Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2007, 08:44 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,969,247 times

Advertisements

I hope all the helpful people from Missouri are doing well after the recent storms. From what I've seen on TV and in the online Missouri papers it looks like a mess.

That brings up a question for me. Is it uncommon for people in the area to build their homes with built-in backup generators and automatic transfer switches on them, not those cheap construction gensets but the better Onan types? I understand that renters or people with lower income wouldn't have them, but it seems that there'd be more people who could power their homes through messes like the recent ones.

Is there something that I'm missing? Is there some reason why gensets wouldn't be more common, since ice storms and power outages are common enough in the region, or do people have them but prepared homeowners just don't make good news reporting?

Again, I hope y'all are getting your lives back in order. Good luck!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2007, 07:01 AM

2,815 posts, read 13,023,453 times
Built-in generators...haven't seen them. Keep in mind though that storms like we just had are extremely rare in that intensity. The last time power was knocked out so badly was in 1986, and this storm was worse. What people use are portable generators and they're actually more useful, but you don't connect them to the house as you can electrocute the power company workers with electrical feedback when they think a line is dead. Instead, you simply run power cables to the appliances and lighting you want to light up, like pellet stoves, refrigerators, lighting, television, sump pumps, etc. That way if the power comes back on from the electric company, you don't interfere or endanger the workers and it has no effect on the appliances that you have plugged into the generator.
Plus, with generators, you can move them around and use them for various purposes. So considering the costs involved and the rarity of using and needing them, a portable is far more convenient and cost effective.
Ice storms happen yes, but rarely bad enough to cut power and destroy trees. This was an exception....a terrible exception.

Old 01-20-2007, 04:35 PM

65 posts, read 391,221 times
Default agree

I would have to agree with Mark, this is indeed an exception to the rule of what our weather is usually like.

I was able to go back to my house after 6 days and still havent done the grocery shopping yet to replenish the fridge.

Old 01-20-2007, 05:01 PM

Thanks guys. Even if it's somewhat rare, it's one thing we'll have to negotiate into a house purchase/construction.

With the more severe weather in the area, I'm surprised people haven't put them on their homes. There's no need to manually disconnet from the street since there's a transfer swtich. It does the whole thing, disconnect from the grid and power the house, just like in hospitals, police stations, or even in RV's.

After living through a few natural disasters, even though they're rare, we've found a whole house generator very useful. We put our first one on the side of the house in 1992. It's that one time in ten years that made it all worthwhile.

Old 01-21-2007, 11:40 AM

184 posts, read 1,216,349 times
I like this idea. Maybe some enterprising company will start touting them at the Home and Garden shows.

Old 01-21-2007, 05:12 PM

They're already available. Cummins service centers often carry them under the Onan brand name. They have them in different sizes made for business and home use, not just the smaller ones for common RV use. Just go to http://www.cummins.com/ and use the drop down menu for "home standby generators." I think Generac also makes similar ones for home use.

Fuel sources can be gas, diesel, or propane and they're set on a concrete pad outside the house, usually next to the power panel. They're wired in through an automatic switch box, if you don't want to deal with a manual switch, and they will power everything up to their watt rating. If you get a small one, you just need to be judicious on the various things you run at the same time.

The downside is that you may be the only house on the street with lights. It will attract everyone, which is fine because it's nice to help out your neighbors, but it will also bring your property to the attention of people you may not want around.

Old 01-23-2007, 02:47 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,333,428 times
These seem to be showing up on the higher end houses. Those that want everything. I think they are a great idea. I saw a setup like you mention at Home Depot once. They can get them most likely. If i were building a new home i would go for it. About 6 yrs ago they were about $5200.00 for a deluxe unit to take care of about a 5000 sq ft home
My self at home i use natural gas and have a stove i can setup in a flash should the electric go south. You could also use a vent less stove(be sure to follow the directions!!!!!!!!!OR YOU MIGHT WAKE UP DEAD!!!) With the house properly vented you can dress a little warmer and be just fine without freezing your pipes. When you have heat then you can get by for the couple of days without electric and use a small cooler for food. DO NOT!!! heat your home by using your gas range. Should you plan any of these methods be sure you have several carbon dioxide detectors around. The ventless stoves have one on them but do not trust just one! THINK SAFTEY FIRST!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-25-2007, 05:12 AM

2 posts, read 4,724 times
Hey Garth it was kind of weird to see your post today. My best friend is building a new house and my mother asked me if my friend was going to have one of the generators that is build in put in. I did not know what she was talking about. She said my dad found them on the internet for around $4,000.
Said that about once a month they will turn themselves on to make sure they are working and when the power goes off they come on. The ones he was looking at ran on propane. I don't know much more than that, but I am going to have my friend look at them it would be worth the money in the long run. Although we don't have a ice storm like this every year, but from time to time the power does go out. I believe the site was peakpower.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri