will be dropping your financed $7500 machine. And you WILL drop it, whether in the driveway, or on the road.

If i were in your position, i'd search out some used, low maintenance bikes. I personally own an 85 Honda Nighthawk 650 which is a great first bike, especially for somewhat taller riders. The seating position is upright, with standard handlebars and footpeg positions (not as far forward as a modern cruiser, not as far back and up as a sportbike). The engine is essentially no maintenance, just change the oil and ride, it has shaft drive so there's no chain to lubricate. The bike returns an honest 45-50 mpg depending on riding style, and has a very low cost of ownership. I purchased this from a friend for $300, did a little work and am selling it for $700 unpainted. They can command between $700-1500 in good used condition, and even more in great condition to a collector.

So, my advice. Don't buy your dream bike as your first bike, pick up something cheap, and reliable, and ride it till your incredibly bored with it...or it no longer fits your needs. Then move on to something else that does fit your needs. If you get through a season or two with this bike without destroying it, you'll very likely sell it for as much as you paid for it, and depending on how good the deal was, you might even get some $$ back for it. Good luck in finding the right bike, and if you've got any other questions about what bikes would be good for you, or not good for you, just ask...we're more than willing to help.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:48 AM

228 posts, read 721,386 times
Thanks for the advice guys. I guess some dealers are just into pushing any bike in your face.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:58 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,720,663 times
The dealer is a good place to try in some bikes to see what feels right. Took my wife by one the other day so she could sit on a few. Her next day off I will take her by a used dealer I know that she can try on some older models.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:40 AM

4,804 posts, read 10,686,661 times
MrRational's suggestion is absolutely right on the mark, imo.

And, smaller cc is usually better for the neophyte, though the OP's height may preclude some of the smaller scoots...maybe a used 'cruiser' of some kind,
with more leg room and handlebar reach, as opposed to the curl up and cling effect on many smaller sleds? Or, an older, larger framed, 'standard'?
GL, mD

Old 08-15-2011, 07:20 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,720,663 times
The dealer gave my wife some good advice, she is shorter. He advised that the saddle height can be lower by having a upholstery shop shave the foam down a few inches and restretch the vinyl. The dealership was not pushy but had limited stock to try on. I advise all to just saddle up on a lot of bikes till you find one that fits.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:59 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,031,901 times
You should buy a bike that your comfortable with, not the one the dealer wants you to buy. You being a first time rider I would suggest you get a used bike and learn to ride, or it could be a very expensive lesson.

As an example, A couple years ago a guy went into the local Harley dealership to buy a bike, he had never rode a bike before, they sold him a Road Glide. He got about 2 miles from the dealership and hit a truck, that was his last ride, he was DOA. Now do you blame the dealership for selling him such a bike knowing he has never rode before, or do you blame the rider for buying it in the first place. In my opinion both share the blame.

Buy a bike you feel comfortable riding, one that you can handle and one that doesn't scare you when you crack the throttle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles