Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 04:31 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,860,159 times

Advertisements

There are street lamps along Maisonneuve.
I'd be concerned if the power transmission tower is directly opposite your unit, commonly perceived as health and fire hazards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 04:46 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie86 View Post
There are street lamps along Maisonneuve.
I'd be concerned if the power transmission tower is directly opposite your unit, commonly perceived as health and fire hazards.
Doesnt matter as Dialing_J is now thinking of moving to Verdun.,

Old 09-10-2011, 05:37 PM

6 posts, read 27,986 times
Still debating actually :P I like the vibe of NDG more than I do Verdun but from what I'm reading, Verdun is getting better and better. Housing prices are starting to shoot up in Verdun whereas it seems like NDG is expensive in general (unless you're looking at the condos by the tracks :P)
But yes, the transmission tower does raise concern. There is no definite answer as to whether it affects your health or not so that does make me somewhat iffy.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:32 PM

6 posts, read 27,986 times
I asked a friend who lives in NDG who says that the area around Oxford and De Maisonneuve is not a good place to be because of problems with local gangs. Anyone else have a different opinion? Same opinion?

Old 10-21-2011, 06:15 AM

65 posts, read 133,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Between Sherbrooke and the tracks is a great area in my opinion. That tower is telecommunications for everything from cable tv to cell phones , shouldnt be a bother unless it falls down on your house..
Laughed my head off, on this one! Ker=blam! (The visual images just were priceless)

Old 10-22-2011, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialing_J View Post
I asked a friend who lives in NDG who says that the area around Oxford and De Maisonneuve is not a good place to be because of problems with local gangs. Anyone else have a different opinion? Same opinion?
I've never seen gangs in that area but its been awhile since i lived in that neighborhood maybe things have changed,De Maisonneuve parallels the tracks for a few miles,just look further west, perhaps west of Cavendish, Architecture is mostly 4 plexes.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,617 times
I live on Oxford below Sherbrooke and it is a fantastic location. i live closer to Sherbrooke than the condos but those condos always seem to sell. de Maisonneuve is safe in my opinion. I walk to the metro or run there regularly and have never had a problem. it's an urban environment so there is graffiti and it looks somewhat rough but is in fact fine. Would definitely stay in NDG vs Verdun for resale and for proximity to the city. where I live, I don't hear the trains at all but being near the tracks you probably would. having said that, it's just a commuter train so if you work outside of your home the noise probably won't bother you too much as most of the train activity is during rush hour and a few times per day. good luck!

Old 07-13-2012, 09:38 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Every once in awhile things happen in DG, but overall north of the tracks is A really cool area to live. Even south of the tracks aint that bad. DG is one of the coolest areas to live in MTL. Dont worry about anything, its safe. like the poster said before dont let the graffiti fool you. If you like BBq chicken i highly recommend "Chalet BBq" on sherbrooke near decarie.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:17 PM

Another dead thread as Dialing-J has not given us the courtesy of a reply in some time..

Old 07-16-2012, 10:15 PM

61 posts, read 117,857 times
the idea that anywhere in montreal (except maybe montreal-nord) being "dangerous" is laughable. would i hang out around berri uqam metro late at night, talking to drug dealers and junkies? no. would i aimlessly wander around verdun or homa at 3-4 am? probably not. but to consider them dangerous? this is canada, dude. i've lived in this city for 5 years and i have hardly heard of ANYONE being randomly assaulted - like hardly ever. very rarely. go walk around some "up and coming" part of Brooklyn and then a less residential part of ndg will be put into perspective for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal