Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 05:09 PM

22 posts, read 21,175 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone:

I just started a new job in St. Paul (downtown) but have yet to relocate my family. I have a 10 year old daughter who is in the 5th grade. She has grown up in the Cedar Rapids school district of College Community which is a very good school district on a centralized campus (almost like an educational park with Kirkwood Community College across the street).

I have gotten many, many recommendations from locals regarding schools districts, but I guess I'm seeking advice from a very niche group - Is there anyone on this forum that has relocated from the Cedar Rapids area or Corridor and has school aged children in public schools in MSP? Is there one that you found was a good fit in terms of transitioning from Cedar Rapids/the Corridor?

Apologies if this is a poorly worded question...again, seeking a niche group here I guess.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 08:27 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,700,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthe213 View Post
Hi everyone:

I just started a new job in St. Paul (downtown) but have yet to relocate my family. I have a 10 year old daughter who is in the 5th grade. She has grown up in the Cedar Rapids school district of College Community which is a very good school district on a centralized campus (almost like an educational park with Kirkwood Community College across the street).

I have gotten many, many recommendations from locals regarding schools districts, but I guess I'm seeking advice from a very niche group - Is there anyone on this forum that has relocated from the Cedar Rapids area or Corridor and has school aged children in public schools in MSP? Is there one that you found was a good fit in terms of transitioning from Cedar Rapids/the Corridor?

Apologies if this is a poorly worded question...again, seeking a niche group here I guess.

Thanks in advance!
I could be wrong, but my worry is you may get 1 or 2 responses at best given the narrow request. It's not clear to me why the Cedar Rapids school district is so unique? Is there a specific aspect to that school you are trying to replicate? I'm really just trying to broaden your request so you get a better response rate.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:57 AM

4,861 posts, read 6,926,010 times
The last person I knew that relocated from Cedar Rapids to Minneapolis was Byron Buxton. Smooth transition and he makes more money in the Twin Cities.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:08 PM

22 posts, read 21,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
I could be wrong, but my worry is you may get 1 or 2 responses at best given the narrow request. It's not clear to me why the Cedar Rapids school district is so unique? Is there a specific aspect to that school you are trying to replicate? I'm really just trying to broaden your request so you get a better response rate.
Thanks for your response! I guess I am asking more about "neighborhood feel" if you will. I am overwhelmed with all the options here and there seem to be many, many good districts - but I am being pointed towards some pretty affluent and densely populated suburbs (e.g. Eden Prairie, Edina, Woodbury, Apple Valley) and we are accustomed to a more middle class/blue collar community feel.

Maybe I should have asked more about neighborhoods that Cedar Rapidians relocated to and how they like it

Sorry - this is probably a weird question. :-/

Old 09-10-2019, 09:12 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times
Quote:
Thanks for your response! I guess I am asking more about "neighborhood feel" if you will. I am overwhelmed with all the options here and there seem to be many, many good districts - but I am being pointed towards some pretty affluent and densely populated suburbs (e.g. Eden Prairie, Edina, Woodbury, Apple Valley) and we are accustomed to a more middle class/blue collar community feel.

Maybe I should have asked more about neighborhoods that Cedar Rapidians relocated to and how they like it

So your question is, “Can anyone tell me if there is an area in the Twin Cities that would be similar to the College Community school district area of Cedar Rapids?”

Old 09-11-2019, 05:44 AM

Quote:

Not knowing that portion of Cedar Rapids, below are some of the more blue collar areas of the Twin Cities with decent schools that I will still endorse.

Richfield
S. St. Paul
Oakdale
W. St. Paul
Cottage Grove
Parts of Bloomington
Roseville
Crystal
New Hope
Elko/New Market

Certainly there are many more, I just listed the ones I'm most familiar with.

Old 09-11-2019, 06:50 AM

6,552 posts, read 7,133,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Not knowing that portion of Cedar Rapids, below are some of the more blue collar areas of the Twin Cities with decent schools that I will still endorse.

Richfield
S. St. Paul
Oakdale
W. St. Paul
Cottage Grove
Parts of Bloomington
Roseville
Crystal
New Hope
Elko/New Market

Certainly there are many more, I just listed the ones I'm most familiar with.
Could add Mounds View and New Brighton to it as well, they are both in a very good school district.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:00 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,069,743 times
Quote:
Hi everyone:

Thanks in advance!
Congratulations on the new job, btw.

There are a lot of former Iowans in the Twin Cities (there are a lot of former Iowans everywhere), so there are surely those who have moved from the CR-IC Corridor and more specifically in the Prairie High School area who have relocated here. Have you tried looking at TC-based parenting forums or talking directly with various schools in your immediate area to see if they can connect you with others? Just a thought.

Old 09-11-2019, 10:36 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,139,506 times
Quote:
Hi everyone:

Thanks in advance!
I would recommend Hastings.

Old 09-11-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
I would recommend Hastings.
That's a good one. Hadn't thought of that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul