Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 12:47 PM

37 posts, read 45,007 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

My family and I are looking to relocate from Texas. We have done extensive research on Alaska, it was too expensive and Wyoming,it was too cold and now we are on to Missouri.

A lot of our decision on location is based on Constitutional carry laws and Homeschool regulations then of course COL, proximity to nature; ease of hunting and fishing, and population density (we really don't want to be in a big city)

We are planning a trip next month to travel from Texas through Arkansas up to Missouri and we would loop back around through Colorado and New mexico before coming back. The purpose of the trip is to expose our 4 kiddos to snow as well as stay in Missouri a bit, look around see what we like.

My question is how to best use our time in Missouri to get the most authentic experience not just tourist stuff. We'd like to look at real estate offered with acreage, try out popular restaurants and just go into a wal mart and see if the people are friendly.

Also what area should my husband be looking at employment? I am sure some towns are more booming than others he works in the I&E industry as an electrical inspector. He has been keeping an eye out on INDEED and another website and has seen jobs but we just do not know the area.

One last question; Crime. In my research on Missouri, crime keeps coming up, is it really that prevalent in the state?

Thank you. I appreciate all replies.

Laura
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 01:53 PM

16,151 posts, read 10,830,330 times
You didn't say when you are visiting. This would be a good time to go hiking in the Ozarks. The snakes are probably hibernating and the tick-infested woods will be more tolerable. The leaves are off the trees so you can penetrate a little easier. I always enjoyed hiking in Lake of the Ozarks State Park in the winter because of the vistas over the lake and I could see the winter birds and hawks. That's probably true at other parks as well. The Ozarks are similar to the Hill Country but a little wetter and greener. Northern Missouri is rolling hills or prairie and fairly empty these days. I doubt if you will see crowds this time of year. The cities are worth visiting but you probably won't be wanting to live there.

Crime is overblown on the C-D forums. It's there but largely opportunistic...unless you make a poor choice in friends or blunder into the wrong places.

Old 11-18-2018, 01:56 PM

We will be traveling December 13th to about the 23rd. Yes, The Ozarks looks so very beautiful from what I have seen in pictures and videos.

I am glad to hear that the crime is overblown for the most part.

Old 11-18-2018, 04:38 PM

What about the Ozark area?

Old 11-18-2018, 04:49 PM

3,834 posts, read 3,369,600 times
Missouri is one of the most gun friendly places in the nation.

No permit is needed in the state of Missouri to carry a concealed weapon.

Missouri is an open carry state. However, some cities have an ordinance against open carry, however if you have a ccw permit from anywhere in the country you can open carry in cities than ban open carry.

So if you want to open carry in the few places that there is an ordinance against it I would recommend getting a cheap out of state permit like from Arizona. You can then use that to open carry anywhere in Missouri.

Texas tried passing permitless carry but it didn't gain any traction.

In the border south/south the only states that are permitless concealed carry are Missouri, Mississippi, and West Virginia.

I live in Floriduh now and the gun and carry laws flat out SUCK compared to Missouri.

Missouri lawmakers respect your right to bear arms and access to them.

Also the Giffords Center (former Brady Center) on their yearly score card ranked Missouri tied for 48th with Kansas for fewest gun regulations. Only Mississippi scored better at dead last!!!

Old 11-18-2018, 07:32 PM

20,908 posts, read 9,615,239 times
Visiting in December might be a bit iffy weather-wise. If you aren't into big cities you might check out smaller ones like Rolla or maybe the Lake Ozark area. Jefferson City and Columbia might be worthwhile as well, and they're bigger so there'll be more jobs.

And of course there's Springfield and Joplin which are middling-sized cities by Missouri standards.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:44 PM

19,744 posts, read 10,180,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Missouri is one of the most gun friendly places in the nation.

No permit is needed in the state of Missouri to carry a concealed weapon.

Missouri is an open carry state. However, some cities have an ordinance against open carry, however if you have a ccw permit from anywhere in the country you can open carry in cities than ban open carry.

So if you want to open carry in the few places that there is an ordinance against it I would recommend getting a cheap out of state permit like from Arizona. You can then use that to open carry anywhere in Missouri.

Texas tried passing permitless carry but it didn't gain any traction.

In the border south/south the only states that are permitless concealed carry are Missouri, Mississippi, and West Virginia.

I live in Floriduh now and the gun and carry laws flat out SUCK compared to Missouri.

Missouri lawmakers respect your right to bear arms and access to them.

Also the Giffords Center (former Brady Center) on their yearly score card ranked Missouri tied for 48th with Kansas for fewest gun regulations. Only Mississippi scored better at dead last!!!
You can open carry in Missouri and not worry if you cross over into Kansas, it is legal there too. Most of the crime in Missouri is in the KC and St Louis area. I live in sw Mo. and we have had one gun homicide in the county in the last 10 years. Joplin is a pretty safe area with a lot of jobs, too.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:52 PM

3,834 posts, read 3,369,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
You can open carry in Missouri and not worry if you cross over into Kansas, it is legal there too. Most of the crime in Missouri is in the KC and St Louis area. I live in sw Mo. and we have had one gun homicide in the county in the last 10 years. Joplin is a pretty safe area with a lot of jobs, too.
Yea, forgot about Kansas. Very similar to Missouri.

Also, don't forget about Arkansas too. Their Supreme Court just ruled in AR you don't need a permit to open or conceal carry.

Oklahoma passed it but their RINO governor vetoed it and their lawmakers did not attempt a veto override unlike in Missouri where they shoved it up Nixon's arse.

Missouri gun laws are also better than Texas as well.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:22 PM

16,151 posts, read 10,830,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1corinth13 View Post
What about the Ozark area?
Ozark, the city? It's a decent sized town near Springfield. I have retired friends living there who like it. They are somewhat vocal right-wing politically and seem to fit in. I've been there a long time ago but can't speak to the current development.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:41 PM

685 posts, read 773,051 times
SW MO sounds like a good fit. I lived in Newton County, just south of Joplin. Quality of life was good, as long as you can accept the caveats of lower wages. Crime is not an issue as long as you avoid those involved with methamphetamine and prescription drugs.

It is a beautiful area and well connected with I-44 and I-49. I remember there being a popular public firearms range near Neosho, and several private ranges around Joplin. And of course, Joplin is essentially in the Walmart Homeland, with Bentonville less than an hour away. Light manufacturing is a common industry in the area, so there may be some I&E prospects there.

If I was you, I would focus on Springfield and Joplin, loop up I-44 to StL, and then out on I-70 through KC. Your employment prospects will be much better in StL and KC, as they dominate manufacturing and shipping in the state. The employment situation was why I ultimately moved to StL for more professional opportunity. Thus, StL and KC are worth touring. And St. Charles is the fastest growing area in Missouri. Also worth touring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri