Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2008, 06:59 AM

26 posts, read 81,636 times

Advertisements

We were preapproved for a mortgage and then we locked our rate on Tuesday (when we locked, they checked our credit again--score used 744). We've now provided all the income and asset verification that they need. We close May 29. Will our mortgage company check our credit again between now and closing?

We have some furniture that we want to buy (~$4,000 on a credit card we already have) (no interest until 2012!!), but we want to make sure that it won't mess up anything with our mortgage (because it will increase our debt to income ratio and make that card much closer to its limit). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 07:08 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,351,430 times
I would probably not put the furniture on a credit card, but instead finance through the furniture company. However, to answer your question, no they shouldn't check your credit score again.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:15 AM

26 posts, read 81,636 times
Well, it's financed through the credit card that you get when you finance through the company...we just already have one because we've purchased from them before. Thank you for the reply!

Old 04-25-2008, 07:40 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,595,638 times
DO NOT BUY ANY FURNITURE OR RUN UP YOUR CREDIT CARDS OR BUY A NEW CAR UNTIL YOU CLOSE!!!!!!!

I have had many lenders check credit the day of closing....
You will have brand new furniture but nowhere to put it in.

They check for a few things..

1. Who's been pulling your credit.
2. If they're any new debts on your credit file
3. What is your current score.

If you have a lot of recent inquiries on your credit file, then they may ask for a letter of explanation or may just deny you.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:01 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,335,621 times
I have always heard never, never apply for anything or spend on cc after you apply for a mortgage. Go after closing and make your purchases.

I did that - bought a new couch after closing and it was delivered quickly.

Plus, you are closing near Memorial Day - there will be lots of sales on that weekend, probably including the same financing deal.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:48 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,111,795 times
I agree with the posters who advise not to mess with your credit just yet.

There's a lot of crazy things going on these days with lenders; they're finally locking the barn door after the horse has galloped off into the sunset.

Do you really want to risk your current loan rate over the next 15-30 years just to buy furniture now instead of 8 weeks from now?

Congrats on the new house

Old 04-25-2008, 06:15 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,351,430 times
Yeah, I'll chime in and add that you should wait until after you close. That probably wasn't clear in my original post.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:30 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,914,340 times
When my parents bought their house back in the 60s the previous buyers got the mortgage approved, then bought a house full of furniture... then at the least minute was denied the mortgage.
my parents were then able to make an offer and buy their home.

Wait to get your keys, then go shopping.

Congratulations on your new home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages