Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 10:24 PM

58 posts, read 202,733 times

Advertisements

First time homebuyers ready to start the Loan process. But should we use a loan office (broker) or should we just go directly to a bank to apply for a loan?The loan officer is charging me $350 for the pre-approval application and 1 point after the whole process goes thru. Can a bank offer me the same interest rates and same programs?? Please advice me before I continue to make a big mistake that can cause me a bitter experience! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 10:54 PM

694 posts, read 1,235,535 times
Well, you could shop around for the best deal.

By law, you are supposed to receive a good faith estimate from each lender to guide you in determining the better offer.

Also, it depends on your particular circumstances, credit score, employment, cash reserves, etc.

A bank offers a limited number of loan programs.

A mortgage broker has wholesale agreements with many banks and may offers an array of loan programs.

The 1% loan origination is customary on most mortgage loans unless you accept a higher interest rate which actually means that you pay more money in interest over the length of the loan.

The $350 pre-approval fee might be a negotiation item with the broker.
However, chances are that the bank will add some additional charges to the 1% origination as well.

Good luck!

Last edited by learningCA; 02-03-2010 at 12:06 AM..

Old 02-03-2010, 05:40 AM

835 posts, read 3,982,769 times
Whats more important than the business model is the Loan Officer as they will make or break your experience. Get a referral from a trusted source( friend, relative, coworker, financial advisor) to someone they have worked with in the past and ahd a good experience with.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:21 AM

694 posts, read 1,235,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2jules View Post
Whats more important than the business model is the Loan Officer as they will make or break your experience. Get a referral from a trusted source( friend, relative, coworker, financial advisor) to someone they have worked with in the past and ahd a good experience with.
However, the loan officer cannot be better than the company he/she works for and the processor who services his loans, sir.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:24 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,918,194 times
Check your local credit union. My credit union offers a no CU-related costs (ie. you still pay appraisal, state doc stamp tax and such but don't pay the usual borrower 'junk fees') primary residence loan at a better rate than many high fee lenders.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:25 AM

835 posts, read 3,982,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by learningCA View Post
However, the loan officer cannot be better than the company he/she works for and the processor who services his loans, sir.

That depends on the quality of the LO. I do not pass the file to my processor and forget it but view the quality of their work as an extension of me and my reputation because it is. I am responsible for their actions or lack there of and because of this review all files with my processor every 48 hours to make sure things are moving along smoothly and as expected.

In addition working for a broker rather than a bank I have options as to what lender to place a loan file with. In my initial conversation with a prospective client I learn what their prioritites are: Speed of closing on a purchase to meet a specific date, lowest possible rate on a refinance even if it means taking an extra week to close, etc. I would rather earn a few hundred less dollars on a loan and have a client with a great experience and pass on a referral or 2 than send a file to a lender that can not meet the clients goals.

These are the reasons a LO can make or break a clients experience with the loan process.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:25 AM

1,673 posts, read 7,026,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Check your local credit union. My credit union offers a no CU-related costs (ie. you still pay appraisal, state doc stamp tax and such but don't pay the usual borrower 'junk fees') primary residence loan at a better rate than many high fee lenders.

Any bank can offer a loan with no bank fees. They simply increase the interest rate. At the end of the day, the consumer pays much more in interest than if they just paid the fees up front.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:50 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,918,194 times
My credit union's terms are consistently within 0.1% higher to 0.2% lower than current national average APR for a no points/no origination mortgage loan. Their no fees period HELOC rate is also currently 3.25%, which is significantly lower than current average rate for the industry.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:20 AM

1,673 posts, read 7,026,641 times
I am sure it is, but you are looking at retail rates. When you work with a broker you get access to wholesale rates which will be consistantly lower than the local credit union or bank.

If you can find out, what is their rate today with no points for a 30 year fixed?

Old 02-03-2010, 12:10 PM

5,345 posts, read 14,171,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I agree about the HELOC. Check the CU on those.

For a 1st mortgage any lender can do no costs including all the way to you don't pay anything...no appraisal, no title, no county fees, etc. Of coarse your rate will be a bit higher with the low or no cost options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages