Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 10:35 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,196,822 times

Advertisements

Gunluvver2: I imagine that was a hairy trip, all right. I don't know much about big trucks, but keeping all that weight under control and headed in the right direction must have been difficult. The smallest and the biggest vehicles each have their own set of problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 03:23 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,974,579 times
Must be a junker bike since salt will eat it. He must have ice racing tires which are covered in screws too. I hit snow in late Fall rides in patches here and there, and then that's it for me till first rains of spring wash the salt away.

But tires made up for ice racing will work pretty well.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:53 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,984,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
He must have ice racing tires which are covered in screws too.
Methinks this dude has screws in his brain!

Someone PMed me saying he's always starting stupid arguments and is just a PITA.

He's probably never ridden in the snow.... and who in their right mind would attempt riding with those ice racing tires on pavement?

He also said that leaving a sportbike in Pittsburgh unattended will get it knocked over and keyed (supposedly by the Harley-riding gang). I've been riding for over 40 years and have never heard of anyone having their non-Harley messed with (unless you've personally ticked someone off). I have a Ninja and have left it unattended many times without a single problem. Same holds true for my other Euro bikes. He's just insinuating that Harley riders are all rednecks, which is ridiculous. As a matter of fact, I've had loads of Harley guys stop and chat with me about my Triumphs. Lots of them started out riding old Trumps.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:40 PM

I started out riding Triumphs too. I have been to ice races at frozen lakes to watch. Your right screwed tires are not good for the street. I wasn't so clear, and am not always so very clear I am old and have CRS.

I have come on snow in high passes here in NH and also NC, and I get pretty dainty with any controlls and slow right down fast. Worse that snow is black ice. I almost can't ride over black ice in street tires. You can't lean a bit on black ice.

So I agree this rider is blowin smoke up his pipe or isn't a rider in the first place.

The only time the un-written code was broken to not touch another guys bike that occured to me was working in a fire arms shop.

I had my bike parked tight to the window next to the door. The door had windows too, so I could see a couple customers in decent slacks and sport coats with ties straddle my bike, just before they entered the shop. I didn't bother them about the infraction, because they were carefull.

Another non-even was at bike week Laconia, where I put something in my locking hard bags and forgot the keys then and there. I went off wandering for several hours and when i came back the bike was there with the keys hanging out of the hard bag. I was stupid!

Old 09-10-2010, 11:21 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,196,822 times
We all do things like that on occasion. You were lucky! I think there is a code of honour among riders, but there are still a few bad apples.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I think there is a code of honour among riders, but there are still a few bad apples.
Yes, there used to be a code of honor. That seems to be ingrained into the oldskool bikers.

I always will stop and offer assistance to a biker no matter what he's riding if I see one on the side of the road. I even stopped and helped a guy on a Honda scooter the other day (his positive battery wire had come undone).

But unfortunately, the younger sportbike types (squids) don't follow that tradition. I have quit going to the Superbike races after years of doing so, just because the crowd has gotten that way. It used to be you could leave your leather or helmet sitting on your bike without ever worrying it would be touched. Not so today! The campground at the track has gotten completely out of control. I like to party just as much as the next guy...but there's a limit.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:37 PM

I am a old guy see? x foreign car tech, so most of the time I stop to assist, car trucks and bikes if i think there is a prayers chance to help. The older the vehical the better.

Sometimes in my tradional black leather people get a tad nervous. Maybe it is the long hairs and a fuzzy face i don't know, but once there is a fix they sure seem happy. I never ask for a cent.

Last time was 4th of July, a elderly mother/daughter team were broke down. I fixed their car to go and followed since I wasn't totally sure I had a temp fix on a strange wiring problem. (land rover Govt drug bust fodder, and Govt drug bust fodder gets real strange)

They insisted i take 20 bucks, I tried to fight, but lost that one.

The Laconia thing works because of the code, an because leaving keys like that looks like a set up. Who would take a bike of 30,000 bikes with that many people looking. The owner could just be looking for a fight..

My other bike has soft bags, but a sticker on the rear fender says "A Gun Society is a Polite Society", so far no one has touched that bike. Heeding that sticker is a real good idea too. I am not the gambling type, never bought a lotto ticket once in my life.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:44 AM

83 posts, read 228,489 times
He must be copying this dude...Sjaak Lucassen...
Craziest man in the world on two wheels!
This guy travels around the world on R1...

Old 09-12-2010, 09:54 AM

Holy s#%t !!!

Old 09-12-2010, 12:54 PM

Don't any body make any sudden moves!

That is clean snow and snow has grip, it is plowed snow and or ice that would upset me.

The temps are a non-issue. These guys are suited up, probably in heated mitts boots and vests. In New Hampshire snow machines have that ability.

I can't see well enough to tell if the tires are screwed or if something else has been done to enhance traction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles