Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 05:29 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,893,722 times

Advertisements

I've been to Montreal several times, but it's been a few years since my last trip. I visited over the last few days, and while I live in one of the best urban areas in the United States, I can honestly say that Montreal has something that you can't find anywhere in the United States, without question. And while the French culture is a part of what makes that statement true, more so, it's the friendly, public focused, safe, and even harmonious atmosphere that exists throughout so many neighborhoods in Montreal. It makes me realize how culturally unsound the United States is, and how concerned I am at how my home country's culture has been warped into a constantly aggressive, unhappy and divisive state. You can see and feel the happiness and pride the people here take in their city. And it's not because they have sculpted a beautiful park or because they have high population density or some other BS stat. They are proud because of the end product. The beauty, the happiness, and of course the beautiful people. I just wanted to thank you and your country again for such a wonderful experience. I grew up less than an hour from the border, and I always had a strong love of Canada. I hope that someday maybe I will be able to stay longer than just a single trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 05:44 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,105,096 times
Hi,

I'm so glad that you had such a wonderful visit!

I don't live in Montreal anymore -- although I was born and bred there, and spent most of my years (so far! ) there -- but you hit the sweet spot and what I always say about "my" city: the pride. I was always proud of Montreal.

And you hit another big point too: That it's a true melting pot. Residents are from all over the world, sharing their culture, their ethnicity, their diversity with everyone. It's truly beautiful.

Thank you for sharing your experience here. Even though I don't live in Montreal anymore, your words make me... proud.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:00 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,429,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I've been to Montreal several times, but it's been a few years since my last trip. I visited over the last few days, and while I live in one of the best urban areas in the United States, I can honestly say that Montreal has something that you can't find anywhere in the United States, without question. And while the French culture is a part of what makes that statement true, more so, it's the friendly, public focused, safe, and even harmonious atmosphere that exists throughout so many neighborhoods in Montreal. It makes me realize how culturally unsound the United States is, and how concerned I am at how my home country's culture has been warped into a constantly aggressive, unhappy and divisive state. You can see and feel the happiness and pride the people here take in their city. And it's not because they have sculpted a beautiful park or because they have high population density or some other BS stat. They are proud because of the end product. The beauty, the happiness, and of course the beautiful people. I just wanted to thank you and your country again for such a wonderful experience. I grew up less than an hour from the border, and I always had a strong love of Canada. I hope that someday maybe I will be able to stay longer than just a single trip.
Glad you had a great time in our wonderful city ,heres a few pages of visual mementos = Summers in Marvelous Montreal | Explore the Beautiful City

Old 10-23-2017, 03:36 PM

1,195 posts, read 990,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Hi,

I'm so glad that you had such a wonderful visit!

I don't live in Montreal anymore -- although I was born and bred there, and spent most of my years (so far! ) there -- but you hit the sweet spot and what I always say about "my" city: the pride. I was always proud of Montreal.

And you hit another big point too: That it's a true melting pot. Residents are from all over the world, sharing their culture, their ethnicity, their diversity with everyone. It's truly beautiful.

Thank you for sharing your experience here. Even though I don't live in Montreal anymore, your words make me... proud.
Why did you move?

Old 10-23-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
Why did you move?
I moved to the States when I got married (ex-husband is American). Then moved back to Montreal when we got divorced. Recently moved to Ottawa because of -- in this order -- (1) family is in Ottawa; (2) income tax is much lower in Ontario (vs. Quebec). But I still absolutely LOVE Montreal.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:08 AM

Thanks for the responses. What's evident to me is that society in general is less tense, less divisive, less pessimistic than most everywhere I spend time in the US. And while I was only in a half dozen neighborhoods in Montreal, it was immediately evident that there was less tension and more social prosperity than anywhere I go in Philly (where I live). And it's not just Philly. I feel this terrible divide and lack of well-being at home with violent protests, terrible politics, socioeconomic extremes, racial issues, heightened crime, etc. The US public is 100% dug in, taking sides and fighting one another. Even the anti-hate signs are poised as friendly, but are aggressive toward those they see as "haters" of something they love. It's super-charged and getting worse.

I love my country and it will always be home to me, but the QOL and future outlook is dim comparatively. That's just my gut feel.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:15 AM

Some other things I observed:

1. New trains in the metro: Wow, they are BEAUTIFUL!!! I love the colors, the way the train cars are open to one another, the lights and monitors. Ah, I am so jealous. Truly spectacular.

2. Le Plateau, Mont Royal, Mile End areas continue to add some beautiful apartment buildings while long-standing institutions, beautiful little cafes continue to prosper. I was particularly happy to stop and grab a dozen bagels from Fairmount before I left. I still can't decide whether I like them better than St-Viateur.

3. The more business-y districts in downtown are still sleepier than many places in Center City Philly. Although I never thought downtown Montreal was the best part of the city. Don't get me wrong, I think downtown has some great sites, is clean, somewhat vibrant and RESO is wonderful. But CC Philly is really quite impressive, and I spend more time in Montreal's neighborhoods than downtown.

4. Jazz institutions in the city are still doing well. I love jazz and love that Montreal has a strong scene. I'm always worried that jazz (like classical) will erode, but it seems it's still entwined in the city strongly.

5. Montrealers, as always, are friendly and wonderful. I particularly love the Laurier station and walking down Laurier toward Denis. Such a beautiful place!

Old 10-24-2017, 07:35 AM

Montreal definitely has a lot of bang for the buck. You can live or visit a real city that feels like Nyc for half the price. It's very very walkable, decent transportation, and a melting pot of French, foreign and English culture. I feel safe here in all parts of the city, police don't seem to harass either, unless it's regarding parking ticket. The tax are higher than average but everything is convenient so a car isn't needed.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
2. Le Plateau, Mont Royal, Mile End areas continue to add some beautiful apartment buildings while long-standing institutions, beautiful little cafes continue to prosper. I was particularly happy to stop and grab a dozen bagels from Fairmount before I left. I still can't decide whether I like them better than St-Viateur.

4. Jazz institutions in the city are still doing well. I love jazz and love that Montreal has a strong scene. I'm always worried that jazz (like classical) will erode, but it seems it's still entwined in the city strongly.

5. Montrealers, as always, are friendly and wonderful. I particularly love the Laurier station and walking down Laurier toward Denis. Such a beautiful place!
2. You like St. Viateur better. Trust me.

4. Have you been to Montreal in the summer while the Jazz Fest is happening? I don't care for jazz, really, but Jazz Fest is such a fun experience. I've never paid to go to an indoor concert; the outdoor events are plenty. The streets are teeming with people having a great time. And it introduced me to Beth Hart. Watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNj_JpWJqEg

5. Get off my lawn!

Old 10-24-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. What's evident to me is that society in general is less tense, less divisive, less pessimistic than most everywhere I spend time in the US. And while I was only in a half dozen neighborhoods in Montreal, it was immediately evident that there was less tension and more social prosperity than anywhere I go in Philly (where I live). And it's not just Philly. I feel this terrible divide and lack of well-being at home with violent protests, terrible politics, socioeconomic extremes, racial issues, heightened crime, etc. The US public is 100% dug in, taking sides and fighting one another. Even the anti-hate signs are poised as friendly, but are aggressive toward those they see as "haters" of something they love. It's super-charged and getting worse.

I love my country and it will always be home to me, but the QOL and future outlook is dim comparatively. That's just my gut feel.
I'm from the delaware valley (philly area), I would argue that Philly is one of the worst cities in the US to live long-term. The division is bad, being a liberal city in a rural state, high cost of living, etc. I guess it depends on what you seen. The outskirts of philly can be nice but still one of the last places I would settle. I actually prefer Vancouver but I'm in Montreal now and don't mind being here for few days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal