Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 10:53 AM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by syl77dar View Post
Hello! We can help each other! I need alot more information about St. Louis please? We are relocating due to a new job in Bridgeton, MO. I do not believe Bridgeton, MO is a safe area to live in. We are relocating from the Kansas City area, I was born and raised here! I would advise you not to move to Independence or Blue Springs, MO. The best places in the Kansas City area to live are: either in Cameron, MO; Kearney, MO; Lees Summit, MO or on the Kansas side in Overland Park, Springhill, Olathe, KS and all of these places have excellent schools. Other good places in Kansas City are Grain Valley, MO and Oak Grove, MO and Bates City, MO. Do not move to Independence or Blue Springs the crime rates and schools suck bad here! We are leaving from Blue Springs, MO the crimes here are going up way too much and the schools here are terrible! Up until 9th grade they are okay, but after middle school, the freshman center is an horrendous excuse for a school district! All 5 middle schools pour out into one freshman center. It is an old elementary school which is way to small for freshmen and there are approximately 300-600 students in it everyday! It is way too small for so many changing adolescent teenages with raging hormones! I have known several teenagers whom attended this FRESHMEN CENTER only to come out as aggressive, upset and angry teenagers since bullies run this school! It is the absolute worse excuse for a SCHOOL Districts excuse for not enough room for freshman at the high schools! I have a son and my best friends' daughters who attended this joke school and they were achieving 4.0 and came out with 4.0 only years later to let their grades slip to 3.8 when they realized the school personnel did not care about students! As you can tell I would never allow my children to attend this school or high school again! Recently the Freshman center busted a student who had threatened a Columbine situation and was set to carry it out!
Wow, it seems like you have had a bad experience in terms of school quality in the Independence and Blue Springs area. Your city recommendations are good, but you included smaller towns that are EXTREMELY far removed from a lot of the metro area. Cameron and Kearney are both rural towns that are further removed from the metro. Bates City is located way far to the south of the KC metro, and I would not recommend Spring Hill because a lot of the houses look like they are very cheaply constructed. I am not even going list all of the things I dislike about Olathe/Gardner. Lets just say that this area has a lot of EXTREMELY CONSERVATIVE people. Olathe also loves to fill up all available land with big box stores and horribly ugly cookie cutter houses.
Some of the suburban areas I like in the KC metro include: Overland Park, Prairie Village, Leawood, Lenexa, Shawnee, Belton, Lee's Summit, and Liberty. I like established "mature" cities with tree-lined neighborhoods with sidewalks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 07:45 PM

3 posts, read 29,510 times
St. Louis the best place to live? You must be joking .........

Old 06-06-2007, 06:15 PM

115 posts, read 481,675 times
Red face Give Hermann a look

Quote:
Originally Posted by p. Horsager View Post
My husband is being transfered to missouri. Neither of us have ever been yet and would like to know where is a good place to raise a family. Need to be within reasonable distance to airport for weekly commuting. Of course we want good schools,low crime, parks and shopping. Comming from AZ I would love to find a place that has trees and is beautiful, maybe lakes or rivers near. Don't mind being a little rural. Is the whole state really as hot and humid in the summer and cold in the winter as I hear? Home price range is approx. 300-350K if that helps.
I'm surprised that no one mentioned Hermann as being a good choice. Fantastic little river town with quite a bit of charm. Plenty of history and interesting old German architecture. It has several wineries, good restaurants, and many bed and breakfasts that cater to the tourist crowd...but would be even easier to appreciate if you lived there. There's minimal, to negligible crime. Schools are good, and the new high school was just finished several years ago. If you have any boys they might be interested to know that they just opened the new football field and it has that new artificial field turf, which is kind of neat. There is a nice city park, and later this fall when the new bridge over the Missouri River is complete, there will be a bike trail connecting Hermann with the KATY trail. Shopping is pretty easy with Warrenton Outlet Mall probably only 20 minutes away. The town also just opened up an outdoor amphitheater that I'm sure they'll get some good use out of. It's probably an hour to an hour and a half to the airport in St. Louis. Still humid, but I think anywhere in Missouri would be. You'd be selling yourself short to not give Hermann a hard look. Check out some of the pics on this webpage.

Historic Hermann, MO, Heart of Missouri Wine Country

Last edited by goodvedderbest; 06-06-2007 at 06:45 PM.. Reason: link messed up

Old 06-06-2007, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 25,183 times
Smile Qulin Missouri

Ok Lets here it for the little towns. Qulin is a very small and quiet town. We are located just 15 minutes from Poplar Bluff and about 2-3 hours from St Louis Mo, and Lambert Airport.Qulin does not have alot to offer as far as jobs, shopping and such. But the people here are Very friendly!!! The schools in this area are great and the average home prices are about 61K. The crime rate here is not high at all. My husband and I just bought our new home here in Qulin and WE ARE SURE GLAD WE DID!!!!!!!!

Old 06-07-2007, 08:42 AM

592 posts, read 2,135,928 times
I would just be ready for a reality check. There are a LOT of bitter people in this state...particularly in St. Joe.

It's not called the "Show Me" state for nothing.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:48 PM

62 posts, read 249,251 times
If you love the hustle bustle of big cities, then St. Louis is the best. My sister lives there and works in the St. Charles high school district. Springfield is an awesome place to live with great schools in and around Springfield. The airport is at the northwest edge of the city with easy access. Silver Dollar City is only 45 minutes away for entertainment. Springfield has a nice mall for shopping, too! Check us out!

Old 06-29-2007, 07:11 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,563,885 times
See The Ozarks Chronicle blog about a new book listing Rolla as one of the top 101 best places to live. Rolla also ranks high among small towns with college campuses.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:12 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,636,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb62676 View Post
I would just be ready for a reality check. There are a LOT of bitter people in this state...particularly in St. Joe.

It's not called the "Show Me" state for nothing.
dang! Sounds like some personal issues hit ya upside the head when you were looking the other way. Bummer but good luck where ever you wind up Hope the brown grass turns green for ya!

Old 07-23-2007, 01:22 PM

2 posts, read 49,631 times
Default St. Charles County, O'Fallon, Missouri GREAT places to live

I was born and raised in St. Charles, Missouri and we've raised 4 children here. It's a great place to live, raise kids and you will find all you need. O'Fallon was just voted by CNN as one of the "TOP TEN" desirable places to live in the United States. I live in the next town, and O'Fallon, St. Peters, Wentzville (all in St. Charles County) are exceptional places to live, and all just off Interstate 70. Check it out...you'll be glad you did!

Old 07-23-2007, 01:35 PM

2 posts, read 49,631 times
Default Bridgeton is okay to live!

I've lived near this area all 53 years of my life, and Bridgeton is not a bad place to live. There are many families and areas near Bridgeton (Maryland Heights, St. Charles, O'Fallon.) I don't know where you heard this, but check it out and know from me, it's a great place to live and raise a family. St. Charles County is even better and housing is much less in St. Charles over St. Louis County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri