Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 02:11 AM

108 posts, read 247,917 times

Advertisements

I understand that it gets extremely cold in Montreal with lots of snow, but is there a bit of sun at least? I currently live in the North of France where it is miserable, gray and rainy for most of the year. We have about 45 days of full sun, and around 100 days with 2-4 hours of sun. They rest of the days are just complete crap!

I read one statistic that Montreal has an average of 303 mostly sunny days. Does that seem to be somewhat accurate?

And how long does winter last...Oct/Nov - April?

I've looked up stats, but just wanted to get a general idea from someone who lives (or has lived) in Montreal.

Thanks!

P.S. Just to give you an idea as to the area near where I live, see the clip below. It's funny and slightly exaggerated, but only slightly!

Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 03:02 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times
303 sunny days a year in Montreal sounds about right, Montreal definitely doesnt have an abnormal number of dreary days.
Winter can be variable but temps start cooling down in November and get downright cold in Jan. and Feb.Winter is over by April however its not unheard of to get the rare snowfall in Nov. or April.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:21 PM

@Jambo - Good to know! I think I would have a much easier time dealing with the snow and blistering cold, as long as there is a bit of sunshine.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:22 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times
Some live and work in Montreal's underground city,32 kilometers of offices,shops,food courts, and many highrise apartments whose ground floor exits to the underground city,also has 5-6 subway stations,
Gets one out of the winter but bit pricey though..

Old 06-26-2012, 07:04 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,091,251 times
The weather is not really like ch'ti country (funny movie btw).

The dreariest periods are from mid-October to late November, and in April-March. This would resemble the weather in Lille or Brussels.

Summers are generally a lot warmer and hotter and sunnier than in northern France and Belgium/UK.

Montreal is on the same latitude as the Côte-d'Azur so the sun in the summer is about the same intensity as down there.

Even in the late winter (February) the sun can be quite warm even though the air temperature is still very cold.

Probably 4 or 5 out of 7 days in winter have some sun. The typical pattern is a day or two of clouds which usually bring some snow and temperatures just below zero C. Then a high pressure system comes in with colder temperatures and bright sunny skies for a few days.

The day after a big snowstorm is usually colder with bright sunshine and sparkling white fresh snow. Sounds really magical but don't forget to bundle up.

Summers are, as I said, warm to hot and generally sunny. Rain usually falls during evening thunderstorms that come after a really hot day (for a few days it was 35 C with a 45+ C "humidex" feeling last week) that lasts for maybe half an hour.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:53 AM

@Jambo - An underground city? Sounds interesting. Though despite the cold, I think I would rather live above ground.

@Acajack - Very funny movie, indeed! You described the weather really well, thanks! We might be moving to the Montreal area in near future, so I'm trying to find out as much as possible before we go. I think we'll be taking a trip in late October to check everything out before we move. My husband will be working in Montreal, but I'm hoping we'll be able to live in Beaconsfield. From everything I have read so far, it seems like a great neighborhood. Family oriented, large English speaking population, and nice schools (very impressed with Christmas Park Elementary!).

Old 06-26-2012, 09:18 AM

179 posts, read 831,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD78 View Post
@Jambo - An underground city? Sounds interesting. Though despite the cold, I think I would rather live above ground.

@Acajack - Very funny movie, indeed! You described the weather really well, thanks! We might be moving to the Montreal area in near future, so I'm trying to find out as much as possible before we go. I think we'll be taking a trip in late October to check everything out before we move. My husband will be working in Montreal, but I'm hoping we'll be able to live in Beaconsfield. From everything I have read so far, it seems like a great neighborhood. Family oriented, large English speaking population, and nice schools (very impressed with Christmas Park Elementary!).
LOL nobody actually lives "underground". The underground city is basically a network of tunnels that interconnect metro stations, schools, shopping malls, office buildings, apartment buildings, etc. So for example you live on the 20th floor of your apartment building, you take the elevator and by the lobby you can find an entrance that will lead you to a metro station, you take it, get off at a different metro station that has a tunnel that leads you to your university, then take another tunnel that takes you to a shopping mall, you shop around and then go home. In total you were outside maybe like 5 minutes. That's how it works. It's not like we have Atlantis underneath Montréal (though that would be pretty awesome!)

Old 06-26-2012, 09:39 AM

@Mexi - Wow, that's naivety at it's best! Do I win an award or something? ;o)

Though in my defense, I was thinking more of a basement style thing, not Atlantis! Even so, tunnels that interconnect buildings and metro stations sound rather convenient when there is severe weather.

Now I know why Rick Mercer has such an easy time picking on Americans...

Last edited by DD78; 06-26-2012 at 09:58 AM..

Old 06-26-2012, 10:04 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,183,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexiQuebecois View Post
LOL nobody actually lives "underground". The underground city is basically a network of tunnels that interconnect metro stations, schools, shopping malls, office buildings, apartment buildings, etc. So for example you live on the 20th floor of your apartment building, you take the elevator and by the lobby you can find an entrance that will lead you to a metro station, you take it, get off at a different metro station that has a tunnel that leads you to your university, then take another tunnel that takes you to a shopping mall, you shop around and then go home. In total you were outside maybe like 5 minutes. That's how it works. It's not like we have Atlantis underneath Montréal (though that would be pretty awesome!)
So basically it's like the PATH in Toronto?

Old 06-26-2012, 10:04 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,091,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
So basically it's like the PATH in Toronto?
Highly similar yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal