Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 10:54 AM

13 posts, read 26,378 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm a physician interested in moving to Montana OR Wyoming in about a year. We currently live in Nashville, TN and have spent a good deal of time in the area (mostly Southwest MT and Northwest WY) and would love to make it a more permanent home. The practices that I have been in contact with are located in Billings, MT, Cody, WY and Casper, WY.

A brief background: I grew up on a cattle farm in rural TN and have always loved the country life. I have a beautiful wife and 2 small children with more on the way! We are looking for a small town (willing to commute 30 min if need be) with a good job for me, friendly people, a good church to attend, and the opportunity to buy a good chunk of land to start a cattle ranch of our own. My wife is a former teacher but will be staying at home with our children and we like the idea of potentially homeschooling. We also would like to have opportunities for our children to be involved in sports (hockey, soccer, gymnastics, baseball, etc). As for me, I'm a big fly fisherman, hunter, skier, and also enjoy flying small airplanes when not working.

I have searched the forums thoroughly but didn't really find anything specific to our situation. We would love to hear from anyone that can shed some light on moving to Billings/Cody/Casper and raising a family there. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 11:23 AM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
If you want to live in a small town near those cities, check into Laurel and Columbus MT & Douglas and Powell WY.

But, as always, defining the size of a small town to you could help. Willing to go below 2,000 people? Prefer 5,000?

Old 02-20-2018, 11:38 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
Ag land will be cheapest in Casper area. The downside to Casper is the wind tends to blow a lot. Land will be most expensive near Cody. Billings in the area of Fromberg has potential for setting up a small cattle op with access to locally grown feed & cattle industry infrastructure--whether you went registered or commercial.

Wyoming will probably be better for you financially because there is no state income tax.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:14 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,216,321 times
Wyoming will be terrible for your practice. Medical Malpractice insurance rates are through the roof in Wyoming. Montana has cheaper rates and better access to sports as Wyoming towns typically has 1 of everything but that's it. You'll pay higher property and income taxes (Montana's are quite steep) but there's no sales tax.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:38 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
There are sometimes pretty good chunks (not fullblown ranches but ~100 acres at a crack) priced more reasonable than most for what they are, within half an hour or so east of Billings, and down toward the river (you don't want up in the hills, too much risk of drilling long dry holes and still no water). I'd look for one with existing irrigation. Depends of course what you can spend but just thinking in terms of a decent starter kit.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:30 PM

6 posts, read 11,174 times
Take it from someone who was essentially raised in Billings and unfortunately found my way back..... move anywhere in this region other than here!!! The meth epidemic, crime, people..... it all SUCKS!! Houses are getting broken into right and left, assaults..... just got done installing cameras at my place due to a stolen vehicle. Do a quick search on any of the neighborhood watch sites. Thieves and drug addicts roam this town comfortably with the local PD doing little to nothing to stop them. Not a place I like to live and I would NEVER raise child here.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:32 PM

Cody Wy is your best off that list, also consider Sheridan Wy ..... beautiful communities that are very welcoming.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:37 PM

#10 in the nation per capita, it has since climbed. Very few to none are being recovered.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorz.../#5e742a617f58

Old 03-12-2018, 07:14 PM

246 posts, read 349,369 times
I just left the west. I was in Northwest Montana for 12 years but traveled extensively in the state. Land is astronomically expensive pretty much anywhere and it is very dry in the areas your looking at. Average acres needed for a cow calf pair is around 20 acres and maybe more in all of those areas. That means if you wanted to raise a dozen cows you would need around 240 acres. As another poster mentioned, Crime is getting pretty bad too. Meth is horrible and Heroine is coming in. You say you want to fly. With the wind in that area it's not an easy place to learn.

Just a suggestion but you might look for a farm in the upper midwest. I'm near Minocqua and the area i live in has everything you like:

We have decent skiing at multiple locations. Although you won't find 2,000' of vertical drop, you will find great family skiing.

Deer hunting is good and the Ruffed Grouse capitol of the world in just west of me.

Fishing here is AMAZING! The Brule River is not too far away for some awesome trout fly fishing but i see fly fisherman on or hundreds of local lakes every time i'm out. Just my county has 563 named lakes, 755 un-named lakes over 94,000 acres. Nothing like tying into a crappie on a fly rod lol.

Hockey, The USA National Pond Hockey tournament is held every year here. Their is a High School Hockey team as well. Soccer, gymnastics and baseball are also coached here.

It sounds like your family is very outdoors oriented. My wife works at the local hospital and they have a hell of a time attracting doctors here in the area as the guys are all for it but the women want more shopping options. We just drive an hour or so south every month or so to do any major shopping but honestly everything you need is right in the area.

Finally the best reason to look here is the awesome real estate prices.About 2 acres will run a cow calf pair here so the same dozen cows could be run on 20-30 acres here

Good Luck!.

Old 03-14-2018, 02:03 PM

910 posts, read 1,081,380 times
First, I'm going to talk to you as a disabled veteran. I don't know what you specialize in, but the VA system in Montana is severely understaffed. I know you will earn more in private practice, but it is a very bad situation we are in. Of course if you are a pediatrician, this won't apply to you anyway.

I can't speak for Billings, my family and I moved to Helena. The Helena valley and surrounding areas are very nice. Lots of sports opportunities for the kids. Great schools. Helena also has a very stable economy due to all of the state and federal jobs here.

I looked at Wyoming, and honestly, Montana had more to offer. Even with Wyoming not having a state income tax.

Here is what I love about Montana.

Tons of public land for hunting, fishing, and recreation. A large portion of this land is accessible.

Very good public school system.

Very good university system.

Very affordable real estate, with the exception of a handful of communities.

There are lots of small towns.

Most of the state, the only real crime is alcohol related, or domestic abuse.

In Montana, there is a real mixture of the classes. There are people from all walks of life living in this state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana