Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2010, 05:44 PM

26,435 posts, read 46,684,434 times

Advertisements

It is a cop out to say that oh Iowa is the Upper Midwest, and that is why they don't have very much in the way of rural poverty. However, Missouri has a MUCH MUCH bigger problem with rural poverty and a lack of economic development in many rural counties that has been going on for decades. The big difference is most rural Midwesterners would have immediately or gradually flocked to the urban centers or towns with greater employment opportunities. MO is not like this for the most part. Many people choose to stay in rural areas with very few jobs, even in the northern part of the state. Now, this is slowly starting to change as the 2009 population estimates from the Census Bureau have indicated an increasing outflow of residents from some of these economically struggling rural counties.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:09 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,720,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoKC View Post
I'm not from the south I've never been, I've lived in KC all of my life. I come to think of us Kansas Citians as Northern, not Southern. I personally am North of the River, which IMO is North of the Geographical center of the US. Nothing about this part of Missouri is souther other than Southerners who moved here, like my dad who is originally from Florida.
More info on the subject. Just wondering if you missed this thread that has been hashed and rehashed.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/misso...idwestern.html

Old 04-20-2010, 07:34 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,053,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
It is a cop out to say that oh Iowa is the Upper Midwest, and that is why they don't have very much in the way of rural poverty. However, Missouri has a MUCH MUCH bigger problem with rural poverty and a lack of economic development in many rural counties that has been going on for decades. The big difference is most rural Midwesterners would have immediately or gradually flocked to the urban centers or towns with greater employment opportunities. MO is not like this for the most part. Many people choose to stay in rural areas with very few jobs, even in the northern part of the state. Now, this is slowly starting to change as the 2009 population estimates from the Census Bureau have indicated an increasing outflow of residents from some of these economically struggling rural counties.
I would love to know how the data is playing out in the SE Missouri counties, as there us quite a bit of poverty there also.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:42 PM

26,435 posts, read 46,684,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I would love to know how the data is playing out in the SE Missouri counties, as there us quite a bit of poverty there also.
Most rural counties in southeast MO (with the exception of the bootheel and very isolated Ozarks counties) have seen population growth since 2000. At the same time, job growth and income growth have not been improving. Many areas of rural northern Missouri are actually worse due to accelerated declines in non-farm employment. The loss of manufacturing and the offshoring of jobs continues to be a problem. Some jobs in rural counties are being replaced by green tech as Atchison County now has the majority of its electricity coming from wind energy with more wind farms coming on-line.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:25 PM

404 posts, read 597,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
More info on the subject. Just wondering if you missed this thread that has been hashed and rehashed.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/misso...idwestern.html
I know all about this thread, but I don't see Missouri get brought up in southern discussions, so it stays midwest to me. Except the bootheel maybe.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
I know all about this thread, but I don't see Missouri get brought up in southern discussions, so it stays midwest to me. Except the bootheel maybe.
There ya go!
No maybes about the Bootheel, that part of the state is southern for sure!

Old 04-20-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
There ya go!
No maybes about the Bootheel, that part of the state is southern for sure!
So we've come to an agreement. Swell.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
So we've come to an agreement. Swell.
you say that like its a bad thing......

Old 04-20-2010, 10:07 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,884,470 times
I lived in Clinton (about an hour's drive SE of KC) for ten years (twenty if you count the ten additional years my parents lived there when I was in grad school, etc. - I visited them very regularly during this period). As someone who'd just spent the last five years of her life in dialectally neutral (or "General American") Omaha, Nebraska, I was shocked, shocked, shocked by the Upland/Mountain Southern accent that was the norm in Clinton - and still is, AFAIK. Upland/Mountain Southern cultural elements were everywhere, as well. This shouldn't be surprising, since the majority of the original settlers to the area were from Kentucky, Tennessee, western (now West) Virginia, and North Carolina (in that order, too, IIRC).

I've noticed a trend amongst those of you who deny Missouri's (yes, the whole state's - not just the Ozark Plateau's) Southern qualities - you all (I'm intentionally using the most prevalent second-person plural pronoun found in MO, here ) seem to see Southern-ness as a bad thing. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Add: KC and St. Louis are anomalies, but I'm not going to get into all of that in this post (I should've been sleeping hours ago).

In any case, I ♥ Missouri and soooo miss living there. To the poster who said she was transferring to MU - you'll love it! Columbia was a sort of Shangri-La of fun (innocent fun, that is - bike rides, hiking, shopping, dining out, chatting philosophically, etc.) during the seven-ish years I lived there. *sigh*

Oh, and to the poster who brought up Rush Limbaugh - I'm no Rush Limbaugh fan, but I am a linguist (of sorts), so his 'lack of accent' (if you will) always intrigued me. Then I saw a clip of his mother, who sounded essentially like someone from Clinton, MO. I can only assume that his present speaking style is *not* the way he talked as a kid (or possibly even teen) - he is a professional broadcaster, after all.

Last edited by Alicia Bradley; 04-20-2010 at 10:22 PM..

Old 04-20-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
you say that like its a bad thing......
No I think it's a good thing....not a bad thing. Note I've never been to the bootheel I heard dey crazy n that thang.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri