Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2009, 12:09 PM

4 posts, read 21,296 times

Advertisements

We are relocating in order for my hubby to accept a job in Memphis, TN at Nucor. We currently live in Northeast Texas outside the city limits of a very small town called Hooks. We have 2 children, 9 yrs and 15 yrs, and I guess you could call us country hicks, we love living in the country.

Have been looking at Byhalia,MS. Would like to rent or lease or rent/lease to own. Anyone know of anything in Byhalia or around that area in North Mississippi? Trying not to have to pay a huge rent each month, would like maybe an acre or so land cause my kids have doggies.

Any help would be great. Need to get up there pretty quick, no longer than a month(Nucor has offered temp housing for 2-3weeks)

HELP! We need a new place to call Home!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 01:54 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,871 times
I haven't been to Byhalia proper but I've been in the area. It's too far from civilization for me. I suggest that you take the time when you are in the temp housing to explore the area. Also look at locations south of Hernando and in the Coldwater area. Most of the growth is on the north side of Desoto county and along I-55. The rest is just farm land and woods.

-Robert

Old 08-28-2009, 06:09 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,108,704 times
Hernando is your best bet. Beautiful town, nice schools, plenty of countryside down towards Arkabutla Lake. 15 minutes south of there down I-55 is Senatobia, a smaller but also pretty nice town with a community college, Mayberry-esque feel, and with fairly well regarded schools. The best schools are in DeSoto County and to some degree Tate County.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:21 PM

Thanks Robert, Yeah I am planning to look while in temp housing. Actually I asked them about temp housing for that reason. I have been looking on the internet alot, but still too hard to do from way down here. Seems like all I find on the internet or thru realtors are properties that are just way too much.
You are not much for country living? Oh we love it. Right now we live down in the farm/bottoms land of the Red River - We are TX and go across river to other bank and you are in OK. our kids are always fishing, exploring, walking, riding bikes - always outside doing something.

If you run across or here of any housing out in the country for rent or lease to own or similiar, please send me the info.

Shelly

Old 08-28-2009, 06:46 PM

783 posts, read 2,257,268 times
Shell, my experience (I bought a new house in jan and sold my old place in april) is that realtors down here are very regional. All you are likely to find in those big listings are the most high priced properties. Sometimes you won't even find the best listings listed - you have to call the realtor and ask if they have anything new or perhaps they haven't yet been able to list or market.

I'd suggest looking closely at the region. Get some town names and look up the realtors via whitepages, then see if they have websites or just call and ask. It sounds like a lot of work, but I'm sure happy the way mine turned out (bought a 100 year old foreclosure for two grand more than I paid for my used Dodge Magnum!)

Those big realtors want big money. You're not going to find the most affordable listings easily because they don't want to waste time with them. My realtor probably made less than 500 dollars on my new house - she made more on the one I sold, though

Old 08-28-2009, 07:00 PM

Wow, that setting by the Red River sounds beautiful. After reading your description, an area that is truly "country", with reasonably good schools and probably 20 minutes south of Byhalia in eastern Tate County is the community of Independence, Mississippi. That's pretty nice countryside, tons of land all around. Even closer to your description (near the river) would be finding something in DeSoto County, south of Hernando and near Arkabutla Lake. I wouldn't mind living around there myself.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:11 PM

Man am I glad that I stumbled upon this forum. Ya'll are an endless supply of help and suggestions. This is the most (and best) information that I have received from anyone yet.

Great,Useful info about the realtors. To be honest I have not ever done anything like this. My hubby and I inherited our current mobile home, moved it to family owned land, and added more rooms onto it, so I am lost.
At this point all that I am sure of is that I am going crazy, all I find are really expensive homes to buy or homes that are $900 to $1800 rent per month.

I am so scared that we will get up there and into the company provided temp apartment, stay the 2-3 weeks they allow, and then not be able to find anything at all that we can afford to get except maybe an apartment or something, my kids would suffocate (and so would we).

Keep the comments and suggestions coming. I will take all the help I can get. And if anyone out there happens to drive by,hear about, or see in their newspaper classifieds any country living property that is for rent, rent/lease to own, or owner finance send me the info. In the meantime, I will be checking out and taking advantage of some of ya'lls suggestions.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:22 PM

Yes, you should probably contact realtors in Hernando, Senatobia, or Olive Branch for some guidance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi