Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 02:31 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,091,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
There are some that are still pushing for more and more french services now at the same time some want less and less english in Quebec that is why people get fed up.
You are talking about two different groups of people: Franco-Ontarians and Québécois, advocating different things.

In any event, the amount of English services in Quebec is way more generous than the French stuff in any Canadian province including Ontario, except New Brunswick, although the francophone community there is proportionately about four times the size of the anglo-Quebec community (so it's only normal): 33% vs. 9%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
The separatists long ago abandoned Franco-Ontarians and all the other Francophones in Canada when they decided they'd stop trying to promote the well being of French Canadians in Canada and instead would focus on the Quebecois in a new Quebecois homeland. When in government, the PQ actively worked against the cause of French language education in Manitoba because they're against minority linguistic right everywhere. As an English Quebecker, I have alot more sympathy for Franco-Ontarians as another linguistic minority than I do for the English Ontarians who find it somehow offensive that they should be able to get services in an official language in their own country.
While what you say is true, and not saying this is what you are doing, but it would be erroneous to link the mistreatment of francophone minorities to the Quebec independence movement. In fact, francophobia across Canada has long roots going back way before anyone had ever heard of the PQ. And the Quebec independence movement was actually partly created in reaction to this persistent Canadian francophobia.

Yes, Quebec separatists (and Quebecers in general) have often been at odds with francophone minorities living outside Quebec, although it is equally true that the minorities' rights started getting more attention and respect once the Québécois started getting uppity about separatism. So although I don't think this was a deliberate objective of the Quebec separatists, their shaking things up in Canada has indirectly produced tangible positive benefits for francophone minorities. Oddly enough.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:00 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,537,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
While what you say is true, and not saying this is what you are doing, but it would be erroneous to link the mistreatment of francophone minorities to the Quebec independence movement. In fact, francophobia across Canada has long roots going back way before anyone had ever heard of the PQ. And the Quebec independence movement was actually partly created in reaction to this persistent Canadian francophobia.

Yes, Quebec separatists (and Quebecers in general) have often been at odds with francophone minorities living outside Quebec, although it is equally true that the minorities' rights started getting more attention and respect once the Québécois started getting uppity about separatism. So although I don't think this was a deliberate objective of the Quebec separatists, their shaking things up in Canada has indirectly produced tangible positive benefits for francophone minorities. Oddly enough.
Yes, of course I didn't mean to imply they created the issue, I'm just saying that by narrowly only caring about Quebec and disengaging from the federation they steered Quebec away from advocating for Francophone rights nation-wide. Of course progress has been made, but I think part of that was also the tide of history, and that more progress would have been made if Quebec with all of its demographic might had been advocating for it. Instead, the separatists just aimed to antagonize the ROC and exacerbated Francophobia, rather than fighting against it. It's the federalists who believed in a bilingual Canada, like Trudeau, who did the most good on this front, not the separatists who only cared about the province of Quebec getting independence rather than promoting the interests of French Canadians more broadly. Once again, i'm not saying there weren't spin off benefits to the separatist movement, but that I think there would have been more gains had history gone differently.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Yes, of course I didn't mean to imply they created the issue, I'm just saying that by narrowly only caring about Quebec and disengaging from the federation they steered Quebec away from advocating for Francophone rights nation-wide. Of course progress has been made, but I think part of that was also the tide of history, and that more progress would have been made if Quebec with all of its demographic might had been advocating for it. Instead, the separatists just aimed to antagonize the ROC and exacerbated Francophobia, rather than fighting against it. It's the federalists who believed in a bilingual Canada, like Trudeau, who did the most good on this front, not the separatists who only cared about the province of Quebec getting independence rather than promoting the interests of French Canadians more broadly. Once again, i'm not saying there weren't spin off benefits to the separatist movement, but that I think there would have been more gains had history gone differently.
Just for fun and to be the devil's advocate, prior to the 1950s EVERYONE in Quebec was a federalist, and francophones outside Quebec (and in Quebec to some degree even) still got crapped on. It did not really help francophones to have the entire political class of Quebec of federalist allegeance and (somewhat) more interested in their fate.

What I think helped francophones outside Quebec was the push and pull between federalists and separatists, and the fact that the federal government and some of the anglo provinces started paying attention to francophone minorities in order to prove the separatists wrong (or at least not prove them right).

Also, many francophone minorities, though they would be loath to admit it, also took some cues from their uppity Québécois cousins, and became a lot more feisty and aggressive with their demands. Though never going as far as supporting Quebec independence of course.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:56 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times
Odd the op has nothing more to contribute to the topic..

Quote:
We're taking our city back!
I did want to ask him about which city he was referring to and take it back from what?.

http://alliancequebec2.wordpress.com...press-release/

Mostly the Anglophone community doesnt really care anymore, were bilingual and living in a French milieu, if we wanted to live entirely in English we'd just move to the ROC just as a Francophone wanting to live entirely in French will just move to Quebec...

Last edited by jambo101; 12-03-2012 at 01:39 AM..

Old 12-03-2012, 09:54 AM

This part was quite funny:

Our Board now meets bi-annually, in the Caribbean, to review policy implementation schedules and six-month communication strategy initiatives.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:21 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This part was quite funny:

Our Board now meets bi-annually, in the Caribbean, to review policy implementation schedules and six-month communication strategy initiatives.
I couldnt resist, i added to their comment section, (Retired in Mtl.) Much as i am pro Anglophone culture these guys are really out there in their aspirations to bring down Bill101 and the OLF. their responses are the stuff of dreams.
It will be interesting to follow their progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal