Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 01:39 AM

191 posts, read 242,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
What do you think of this case? It happened in NY and its similar to the Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman case controversy. A person got acquitted after killing a 16 year old teen high school honor student, who was suspiciously up to something in the neighborhood:

Jury Finds Roderick Scott Not Guilty Rochester, NY - YouTube
Well for one thing, coming home from the store at 7 p.m. isn't a crime, but breaking into cars at 3 a.m. is. It's really not a good comparison.
I think that people should let the cops handle these type of situations instead of being billy bada$$ because they have a gun.

I'm not going to get into a back and forth about the Martin case. People continue to ignore the sworn testimony of Jeantel that stated that Zimmerman started the altercation. And the neighbor that testified that the screams were that of a young boy but people will continue to say that he got what he deserved so there's no point in arguing about it. Zimmerman is continuing to prove himself to be a psycho and will probably be dead or in jail within a yr, so there's really nothing more to say about it. I just have a problem with people slandering this kid's name and he's dead because some guy wouldn't follow the directions that were given to him.It's like, do you people have any respect? Nobody should be followed by car like that and then on foot by the same person........and the kid wasn't even allowed to defend himself because he got a bullet in the chest for his trouble.

And what do you mean that Emmett Till should've been arrested?

Last edited by guestJ23; 12-04-2013 at 02:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 06:54 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Emmet Till was aware that he was part of a percieved inferior race. Many African Americans and blacks knew, however the South was just a mother****ing racist place PERIOD.

Emmet Till was technically mixed race, and he had white ancestry. The problem was that Emmet Till was a threat and harassing an individual, and they reacted with alarm and self defense when they killed Till. It was crazy though that he died. They should have just arrested Emmet Till.
Actually, making a pass at a woman, while very impolite, is not a crime worth arresting for. Till wasn't polite, however, an arrest? He made a pass at her, but apart from that, he didn't threaten her. Being stupid, perhaps, but an arrest? Killing him was going beyond the extreme. And here is another question. If a White teenage male had made a pass at a White woman, would he have even gotten so much as an arrest?

Old 12-04-2013, 09:56 AM

772 posts, read 1,000,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Thanks for linking to this! I hadn't heard of it. Again, a kid apparently living down to an ethnic stereotype (even though Cervini is considered a noble surname, from Firenze/Florence), shot by a very large black man (if we're comparing this to the 'Trayvon Case', George Zimmerman is Afro-Peruvian), whom he was reportedly in the process of attacking.

If Cervini and his friends were, indeed, breaking into cars, then I say good riddance of bad rubbish! Thank you, Roderick Scott, for ridding the world of that thing, before it could breed. The cost to society, had the creature lived, would have been astronomical - particularly when one considers that it might have had descendants.

Again, thank you Roderick Scott! You're a hero.
Are you condoning murder?

Old 12-04-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Emmet Till was aware that he was part of a percieved inferior race. Many African Americans and blacks knew, however the South was just a mother****ing racist place PERIOD.

Emmet Till was technically mixed race, and he had white ancestry. The problem was that Emmet Till was a threat and harassing an individual, and they reacted with alarm and self defense when they killed Till. It was crazy though that he died. They should have just arrested Emmet Till.
There's nothing illegal about making a pass at someone ... They did what they did because he was Black. If it had been a White boy, I guarantee you the boy would've just gotten roughed up a little bit, but not killed. Heck, Mrs. Bryant may have never even told her husband if the kid had been White!

Old 12-04-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zblanton1 View Post
There's nothing illegal about making a pass at someone ... They did what they did because he was Black. If it had been a White boy, I guarantee you the boy would've just gotten roughed up a little bit, but not killed. Heck, Mrs. Bryant may have never even told her husband if the kid had been White!
Thank you!! Was it impolite of Emmett Till to make a pass at a woman? Yes. However, consider this. Black people were being subjected to so much worse than "someone making a pass at them", and often with no consequences. What Emmett Till's death symbolizes is the virulent and violence racism that was ever-present in the 1950s.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:12 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,324,953 times
How do any of you know what actually happened other than he was killed? I mean I heard someone say that he whistled at a white woman, I have heard that he was making a pass at one, and even that he was being aggressive towards her. All of you know that he could have been staring at her for a second to long which caused some white men to get in a uproar and have an excuse to murder that young man.

I'm starting to see the comparisions to the Trayvon case. Young black male and was "out of control" and was killed. After his death the tongues began to wag about how immoral that he was and it soon became "understandable why it all happened.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
How do any of you know what actually happened other than he was killed? I mean I heard someone say that he whistled at a white woman, I have heard that he was making a pass at one, and even that he was being aggressive towards her. All of you know that he could have been staring at her for a second to long which caused some white men to get in a uproar and have an excuse to murder that young man.

I'm starting to see the comparisions to the Trayvon case. Young black male and was "out of control" and was killed. After his death the tongues began to wag about how immoral that he was and it soon became "understandable why it all happened.
And in my opinion, alot of this goes back to Blacks being looked down on and being viewed as worthless. I feel that it goes back to some people viewing a Black person's life as being worth less than anyone else's life.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post

Once again, Emmett Till does NOT need to be grouped with Trayvon Martin. Trayvon Martin was a thug, Emmett Till was just an innocent young African-American man visiting from Chicago with no knowledge of how truly horrible conditions for African-Americans were in the Deep South at that time. The official story is that Till whistled at Carolyn Bryant, who proceeded to tell her husband that night.

Mr. Bryant was so enraged by this that he and his buddy went to Till's uncle's house and kidnapped Till. They took him out to Drew, Mississippi where he was beaten and tortured and presumably killed here.

They then drove out to Glendora, Mississippi where Till's body was dumped into the river with his body tied down by a big industrial fan. Till's body was later found badly beaten and scarred.

Mrs. Till decided to have an open casket funeral just to show people across the country how out of hand things were getting between Caucasians and African-Americans.

The photos that later surfaced of Emmett Till's body sparked everything from Rosa Parks sitting at the front of a bus in Montgomery, Alabama all the way to MLK Jr.'s March on Washington in D.C. in the 1960s, to the passing of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 by President Lyndon B. Johnson.

Emmett Till ignited a MOVEMENT, a movement that made history.

Comparing Till to Trayvon Martin is like comparing a beetle bug to a whale ... Nothing alike and are two completely different things.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:48 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,324,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zblanton1 View Post
Once again, Emmett Till does NOT need to be grouped with Trayvon Martin. Trayvon Martin was a thug, Emmett Till was just an innocent young African-American man visiting from Chicago with no knowledge of how truly horrible conditions for African-Americans were in the Deep South at that time. The official story is that Till whistled at Carolyn Bryant, who proceeded to tell her husband that night.

Mr. Bryant was so enraged by this that he and his buddy went to Till's uncle's house and kidnapped Till. They took him out to Drew, Mississippi where he was beaten and tortured and presumably killed here.

They then drove out to Glendora, Mississippi where Till's body was dumped into the river with his body tied down by a big industrial fan. Till's body was later found badly beaten and scarred.

Mrs. Till decided to have an open casket funeral just to show people across the country how out of hand things were getting between Caucasians and African-Americans.

The photos that later surfaced of Emmett Till's body sparked everything from Rosa Parks sitting at the front of a bus in Montgomery, Alabama all the way to MLK Jr.'s March on Washington in D.C. in the 1960s, to the passing of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 by President Lyndon B. Johnson.

Emmett Till ignited a MOVEMENT, a movement that made history.

Comparing Till to Trayvon Martin is like comparing a beetle bug to a whale ... Nothing alike and are two completely different things.

The comparison lies with the disrespect that was given to Trayvon after his death, just like you just did. Your definition of "thug" and what he actually was are two different things considering the real story was buried behind a liar with anger issues with a half decent lawyers and a misinformed jury.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:50 PM

I have no problem with having a marker to honor Emmett Till. For me, this is the question: Why SHOULDN'T he be honored?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi