Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2015, 08:00 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times

Advertisements

You take all the time you need Elk, you aren't gaming the system and take the time you need to get better

Pushing too hard is part of what got you in the shape you're in, so enjoy some good food, let the nurses fuss over you, use your PT equipment and listen to the therapist. It will be to your benefit.

Besides, you've had a rough year or so, you need some down time to rebuild your reserves.

Little philosophical this morning as my 73 year old mother was just taken to the hospital with pneumonia. She is supposed to be doing well, but they keep extending her stay for another day, and another day...
So I'm going down there to get some solid information. Five hours of driving today to get down there, check in on her and drive back for work tomorrow.

Gotta do what we gotta do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 08:26 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Well, you nailed it when you gave me a bad time about sticking around because of the food and nurses taking care of me. Actually, the food is damn good (and I don't have to cook, or buy the food), the care is terrific, and I have great equipment to use in PT. Basically, they are leaving it up to me. They said, "We want you to feel comfortable and confident that you feel safe and secure that you can take care of yourself at home. . So I can pretty much write my own ticket. I want the best PT, but, I don't want to take advantage of the system.
Glad to hear you're doing better Elk!
As for staying, well it's my opinion you EARNED the care you're getting when you put your butt on the line years ago in service to this country.

I second you staying, soak up the food and put meat back on your bones, take advantage of all the PT you can but don't try and rush recovery. I did that with my shoulder and ended up working myself into a frozen shoulder.

You are at an age where the body takes longer to heal, you and I are NOT 20 years old and indestructible anymore, we break easier and take longer to return to some semblance of (age adjusted) normal.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:24 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
You take all the time you need Elk, you aren't gaming the system and take the time you need to get better

Pushing too hard is part of what got you in the shape you're in, so enjoy some good food, let the nurses fuss over you, use your PT equipment and listen to the therapist. It will be to your benefit.

Besides, you've had a rough year or so, you need some down time to rebuild your reserves.

Little philosophical this morning as my 73 year old mother was just taken to the hospital with pneumonia. She is supposed to be doing well, but they keep extending her stay for another day, and another day...
So I'm going down there to get some solid information. Five hours of driving today to get down there, check in on her and drive back for work tomorrow.

I hope she's okay. I'll say a prayer for her.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:38 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,376 times
Quote:

Sorry to hear about your mom...................hope her recovery is "total' and without complications.
How was your road-trip down there and back?
Keep us informed.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I hope she's okay. I'll say a prayer for her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Sorry to hear about your mom...................hope her recovery is "total' and without complications.
How was your road-trip down there and back?
Keep us informed.
Thank you guys, I appreciate your wishes.

The trip was good, long but good. Nothing quite like early spring in Montana when the fields are starting to green, deer and antelope all over the hills just about to start dropping their fawns, the weather was good for the most part, although a rain storm between Clyde Park and Wilsall just about washed me off the road! Boy did it come down for a little bit! Cleaned all the bugs off my windshield though

My mother is doing pretty well. She went in Sunday, and it was pretty serious. When I got down there yesterday, she was finally off of the oxygen and the IV antibiotics.
They were going to try solid food as the coughing had irritated her throat and it was swollen, so she couldn't swallow real food and had been living on broth soup, jello and yogert for 3 days.

Her parkinsons makes it hard for her to swallow anyway, so this didn't help, but she seems to be doing a lot better.
Her color was good, she was sitting in a recliner in the room out of bed, and when my father came in they both held a good conversation with me, and I had bought a new PC Tablet, so I set it up, so they were watching music videos and we had a pretty good time.

Not a fan of hospitals, but that little hospital in Big Timber really seems to care for the patients. The staff was looking in regularly, the therapists came by while I was there and checked her out and were giving her instructions on how to maximize her recoveray.
They know her there anyway because her and my father come in about every 2 weeks and play music for the patients.

Anyway, she seems to be doing pretty good, my father is holding up as I bought him a bucket of chicken to take home so he doesn't starve until she recovers.

Getting old isn't pleasant, but it beats the alternative.

I feel a lot better about the situation today anyway.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:39 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Quote:
My mother is doing pretty well. She went in Sunday, and it was pretty serious. When I got down there yesterday, she was finally off of the oxygen and the IV antibiotics.
Glad she's getting better. Sounds like it was pretty serious! And don't be drivin' off the road while you're washin' your car.

With Parkinson's, the doctor should ALWAYS do a FULL thyroid workup (most notably, test Free T3) as there is considerable overlap with hypothyroidism, and the symptoms can be identical. A lot of sub-optimal thyroids get misdiagnosed as Parkinson's, and turns out about 25% of elderly are sufficiently hypothyroid to have a non-visible goiter (discovered at autopsy). The majority of "symptoms of aging" are probably mild hypothyroidism (most notably poor balance, loss of coordination/strength/muscle mass, and loss of memory) due to reduced conversion of T4 to T3, which happens in most older people, and is why the Free T3 test is important (when there is poor conversion, the TSH and T4 tests will produce absolutely wrong conclusions).

Old 05-15-2015, 10:03 AM

Thank you for the information Reziac. My whole family is hypothyroid, including me, so we watch that pretty close.

She does have parkinsons, and has had it for about 8 years now. She does pretty well, and through her work and exercise, she has not only kept from the disease progressing, she has actually made progress so that she is kind of getting better or improving her tests from previous tests. She won't ever get rid of it, but at least she's keeping it under control.

Got some good news this morning, she was released from the hospital late yesterday

I talked to her this morning, her voice is still pretty rough, and she's still coughing, but says she's doing better.

I hope we get a good update on Elkhunter too in the near future, unless of course one of those pretty nurses ran off with him somewhere, then it may be a while before he posts again.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:17 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
That's good to hear!

We have a Boy Scout District camporee this weekend at Hellgate. My son and I are in the OA (Order of the Arrow) and we are responsible for running the events. My role? Cooking for 20 teens and adults.

So tomorrow I am making a BIG 10lb BBQ meatloaf in a 9qt dutch oven and a huge apple strudel in another dutch oven for desert.

That's meatloaf has 8lbs of ground, one package of chopped bacon, 3 medium yellow onions and 3 green peppers (diced) one whole garlic (minced), 4 cups of oatmeal, 4 eggs and a bit of various seasonings. It's going to be a monster, lol. The strudel is going to have from scratch pie pastry bottom filled with 4 lbs of fresh sliced apples mixed with sugar, cinnamon, touch of salt then a mix of condensed milk, egg and sugar on top. Then she's latticed with fresh pastry and put on the coals for 45minutes.

I'm going to be a busy beaver all weekend.

And of course- it's going to rain like He*l all weekend too. Of course- it wouldn't be an official mass gathering of Boy Scouts without rain and mud, lol.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:33 AM

Now that's an interesting meatloaf, never thought to put bacon in it. Got some ground beef that's not up to regular eatin' (cuz I like it next to raw and this ain't that good) that I was thinkin' of making into meatloaf...

...and at first I missed a line and thought you'd put condensed milk on top of the meatloaf.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the information Reziac. My whole family is hypothyroid, including me, so we watch that pretty close.
Mine too, and I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis... have had to take up reading the Journal of Endocrinology in sheer self-defense. Practically NONE of the research has filtered down to general practice, and a great deal of how hypothyroidism is being handled today is just plain wrong, as anyone who reads the research could plainly see... much to the ill health of some patients, including me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana