Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 10:15 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,996,450 times

Advertisements

My fiancee and I are considering an FHA 203K. We have a budget of about $230K and have found a home in a nice subdivision where all of the homes were built in the immediate post war era ('46-'48) and a majority have either been extensively renovated or knocked down entirely with new ones built in their place. As a result property values are pretty decent, and we feel that we've found the "worst home in the nicest neighborhood." Its a very small home which is basically stuck in the 1940s. We feel that we could pick it up for about $150-160K given the shape its in, which would leave us approximately $60K for renovations with the required contingency reserves as well as financing six months of mortgage payments.

We're looking for feedback on the process from folks who have actually gone through the process:

-How did you find it overall? Was it a hassle? Mountains of paperwork?

-How was your interest rate? We've heard that 203K rates are generally higher than most 30 year fixed mortgages and that most people refinance when renovation is complete

-Did you put down less than 20%? If so, how much was the PMI?

-Would you do it again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 10:28 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,602,428 times
FHA 203K only lends up to 30-35k for renovation
Also, the total loan amount must not exceed the county loan limit

Old 02-04-2008, 10:34 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,996,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
FHA 203K only lends up to 30-35k for renovation
Hmmm...I was told by a broker that as long as you came in under the county loan limit you were ok? Is it possible that they recently removed the 35K cap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
Also, the total loan amount must not exceed the county loan limit
LOL...this is New Jersey so let's just say that the county limit for where I intend to buy is MUCH more than I could ever afford to borrow

Old 02-04-2008, 10:36 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,602,428 times
I would call HUD directly...but I remember it always being 35k.

Maybe there maybe some 'loophole'......

Old 02-05-2008, 04:44 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,973,498 times
I remember there were loopholes, but the only one that came to mind was natural disaster areas. I did a few of these back when there were a lot of hurricanes in FL in 2003 and 2004.

The rates were typically just .25% higher (back then) and the paperwork was not so bad. It was just important to have a good budget of what the costs will be. The PMI was the same as a typical FHA loan which is a lot less than Fannie Mae Programs (except for My Community which is almost the same).

Some lenders have decided not to offer the program anymore, so the options have gotten more limited. That usually means the standards and the pricing will get tougher.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:41 PM

128 posts, read 355,768 times
Default 35K Limit

The 35K limit is only for the Streamlined 203K ... if you do a traditional 203K, then the limit is much higher.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 19,201 times
This is true. A streamline 203k will only allow someone to do up to $35,000 in renovations. This amount does include additional fee's FHA charges. If you wanted to do more than $35,000 in renovations you would be required to have a HUD Consultant involved. When involving a HUD Consultant you may be required to do more improvements than you considered. The HUD Consultant would inspect the property and would determine additional work that would be required to be included in with your renovation bids. If going with a traditional 203k loan you can go up to the county max for the loan amount. However if you are doing energy eff. you can go over the county max by $8,000.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:16 PM

2 posts, read 16,866 times
If dealing with Bank of America. This has been my experience so far. I closed my 203K loan back in May and completed repairs in July. I have been unable to get a response from BofA since they took over my loan from Taylor Bean. The voicemail and emails go unanswered. I am starting to think that I will never get paid.
The loan process was pretty painless I did not put 20% down. The interest rate was a little higher.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:57 PM

5,937 posts, read 4,710,058 times
I know this is a "back from the dead" thread...

My experience with a streamlined 203k was pretty horrendous. Considering that the restrictions on the streamlined are supposed to be looser than the non-streamlined... I was sold something vastly different than what a streamlined 203k should have been.

Key points:
- I wasn't allowed to perform any of the work myself. FHA has a "self-help plan" that allows the homeowner to perform some work themselves using the rehab money. The underwriters axed that provision and I was forced to use a contractor for everything. Technically, if I wanted to paint a room, a contractor had to do it. If I wanted to buy a microwave... contractor had to do it.

- Originally I was to provide only a general concept of what I was doing with the rehab money. Appliances could be kept general (just list fridge, $2000, oven $2000, cabinets $10k, etc). By the time the underwriters were through with me, I had to have exact plans and exact prices, down to the penny.

- I didn't receive my first disbursement (which I was told I would receive shortly after closing) until 60 days after closing.

- I didn't receive my final disbursement until 120 days after closing (and more than 45 days after work was completed).

Now, this is mostly a lender problem... but regardless, lenders have the capability of removing all the advantage of a 203k loan... so watch out.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:34 PM

8 posts, read 42,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
I know this is a "back from the dead" thread...

My experience with a streamlined 203k was pretty horrendous. Considering that the restrictions on the streamlined are supposed to be looser than the non-streamlined... I was sold something vastly different than what a streamlined 203k should have been.

Key points:
- I wasn't allowed to perform any of the work myself. FHA has a "self-help plan" that allows the homeowner to perform some work themselves using the rehab money. The underwriters axed that provision and I was forced to use a contractor for everything. Technically, if I wanted to paint a room, a contractor had to do it. If I wanted to buy a microwave... contractor had to do it.

- Originally I was to provide only a general concept of what I was doing with the rehab money. Appliances could be kept general (just list fridge, $2000, oven $2000, cabinets $10k, etc). By the time the underwriters were through with me, I had to have exact plans and exact prices, down to the penny.

- I didn't receive my first disbursement (which I was told I would receive shortly after closing) until 60 days after closing.

- I didn't receive my final disbursement until 120 days after closing (and more than 45 days after work was completed).

Now, this is mostly a lender problem... but regardless, lenders have the capability of removing all the advantage of a 203k loan... so watch out.

I'm closing on a 203k Streamline next week. I've been trying to close since July. I recently found out that I won't be getting my first draw at closing. Sigh....misinformed again by the broker. Wanting to get a jump on the draw process I called to inquire and found out that I need a permit first - well - in my county for the work that is being done I don't need 1. I had called the county when I was doing my feasability to makesure I considered county permit fees - they said to check with the contractor - they will know. The contractor said not needed this is replacement work with the demolition already completed. The lender said call the county I said my contractor said they aren't needed then they said you can't trust the contractors. For the love of Pete!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages