Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2011, 04:42 PM

148 posts, read 234,413 times

Advertisements

What areas of Mississippi are not dominated by chains/big box stores, but instead have a variety of thriving independent businesses to choose from? Areas where people don't get excited to go out to Applebee's on a Friday night or Target on a Saturday afternoon, but instead go and support businesses that can't be found anywhere else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 06:56 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,110,528 times
Bay St. Louis

Old 12-12-2011, 06:58 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,211,477 times
WOW. Does such a place exist anymore? While I hope so... I find it doubtful. What you describe is from the 1970s or early 1980s where I am. Big box stores and the internizzle have pretty much eliminated the Norman Rockwell lifestyle.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:12 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,584,657 times
Yes, unfortunately big chains now set up shop in places they never would have 25 years ago. Remember when Walgreens was only in metro areas? Now there is one in just about every town of at least 7,000 people.

The place I am from, Batesville, has a Lowe's, Chili's, Cracker Barrel, Walgreens, Tractor Supply, and up until Starbucks closed hundreds of stores it had a Starbucks. The population is only about 8,000.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:47 AM

557 posts, read 1,675,668 times
Columbus has the standard Lowe's, Wal Mart, and a few chain restaurants, but it also has a thriving downtown with lots of unique stores; there are also several nice local hardware and building supply stores and numerous non-chain restaurants.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:31 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,245,351 times
Quite a few small Mississippi towns have revitalized downtowns like what you described. Maybe not all are "thriving", but they are at least "active". The problem is to find the little gems, that are often hidden by the big-box shopping centers located out on the highways.

Columbia, MS (Marion County, several miles west of Hattiesburg) for example. I cannot say enough good things about the Back Door Cafe ("Sunday best" to casual dress, serving a mix of southern and contemporary dishes, all of which are excellent). Then there's locally owned Hill Hardware, a landmark. Lots of locally owned stores, just park (old-style on-street diagonal parking) on Main St just north of the courthouse and stroll. My ex-wife's aunt (a dear old lady who could give Emily Post a run for her money) recently retired as the librarian after 50 years and still leads children's reading groups.

Then there's the Courthouse Square in Kosciusko. With Pickle's Drug Store, Cafe on the Square, and many other locally owned stores including florists and furniture stores.

Both of these towns (and I could name others, including already mentioned Columbus, Starkville, Oxford, etc.) have their share of big-box-blight, but the old-town vibe is still there if you bother to look.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:51 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,584,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Quite a few small Mississippi towns have revitalized downtowns like what you described. Maybe not all are "thriving", but they are at least "active". The problem is to find the little gems, that are often hidden by the big-box shopping centers located out on the highways.

Columbia, MS (Marion County, several miles west of Hattiesburg) for example. I cannot say enough good things about the Back Door Cafe ("Sunday best" to casual dress, serving a mix of southern and contemporary dishes, all of which are excellent). Then there's locally owned Hill Hardware, a landmark. Lots of locally owned stores, just park (old-style on-street diagonal parking) on Main St just north of the courthouse and stroll. My ex-wife's aunt (a dear old lady who could give Emily Post a run for her money) recently retired as the librarian after 50 years and still leads children's reading groups.

Then there's the Courthouse Square in Kosciusko. With Pickle's Drug Store, Cafe on the Square, and many other locally owned stores including florists and furniture stores.

Both of these towns (and I could name others, including already mentioned Columbus, Starkville, Oxford, etc.) have their share of big-box-blight, but the old-town vibe is still there if you bother to look.
Ya, I didn't mean to imply that locally owned business was gone completely due to the big chains, rather they are fewer and farther between.

Towns such as Oxford that have an active square with locally owned businesses are great.

Batesville, while nowhere near the status of Oxford has invested in it's downtown with a farmers market, murals on buildings, support of local business such as Tavern on the Square, Flints Hardware, and others.

I like to see small business flourish, not only to help locals make a living and keep money in the community, but to add character to the community.

I agree that you wouldn't know about many of these places unless you got away from the interstate/main highway.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:35 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,423,197 times
After taking a huge blow, I feel like the central downtown area of Natchez is making a comeback a bit with such independent businesses... whether that lasts or not is debatable.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:19 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times
There are always small, local businesses to frequent. I rarely go to the national chain restaurants. I will go to local chains in the area like Hueys (started in Memphis), McAllisters (started in Oxford), Newk's Deli (same folks started McAllisters), Avellinos (only in Southaven) and La Hacienda (4 restaurants in this area).

I always try to get groceries locally when it is affordable. Same with any other product. But sometimes Wal-Mart and Lowes can't be beaten.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:56 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,423,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
There are always small, local businesses to frequent. I rarely go to the national chain restaurants. I will go to local chains in the area like Hueys (started in Memphis), McAllisters (started in Oxford), Newk's Deli (same folks started McAllisters), Avellinos (only in Southaven) and La Hacienda (4 restaurants in this area).

I always try to get groceries locally when it is affordable. Same with any other product. But sometimes Wal-Mart and Lowes can't be beaten.
FWIW... McAllisters is spreading like wildfire... they're all over the Louisville metro and southern Indiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi