Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 10:46 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,033,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Consider also that about 15,000-20,000 Britons move to the United States every year. And the US has more than 300,000,000 people.

So sure, it's not a flood but relative to population the migration from France to Quebec is a fairly significant phenomenon.

Perhaps not on the scale of Britons to Australia for example (roughly 20,000 per year for a host population of just over 20 million), but relative to Brits to Canada or US, it's a bigger flow.
Perhaps Canada vis-a-vis the US gets a larger influx of immigrants because its easier to apply to migrate to Canada than the US? If you have the points, its easy to apply to move there. Much easier than applying to move to Oz or even NZ. Virtually impossible to apply to immigrate to the US.. takes many years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 11:04 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,091,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Perhaps Canada vis-a-vis the US gets a larger influx of immigrants because its easier to apply to migrate to Canada than the US? If you have the points, its easy to apply to move there. Much easier than applying to move to Oz or even NZ. Virtually impossible to apply to immigrate to the US.. takes many years.
Yes, Canada is apparently one of the easiest first world countries to get into. However, this is not the same as immigration composition, which is what we are talking about here.

BTW - the U.S. accepts hundreds of thousands (between 1 and 2 million in fact) of legal immigrants every year, so it's not at all impossible to immigrate there.

I think Canada accepts about 250,000 so relative to population this is more than the U.S. And within Canada, Quebec accepts about 40,000 a year, which is fairly high as well relative to its population.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:14 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,033,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yes, Canada is apparently one of the easiest first world countries to get into. However, this is not the same as immigration composition, which is what we are talking about here.

BTW - the U.S. accepts hundreds of thousands (between 1 and 2 million in fact) of legal immigrants every year, so it's not at all impossible to immigrate there.

I think Canada accepts about 250,000 so relative to population this is more than the U.S. And within Canada, Quebec accepts about 40,000 a year, which is fairly high as well relative to its population.
Yes its impossible to move to the US, but its a lot more difficult than Canada or most first world countries. My suggestion is the migration composition may have something to do with the "relative ease" of migrating to Canada, at least compared to the US.

I wonder thought if some immigrants to Canada use it as a back door to the US (thanks to the Nafta visa). For every 1 American moving to Canada 3.5/4 Canadians move to the US. I have not found any statistic to see if that 3.5/4 is native born Canadian or immigrant to Canada.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Yes its impossible to move to the US, but its a lot more difficult than Canada or most first world countries. My suggestion is the migration composition may have something to do with the "relative ease" of migrating to Canada, at least compared to the US.

I wonder thought if some immigrants to Canada use it as a back door to the US (thanks to the Nafta visa). For every 1 American moving to Canada 3.5/4 Canadians move to the US. I have not found any statistic to see if that 3.5/4 is native born Canadian or immigrant to Canada.
Regarding the moves from Canada to the U.S., it is likely a mix of native-born and immigrants. Probably quite a few immigrants come to Canada as a way to get into the U.S., but many end up staying for a variety of reasons (good job, relationships, family, visa issues, etc.). That said, I have read before that roughly one quarter of all immigrants accepted to Canada move to the U.S. eventually. (Some legally, some illegally.)

As for Quebec specifically, its retention rates are quite high for French-speaking immigrants. For example, for people from France five years after arrival something like 87% are still here. For people from former French colonies like Morocco, Algeria, etc., the retention rates are even higher - usually over 90%. On the other hand, for places where people are less likely to have some knowledge of French like Taiwan, Quebec holds onto them a lot less, and often 50, 60 or even 70% of them are gone within five years.

So in the case of Quebec at least, language seems to be a significant factor in attracting immigrants and retaining them.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:43 AM

Funny, but in recent days I've a heard a news report about an upcoming Davis Cup tennis match between Canada and France that Canada will be hosting. A senior person with Tennis Canada has been saying that the match is likely to be held in Vancouver, rather than Montreal or Toronto. One of the reasons he cited for not choosing Montreal was that there are so many expat French in Montreal that it might give the French players home-court advantage, or at least the support of a significant portion of the crowd!

Old 10-07-2011, 02:16 PM

326 posts, read 765,201 times
This thread is very interesting. We are going to visit Montreal next week. I have read various materials related to visiting Montreal, but didn't consider the people/population factor - I guess I just assumed that the Montreal has Canadians who are just like all the Canadians I know, except QB province speaks French. But now I am wondering about the friendliness aspect of the city.

When I researched restaurants in Montreal, some posters on this forum recommended
Au Pied de Cochon
But one tripadvisor review said this -

“maybe not as good as they say”
Reviewed October 6, 2011 NEW
Pro-food was quite tasty and well prepared with good sized portions. However, it did not live up to the hype that we had read. Not phenomenal food but satisfying and filling.
Con_ we made a reservation several weeks in advance. When we arrived we were told that it would be a few moments to be seated(we were early for our reservation) Unfortunately, we had to wait almost 45 minutes and several other people were seated prior to us(they did arrive after us also) when we questioned this we were, essentially ,brushed off. the hostess seemed to be more interested in flirting with the manager or the gentleman running the restaurant that evening. I would not recommend this place for the service but I would recommend it for the food. So, if you go into the restauant expecting poor service, you will not be disappointed. "

I was wondering whether they don't treat their non-French speaking customers as well as French speaker customers. Is there such a tendency in the city?

Old 10-10-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cls88 View Post
This thread is very interesting. We are going to visit Montreal next week. I have read various materials related to visiting Montreal, but didn't consider the people/population factor - I guess I just assumed that the Montreal has Canadians who are just like all the Canadians I know, except QB province speaks French. But now I am wondering about the friendliness aspect of the city.

When I researched restaurants in Montreal, some posters on this forum recommended
Au Pied de Cochon
But one tripadvisor review said this -

“maybe not as good as they say”
Reviewed October 6, 2011 NEW
Pro-food was quite tasty and well prepared with good sized portions. However, it did not live up to the hype that we had read. Not phenomenal food but satisfying and filling.
Con_ we made a reservation several weeks in advance. When we arrived we were told that it would be a few moments to be seated(we were early for our reservation) Unfortunately, we had to wait almost 45 minutes and several other people were seated prior to us(they did arrive after us also) when we questioned this we were, essentially ,brushed off. the hostess seemed to be more interested in flirting with the manager or the gentleman running the restaurant that evening. I would not recommend this place for the service but I would recommend it for the food. So, if you go into the restauant expecting poor service, you will not be disappointed. "

I was wondering whether they don't treat their non-French speaking customers as well as French speaker customers. Is there such a tendency in the city?
Check out the other threads here and you will see you don't have much to worry about.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:28 PM

51 posts, read 102,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTourist View Post
Why would anyone leave gorgeous France, one of the most well developed (not only economically, but also culturally), integrated, refined countries in the world with mild livable climate, beautiful diverse nature (Alps, Normandy, Mediterranean) for place like Quebec or particularly Montreal???
Hmm...it sounds like you've never actually been to France...

Some people might have different tastes than you my friend.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:20 AM

6 posts, read 37,092 times
Default D'accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTourist View Post

What I don't understand why these people move to Canada, they speak french french, obviously not for family reasons.

Why would anyone leave gorgeous France, one of the most well developed (not only economically, but also culturally), integrated, refined countries in the world with mild livable climate, beautiful diverse nature (Alps, Normandy, Mediterranean) for place like Quebec or particularly Montreal???

Do they think Quebec is a land of opportunities and when they didn't make it in one of the most developer countries in the world, a 6 figure job will magically descend on them in Canada?

I'm sorry Quebec isn't exactly the US in its better times. You pay 30-40%+ from any decent paycheck here and 13% sales tax, usually start with a 3 week vacation (compared to 5-7 weeks in France) and work generally in more toxic environments.

On a street level Montreal is quite gritty city stuck in 80's (there's some charm to it I admit) with lots of low-brow rough people and dumbed down jock/thug-worshiping culture with little alternative to that.

I can only see a loss in a lifestyle for someone moving from France to Quebec (vacation-, culture-, weather-, everything else-wise, unless you like snow and hockey).

At the same time I don't see Canada, especially Quebec as a land of financial opportunities -- one should move to higher salary/lower taxes country like Switzerland or the US if that's the main goal.

Am I right they're just uninformed people who make a mistake moving here or I'm missing something? This whole french french moving to Quebec or Canada thing is very puzzling for me.

What's the point?
Tu te sens menacé ?........

France is sure thing great country, J aime Paris,Provence,Bretagne ect. !! ,Europe from North America´s point of view is a place of economic strenght,cultural diversities and that Joie de vivre which is like 8th wonder to the Americans but all that have a price to pay .Funny how the acronym P.I.G.S.(Mediterranean) fit well to describe countries it refers to ( smart but like to get dirty ....mmm they miss Croatia in this..damn it supposed to be C.P.I.G.S.)...Who ever has some salt in his head doesn't expect anything from any1 ...i don't like to discuss about taxes ( from my point of view they are always high,from government point of view they could grow up a little )......."
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything" and my favorite " The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one"....this is not an argue just my thoughts about the subject ! ....http://vimeo.com/31240369

Salut!

Last edited by Zagreb; 11-06-2011 at 11:29 AM..

Old 11-08-2012, 08:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,924 times
Like people have mentioned, I came here to experience North American culture while at the same time being able to speak my native language. There is also cheap tuition for French students at universities here, so there are many of us! I go to an english university, and in some of my classes, 10-20% of the students are from France. It is quite funny.

France is not some paradise as you make it out to be. It is a beautiful country, but it has it's share of problems just like here or anywhere else. I really hope to stay here after I graduate. I don't care if the city isn't the most economically powerful, or there aren't new skyscrapers everywhere, I don't choose what city to live in based on those criteria. I look for culture and quality of life, and in my opinion, this city has them both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal