Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 05:15 PM

2 posts, read 70,160 times

Advertisements

Hey , i'm a 24 year old musician embarking on the under 35's work in canada programe around september time from ireland..i've been doing all sorts of research but i suppose i just want to ask a few living people their opinion..I was nearly dead set on montreal .. for the music scene the culture the quaint atmosphere it apparently has , and im planning on going to french classes but im a slow learner and i really would like to find a job i like (aswell as play aound and get a few gigs)but i feel my options would be restricted as im not fluent ..so i was thinking toronto also as the music scene there is supposed to be fantastic but would i lose out on the beauty of montreal?also if anyone could give me some advice on which areas wouls be best to move to?in montreal and toronto ..near galleries and cafe bars and venues .. i wana be at the hub of it all!! jst excited and willing to learn .. any help would be amazing! cheers xxx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 06:24 PM

304 posts, read 1,425,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiekim View Post
Hey , i'm a 24 year old musician embarking on the under 35's work in canada programe around september time from ireland..i've been doing all sorts of research but i suppose i just want to ask a few living people their opinion..I was nearly dead set on montreal .. for the music scene the culture the quaint atmosphere it apparently has , and im planning on going to french classes but im a slow learner and i really would like to find a job i like (aswell as play aound and get a few gigs)but i feel my options would be restricted as im not fluent ..so i was thinking toronto also as the music scene there is supposed to be fantastic but would i lose out on the beauty of montreal?also if anyone could give me some advice on which areas wouls be best to move to?in montreal and toronto ..near galleries and cafe bars and venues .. i wana be at the hub of it all!! jst excited and willing to learn .. any help would be amazing! cheers xxx
Hey katiekim! I moved to Montréal in the summer of 06 and it is a fantastic city! Toronto is a nice city too (I lived there for 6 years) but Montréal is magic. As far as places to live, the Plateau is an amazing neighbourhood as is Mile End, Petite-Patrie, St Henri (slightly grungy but in a bohemian kind of way). I recommend these because there are many English speaking people who live there. Try to find something close to the Métro (subway) and you'll be laughing. I recommend finding some francophone flatmates who can help you to discover the real city and help you with french as well. There are great, inexpensive french courses available through the CSDM (school board). While there are some english only jobs available, most require that you have some ability in french. The music and arts scene here is incredible, the city is very walkable and bicycle friendly, and we have the most liberal laws in North America (liquor and other stuff!). The first place you should head to is Hurley's Pub. Half the staff and customers are Irish, and they can give you some good pointers (and maybe a job!). There are simply too many festivals and music venues etc to even begin to cover them all but let's just say: you won't be disappointed! I'll pop you a couple of links, somewhat random, to give you an idea.
Any questions feel free to ask.
Santé!

The Plateau was chosen as the best, 'hip' neighbourhood in North America by Project for Public Places
Five of the Best Neighborhoods in North America | Project for Public Spaces (PPS)

This is from a couple from Texas who visited, fell in love with the city, and now are planning on retiring here.
MONTREAL - Living in a North American Gem of a City - Page 1

This is from an Aussie who was quite taken by the place!
Party people - ArchiveNorthAmerica - Travel

This is sweet too
In Love, Montreal - intravelmag.com, Travel Magazine, International Travel, Adventure Travel

Last edited by Habfanman; 02-08-2008 at 06:53 PM..

Old 02-08-2008, 07:32 PM

323 posts, read 1,390,476 times
If money is no object than Toronto could be good if you don't want to study French. In Montreal and you can learn French by taking a course but being exposed to the language on a daily basis really helps too. If you want to be near galleries, pubs and the hub of things than the Plateau is about right. Certainly St. Henri district is pretty good too. You will not be near galleries but you would be close to downtown. There is a subway there and the buses are slow so you would need to keep a schedule on hand. There are a lot of musicians that practice in St. Henri. The rents are a lot cheaper then the Plateau area too. There are some cafes around the Atwater and Notre-dame are.

St. Henri is a mix bag of students, low income people, condo dwellers and artists too. It is close to a canal with a bike path which is great to be on in the summer.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:39 AM

2 posts, read 70,160 times
thanks a million ... fantastic help x fair play : )

Old 03-08-2008, 01:25 PM

7 posts, read 79,121 times
Hi KatieKim,
Just read your message....I am from cork in Ireland and in the boston area at the moment...I am going to montreal in a week or two to check it out and see what happens...can you tell me about the under 35's work programme...I have zero contacts in montreal.....would you reccommend any place to stay for the first week or so while I am there that would be resonably priced and in a good location......something like a hostel or something...Thanks
Micheal

Old 03-08-2008, 10:48 PM

19 posts, read 154,175 times
If you are a musician of that age the best place in mtl is called "le plateau" or "plateau mont-royal". I heard that something like 15-20% of people living in this area are artists. They have cafes etc. I can't tell you more because ts just not my type but for the exact location I suggest maybe the montreal city website it has of course an english version. But for living in this area its better to speak french, else you are better off in the west island.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:50 PM

19 posts, read 154,175 times
didn'T even see the reply from the first person, see plateau is the place for you i didn't know someone posted that.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:28 AM

1 posts, read 34,772 times
Hiya!!my Mate & I Are In The Same Boat, Headn Over To Montreal On U-35 Visa, So Ffar From What I Can Find Plateau Sounds Well Cool..might See Ya Around The Place!!!

Old 01-17-2010, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 30,142 times
I am planning to move to Montreal with my family. In the first months or so I will be using the transit system. I would also like to live close to malls; what area would you recommend me to live in if I have to daily commute close to station square-victoria

Old 01-27-2010, 08:19 PM

2 posts, read 47,245 times
I am looking for areas in the city of Montreal,to live ( being a writter )that are known by thiere strong ethic backgrounds....( Italian,Packistanie,South American,Central American,Indian,Lebeness,African,Yiddish,Greek, ect,ect, )...If there is anyone out there that could help me it would be so much appreciated by me,thanks....Sleepless in U.S

Last edited by suanboy; 01-27-2010 at 09:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal