Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2021, 07:53 AM

3,450 posts, read 2,775,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Another thing that needs to be said is that anglophones seem to think their sow's ear is a silk purse, or to be clearer, that the English language somehow has magical properties.

English is certainly important in terms of international business and I am glad I speak it but the idea that it must be used at every level of society and in all instances in order for a place to be prosperous, conveniently ignores the situation in Mississippi or Newfoundland vs. Quebec, Sierra Leone vs. Gabon, etc.
As a native Mississippian, I can honestly say I understand some people in Quebec better than my fellow Magnolia Staters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2021, 07:58 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post

This is the same government who passed Bill 21 and used arguments of "because the Catholic Church in the 1950s" lol. It's insane how ass backwards this government and right-wing nationalists in general are. They'd do anything to fit their perverted view of the "Quebec Nation" which they claim is the most "open" and "tolerable" nation. Never knew curbing rights is considered tolerable and open! Plus, the UN has even said what Quebec is doing is a violation of rights, and you bet they will say it again.
I'd like to hear more about the UN.

Are you talking about Bill 101 or Bill 21?

I've read every single thing there is about Bill 101. Including what the UN had to say about it.

I don't think they've said anything about Bill 21.

Note that a whole bunch of European countries (a half-dozen? a dozen?) have laws that are as strict or stricter than Bill 21 on the books.

Is most of Western Europe ass-backwards now?

Pretty soon the only virtuous place in the entire world will be the poli sci department at Concordia and the newsroom of CBC HQ in Toronto. Oh and maybe Cambridge, Mass.

Old 10-26-2021, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
As a native Mississippian, I can honestly say I understand some people in Quebec better than my fellow Magnolia Staters.
Sorry for the slag at your state.

Old 10-26-2021, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
just to protect a language that is not in decline.

Who are you to judge? It's our language, not yours.

Why do other groups get to define what's best for them and what they need (even if it has an impact on others), but francophones don't?

It's not very "2021".

Old 10-26-2021, 08:22 AM

35,013 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Quote:
As I said before, why do you care as an American?
Why the stereotype that Americans have no interest or concern about one of our closest allies and our neighbor across a 3000 mile border.

Old 10-26-2021, 08:41 AM

3,450 posts, read 2,775,135 times
Quote:
Sorry for the slag at your state.
We are America’s…ehh…owyousay…slag eap .

Old 10-26-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Why the stereotype that Americans have no interest or concern about one of our closest allies and our neighbor across a 3000 mile border.
I get that but with all due respect a lot of this comes across more as preaching, meddling and telling us what to do.

Old 10-26-2021, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I get that but with all due respect a lot of this comes across more as preaching, meddling and telling us what to do.
Certainly not intended that way. My own close to direct stake is that the Jewish community is directly impacted, and I made this clear. With the U.S., Canada, Australia and of course Israel being the only place where Jews can live safely and thrive as a community, we are interested if any of them are endangered.

Personally, one set of my great-grandparents lived in Montreal for a time between fleeing from Ukraine (then Czarist Russia) and migrating to Yonkers, New York. For the safety I am particularly grateful since I would not be here today were it not for Montreal.

Old 10-26-2021, 08:13 PM

3,972 posts, read 5,764,113 times
So I read over the executive summary of Bill 96 and skimmed over a large portion of the bill's body itself. Honestly, I could not find anything extreme in the bill's language. I suppose Bill 96 can be considered a corollary to Bill 101 even though it says it further amends the language charter. So it affirms that French is Quebec's official language and requires businesses with 25+ employees to speak French every day. So what? As an American, I cannot see how different is that with running a business in the US where practically everyone has to know English in order to run a business even if English is not your first language. Bill 96 is more moderate than anything else. There's an article in the Montreal Gazette that even said that the author Jolin-Barrette was blasted by language extremists for not going far enough with the bill. I just don't see English completely disappearing from Montreal nor do I see longstanding Anglophone institutions such as the Montreal Gazette or McGill University switch entirely to French overnight. If there are ever government sponsored extreme language measures, they are happening elsewhere in the world but not in Canada.

Old 10-27-2021, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
....nor do I see longstanding Anglophone institutions such as the Montreal Gazette or McGill University switch entirely to French overnight. If there are ever government sponsored extreme language measures, they are happening elsewhere in the world but not in Canada.
What would prevent the language police from making the administration of either of those institutions quite cumbersome? Does the government in the U.S. force businesses to operate in English?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal