Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2012, 10:33 AM

7 posts, read 28,821 times

Advertisements

So recently I refinanced with Wells Fargo.

I did the no cost 3 step program. The only fees this should have had was the notary fees.

Before the papers were signed I owed 126,054 on my loan.

When I signed the papers the loan amount was for $127,486.

I was under the impression I would receive a check for what didnt go into escrow.

Instead my new statement shows that a $1410.01 Escrow Refund went into my new loan.

Now I understand that an escrow goes toward paying taxes and insurance.

I also understand that each months payment goes towards paying escrow.

What I was told is that the escrow refund went into escrow balance.

What I don’t understand is if I am already paying each month on the escrow why do I need to have this money go into my escrow, instead of getting a refund check which I could apply to my principle?

I have spoken to about 6-7 different people about this and just can not grasp this. My brother use to be a loan officer and tried to explain it to me but I still dont get it. I was paying on escrow before hand and will continue to do so in the new loan, why in the world do I need that $1410 to pay on the escrow.

I just want to understand this and make sure I will not be losing money.

I am greatful for anyone that can explain this to me so that I understand.

Thanks,

Robert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 06:43 AM

1,673 posts, read 7,022,009 times
Possibly 2 things. The $126,054 you claim you owed...was that the principle balance or the actual payoff. Payoff is always higher than principle balance, and that is why your mortgage statement says to call for payoff.

Or it could be you did a FHA loan and they rolled the 1% upfront mortgage insurance into the loan.

As far as your escrow, wells simply transferred your old escrow account to the new loan.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorBurek View Post
Possibly 2 things. The $126,054 you claim you owed...was that the principle balance or the actual payoff. Payoff is always higher than principle balance, and that is why your mortgage statement says to call for payoff.

Or it could be you did a FHA loan and they rolled the 1% upfront mortgage insurance into the loan.

As far as your escrow, wells simply transferred your old escrow account to the new loan.
The 126,054 was the priniciple balance and I guess not the actual payoff. I went back to my online account and looked. So good call there.

I dont believe I did a FHA loan.

What I dont understand is why no one explained that to me to begin with. Because my original question was why is my new loan higher than my preexisting loan.

Thanks so much for explaining this to me.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:37 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,527,530 times
Did you skip a month's installment payment between loans?

The difference is probably equivalent to one month's interest payment (the month you're skipping).

Old 02-16-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Did you skip a month's installment payment between loans?

The difference is probably equivalent to one month's interest payment (the month you're skipping).
One months interest was around $500+ on my previous loan.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:30 PM

819 posts, read 3,210,342 times
Did you not look at the HUD? Once you reviewed it, you should have asked questions then. Why did you think you would get the difference? Also, the loan product could have been a no cash out loan. This means taht you are not allowed to have any cash back at all. I would suggest reading over your loan documents again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages