Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2019, 03:15 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,423,539 times

Advertisements

We decided to stop in Mobile for a couple days on our way back from the inlaws. Would be the weekend of May 10. Looking for things to do, safe places to stay, etc. Interested in any nautical / lighthouse stuff or Civil War. Also noticed hotels from $30 to $275+. Assuming we avoid the $30 areas. Any good safe hotels in the mid 100s / low 200s range? We aren't beach people so won't be sunbathing or anything, but a view of the water from a very well air conditioned room would be nice. Also any suggestions on how to not be viewed as the evil tourist would be great. We had them where I grew up. Would never want to be that type of person in another town!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 07:50 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
I definitely recommended taking one of the Delta River Cruises at Blakeley State Park.

https://www.blakeleypark.com/Cruises

The Five Rivers Delta Center is also worth a visit...
https://www.outdooralabama.com/activ...esource-center

There are numerous motels along hwy 98 @ I-10 in Daphne if you decide to visit the places above. Comfort Inn, Fairfield Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, etc...

Old 04-17-2019, 08:32 PM

5,000 posts, read 9,146,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
We decided to stop in Mobile for a couple days on our way back from the inlaws. Would be the weekend of May 10. Looking for things to do, safe places to stay, etc. Interested in any nautical / lighthouse stuff or Civil War. Also noticed hotels from $30 to $275+. Assuming we avoid the $30 areas. Any good safe hotels in the mid 100s / low 200s range? We aren't beach people so won't be sunbathing or anything, but a view of the water from a very well air conditioned room would be nice. Also any suggestions on how to not be viewed as the evil tourist would be great. We had them where I grew up. Would never want to be that type of person in another town!
Things to do :

Mobile Art Walk downtown.

Checkout The Basilica Cathedral in downtown Mobile. It is the oldest Basilica Cathedral on the Gulf Coast and is worth visiting even if you're not religious.

Bienville Bites Food Tour.

Middle Bay Light house tour https://wildnativetours.com/private-...house-charter/

Perdido Queen cruise and dinner Cruise

Mobile Carnival Museum( Mobile has the nations oldest Mardi Gras)

Mobile Delta tour.The Mobile Tensaw -Delta is America's version of the Amazon.

Mobile History Museum.

Gulf Quest interactive Meritime Museum (since you are big into nautical stuff)

Explore the city's historic districts( I prefer on foot): Oakleigh Historic District- Check out Callaghan's Irish pub it's a neighborhood pub known for its burgers.

De Tonti Square Historic District - Check out Iron Hand Brewery.

Church Street East Historic District - Check out Serda's Brewery and Haint Blue Brewery. Also check out Fort Conde'.

Check out Fort Gaines on Dauphin Island and the Audubon Bird Sanctuary.

Hotels with a view of the water:

Riverview Plaza Hotel and Battle House Hotel in Mobile.

Air B&B on Dauphin island.

Hilton Garden Inn in Daphne.

Grand Hotel Fairhope.

Advice on not being an evil tourist: Pronounce the city name as the locals do it's Moh - Beel .

Last edited by PortCity; 04-17-2019 at 08:41 PM..

Old 04-17-2019, 09:10 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,029,926 times
Stay at the Malaga Inn.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:36 PM

25,559 posts, read 17,263,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Do you enjoy spas? Golf? One of the best is near Mobile. We went this past January.
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...ph-collection/

Civil War? David Farragut screamed, "Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead", as he ran the gap between Ft Morgan and Ft Gaines. Ft Gaines is on Dauphin Island. Ft Morgan is opposite and a little harder to get to. Losing Mobile Bay was the death blow to The Confederacy.
There are only a couple of hotels on Dauphin Island, and I think the last time a crime was committed there was during the Carter administration. It is not a fancy place. It's an island, but you drive across a bridge to get to it.

Bird watching, nature... makes my blood pressure go down just thinking about it....

Old 04-18-2019, 06:14 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,423,539 times
Thank you everyone!

Old 04-18-2019, 05:27 PM

12,963 posts, read 9,478,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Things to do :

Mobile Art Walk downtown.

Checkout The Basilica Cathedral in downtown Mobile. It is the oldest Basilica Cathedral on the Gulf Coast and is worth visiting even if you're not religious.

Bienville Bites Food Tour.

Middle Bay Light house tour https://wildnativetours.com/private-...house-charter/

Perdido Queen cruise and dinner Cruise

Mobile Carnival Museum( Mobile has the nations oldest Mardi Gras)

Mobile Delta tour.The Mobile Tensaw -Delta is America's version of the Amazon.

Mobile History Museum.

Gulf Quest interactive Meritime Museum (since you are big into nautical stuff)

Explore the city's historic districts( I prefer on foot): Oakleigh Historic District- Check out Callaghan's Irish pub it's a neighborhood pub known for its burgers.

De Tonti Square Historic District - Check out Iron Hand Brewery.

Church Street East Historic District - Check out Serda's Brewery and Haint Blue Brewery. Also check out Fort Conde'.

Check out Fort Gaines on Dauphin Island and the Audubon Bird Sanctuary.

Hotels with a view of the water:

Riverview Plaza Hotel and Battle House Hotel in Mobile.

Air B&B on Dauphin island.

Hilton Garden Inn in Daphne.

Grand Hotel Fairhope.

Advice on not being an evil tourist: Pronounce the city name as the locals do it's Moh - Beel .
How about the Art Museum and Bellingrath Gardens? I've been to both and really enjoyed them.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:32 PM

313 posts, read 248,789 times
If you're looking to be central to most things, I would recommend the battle house renaissance hotel. It is ranked amongst the best hotels in al. I think there's a nice Terrance with a decent view of the skyline along with very nice interior decor(low 200s ) As far as things to do, I recommend the things that's been mentioned along with eastern shore lanes which is about 15mins away , owa amusement park which is a legit 30 to 45 mins away(not just an amusement park. https://visitowa.com/explore/ ), and of course the musuems; there's plenty. There may be other events happening during the time you're visiting, you can check out https://www.mobile.org/events/ for more info. Hope you all enjoy the bay area.

Last edited by MardiGras251; 04-18-2019 at 11:54 PM..

Old 04-19-2019, 07:04 AM

313 posts, read 248,789 times
Oh yeah and when you say things to do, we consider eating a thing to do here in mobile lol. There's so many great and unique restaurants, from fine cuisine to local eateries(dauphins seem to be a favorite, personally I lean towards the trellis room for the nice dinning). The local eateries are awesome too and of course there's the typical food chain restaurants. But here's a pretty good list from trip advisor https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...e_Alabama.html

Old 04-19-2019, 07:43 AM

5,000 posts, read 9,146,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
How about the Art Museum and Bellingrath Gardens? I've been to both and really enjoyed them.
I forgot about those two lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area