Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 04:13 PM

2,891 posts, read 2,137,886 times

Advertisements

richfield bloomington credit union membership is available to edina residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 04:35 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
If you're having difficulty disciplining you cash withdrawals, you can ask your bank to restrict the amount and frequency of your ATM withdrawals. A banker at your current bank might be a good resource for you to turn to learn some money management skills. In the long run, this would probably be better for you.

If you do decide to restrict your physical access to ATMs, there is another alternative. Place your ATM card in a plastic glass of water and put it in your freezer. If you decide to use it, you have to wait for the ice to melt, which should take several hours. By that time, any impulse to spend foolishly should have passed, but if the need us legitimate, just use your card and then refreeze it.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:40 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,060,613 times
I've been with many banks and credit unions, and am currently with USBank and love them for no particular reason. Can't explain it, but I can't stand TCF and was with Wells Fargo before I was with USBank.

Since you just want it for bills you probably won't be direct depositing into it, so many places these days, mainly big banks, require a direct deposit, or such as Wells Fargo you waive the monthly fee if you use your debit card 10 times. So you'll want something with free checking that requires no direct deposit or use debit card X amount of times per month.

All sorts of credit unions, here are just some, and all are completely free I believe and don't require direct deposit or anything to waive monthly fees.
All just require you to live in the Twin Cities to qualify to join, besides Affinity Plus where you'll need to pay $25 if you don't meet any of their other qualifications
Affinity Plus affinityplus.org
US Federal USfed.org
Starchoice https://www.starchoicecu.org/ASP/home.asp
Wings Financial
Trustone
Spire Credit Unio
HiWay credit union
Topline Credit Union
Royal Credit Union

As for Banks, Bremer has free checking that requires no direct deposit to avoid monthly fees. Other than that and TCF (which you said you weren't interested) most of the banks that have truly free checking are small local or community banks, and I don't know what Edina has for small, non chain banks. Even lots of small community banks and smaller banks started charging monthly fees, such as MidCountry Bank www.midcountrybank.com which is one I banked with for quite a few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
Ally or CapitalOne 360. Online only. so when they send you an ATM card, shred it and there is no way for you to take out cash because they have no physical locations. You could effectively do the same thing with Chase as they have no locations anywhere in Minnesota.
Actually with Chase you type your zip code in and it says their service isn't offered in your zip code. I always keep trying because I want to get my hands on one of their Disney debit cards.
Bank of America you can open in Minnesota (technically they do have a Minnesota location lololol). It's a crapshoot which banks with no locations in your state you can and can't open accounts with. Not sure how they determine if you're eligible or not or what they base it on. I tried opening an account at Key Bank keybank.com and it said I wasn't eligible based on my zipcode.

Also worth noting, there are national credit unions like PenFed and Nasa Federal Credit Union that anyone is able to join. Also online banks like someone earlier mentioned such as Ally.

Last edited by Radical_Car; 01-19-2016 at 11:05 PM..

Old 01-20-2016, 05:00 PM

810 posts, read 851,233 times
my husband uses an online bank called Simple. Although personally I would not recommend because his account was hacked several times and he had to get a new debit card which he used to pay bills, had to go and change the account info each time

Old 01-21-2016, 10:17 AM

442 posts, read 496,246 times
I use Capital One 360...all online. Have been a member for 5+ years and love it..

Old 01-21-2016, 07:30 PM

106 posts, read 161,180 times
Anchor Bank might work for you.

First Minnetonka City Bank has only two locations.

I've banked with both, but only because I need a place to deposit the physical checks my employer insists on using for business travel reimbursements.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:46 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTnVtMn View Post
Anchor Bank might work for you.

First Minnetonka City Bank has only two locations.

I've banked with both, but only because I need a place to deposit the physical checks my employer insists on using for business travel reimbursements.
I can deposit checks into my Wells Fargo account by taking a photo of them using their iPhone app.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:27 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,060,613 times
I opened an account with DCU - Digital Federal Credit Union www.dcu.org Was once a credit union for employees of the now defunct Digital Equipment Corporation, but anyways they only have a handful of branches in Massachusetts and New Hampshire, but I can do the mobile deposit with my smartphone, or deposit checks by scanning into onto computer. And they participate in shared branching, so I can walk into a local credit union branch, such as Spire credit union, and do my banking that way as if i am in one of DCU's branches, but in this day and age I only go into a bank branch, like, honestly pretty much never. On their website, you can look up ATM's you can use for free, or ones you can make automated cash or check deposits at, such as USBank atms, or any credit union's atm that participates in shared branching.

Reason why I joined them, because I might try to refinance my auto loan with them in the future, they have some of the lowest rates on auto loans I have ever seen, and people at the message boards at myfico.com recommend them. Plus if you get your paycheck via direct deposit, you get it 2 days early. Sweet!

Old 01-27-2016, 09:00 AM

267 posts, read 558,273 times
This is a little old now but look at Think Bank. They have a branch in Edina near Byerly's. They are headquartered in Rochester and used to be the IBM Credit Union. I've been with them for 30+ years.

Fees are low, they have an easy to use and free online bill pay, mobile banking and free mobile deposit.

Other locations in Twin Cities in Apple Valley, Eagan and St Paul.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:11 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,771,178 times
Associated Bank I think is smaller and it's in Edina.

Why not invest it or even better put it in 401k so you are penalized to take it out? If you want to pull it out at some point though than invest... why not make money if it's going sit there for some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul