Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2010, 01:02 AM

2,955 posts, read 5,250,975 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I posted about this issue on the Madison, Wis., forum this week.

I was born in St. Paul in 1960, but moved at age 6. Visited the TC/Duluth in May '99 for a few days. As a result, I know (and have read here and heard elsewhere) that many Mpls. neighborhoods are affected (pounded?) by airport noise pollution. I even noticed it on Grand Ave. in St. Paul in the supermarket parking lot.

Would most of St. Paul be less impacted than d/t Mpls. neighborhoods? Of course, I know to stay away from parts of Richfield, Bloomington. ßt. Louis Park, Edina, etc.

One post from an older thread complained how your airport has ruined established d/t neighborhoods.

I do remember hearing major plane noise while walking around Lake Harriett. Unfortunate.

As I said in my Madison post, I realize this is a non-issue for many (even silly and unreasonable), but it's important to me.

Hmm...will Target Field have issues with noise (hopefully unlike the old Shea Stadium in Queens!).

Thanks for reading.
`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 08:38 PM

35 posts, read 121,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Hi,

I posted about this issue on the Madison, Wis., forum this week.

I was born in St. Paul in 1960, but moved at age 6. Visited the TC/Duluth in May '99 for a few days. As a result, I know (and have read here and heard elsewhere) that many Mpls. neighborhoods are affected (pounded?) by airport noise pollution. I even noticed it on Grand Ave. in St. Paul in the supermarket parking lot.

Would most of St. Paul be less impacted than d/t Mpls. neighborhoods? Of course, I know to stay away from parts of Richfield, Bloomington. ßt. Louis Park, Edina, etc.

One post from an older thread complained how your airport has ruined established d/t neighborhoods.

I do remember hearing major plane noise while walking around Lake Harriett. Unfortunate.

As I said in my Madison post, I realize this is a non-issue for many (even silly and unreasonable), but it's important to me.

Hmm...will Target Field have issues with noise (hopefully unlike the old Shea Stadium in Queens!).

Thanks for reading.
`
It shouldn't be too bad with noise. Some traffic will be on the parallel runways 12L & 12R. Both SE Runways. They should be a couple miles from the stadium. A few will tend to get vectored over downtown. On very rare occasion they will be over downtown. When landing south on runway 17. This will only happen when one of the parallel runways is closed. The traffic over St. Paul is very rare. It happend a lot last summer but shouldn't be anytime again soon except on very windy days out of the SSW.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:21 AM

138 posts, read 372,646 times
I never notice airplane noise downtown. But I am usually focused on my tasks and might just tune it out.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:51 AM

540 posts, read 1,104,526 times
I live in the Loring Park area and never notice any airplane noise. You will occasionally hear helicopters though.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:37 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,762,409 times
I think you'd hear traffic from 35 and 94 before you'd hear airplanes.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:12 PM

19 posts, read 43,510 times
MSP is the 12th busiest airport in the US and the 30th busiest in the world. While it's not an airshow 24/7, air traffic is a natural occurence in any urban area. Downtown isn't big enough to have a "quieter" area, in terms of airplane noise, but as Danny said, traffic is generally much louder than planes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul