Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 08:16 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,860,382 times

Advertisements

Lansing has a lot of wasted highways, in my opinion. All that talk about building a Northern bypass to connect I-96 with I-69 headed to Flint when I was growing up (in the 80's) and I still hardly see any cars on that highway when I'm on it (what 20 years later?).

Hopefully Lansing has gotten the clue that we don't need any more new highways to maintain for quite a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 10:00 PM

5 posts, read 12,721 times
Ya, that northern route you speak of isn't used alot, but there is alot of truck traffic once you reach 127 headed to/from Flint/Canada. The good thing about the northern extension is that is keeps the heavy trucks off the local roads and routes and keeps them moving through the area connecting them where they need to go. The roads aren't a waste, it is just a cross roads between major expressways that lead to other parts of the state and country. Lansing just happens to be where they meet. The city does not control their use with the exception of where they actually go through the city limits, the rest is county/state

Old 01-31-2009, 06:17 AM

MDOT has a page where you can look at daily traffic counts. That Northern Lansing extension gets about 30,000 cars/day, which is pretty weak for a 4 lane highway considering the $Hundreds of millions to build it. If it were a mass transit line, people would be crying that it's a boondoggle. Don't get me wrong, I'm not just picking on Lansing. I think the South Beltline in Grand Rapids was a waste of a half a billion dollars too.

Here's Lansing's:
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/lansing_19665_7.pdf

And Grand Rapids' and Detroit's for you traffic junkies:
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/grandrap_19648_7.pdf

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/detmetro_19640_7.pdf

Old 02-01-2009, 01:33 PM

74 posts, read 288,215 times
Think of all the truck traffic its keeping off other roads, if you have ever noticed that northern section carries a lot of trucks on it and many have ontario plates. NAFTA is to blame for that and there are talks of creating a super "NAFTA highway" following 69 all the way from port huron to the mexican border in texas. This would be like 10 lanes wide in each direction and carry major cargo rail lines and commuter rail lines along or in the middle.

About the original post. Lansing is more of a crossroads and also carries more out of town and out of state traffic although the volumes may be lower the infastructure is there for expansion if needed in the future and as mentioned as of now it is mostly narrow 2 lane highways, one section that should definatly be widened is the 127/496 shared section.

The city roads are also wider. This is in part because there are one ways in lansing probably at one point two way roads. GR does not have any major one ways and none outside of downtown, also has pretty narrow roads for the size of the city, the major road being 28th street and is only 2 lanes in each direction. Most smaller towns aroudn the country tend to have more roads that are at least 3 lanes in each direction. going from 2 to 3 lanes some may argue that creates more traffic which i dont agree with but are easier to navigate.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRRAZO View Post
Think of all the truck traffic its keeping off other roads, if you have ever noticed that northern section carries a lot of trucks on it and many have ontario plates. NAFTA is to blame for that and there are talks of creating a super "NAFTA highway" following 69 all the way from port huron to the mexican border in texas. This would be like 10 lanes wide in each direction and carry major cargo rail lines and commuter rail lines along or in the middle.

About the original post. Lansing is more of a crossroads and also carries more out of town and out of state traffic although the volumes may be lower the infastructure is there for expansion if needed in the future and as mentioned as of now it is mostly narrow 2 lane highways, one section that should definatly be widened is the 127/496 shared section.

The city roads are also wider. This is in part because there are one ways in lansing probably at one point two way roads. GR does not have any major one ways and none outside of downtown, also has pretty narrow roads for the size of the city, the major road being 28th street and is only 2 lanes in each direction. Most smaller towns aroudn the country tend to have more roads that are at least 3 lanes in each direction. going from 2 to 3 lanes some may argue that creates more traffic which i dont agree with but are easier to navigate.
Just a few questions:

How many fewer trucks travel on I-496 since the Northern bypass in Lansing was constructed?
How many trucks travel on the Northern bypass a day, period?
How many lanes is Rivertown Parkway in Grand Rapids?
How many 5 lane roads (with left turn lanes) are there in Grand Rapids, other than 28th Street? (28th St carries about 30,000 cars/day. The East Beltline carries almost double that, so I wouldn't call 28th the only major thoroughfare)
How many cars travel on 127/496, and how much traffic per day is required before MDOT considers going from 4 lanes to 6 lanes?
How many trucking companies are going out of business in Michigan due to the decline of manufacturing? How wise is planning for "future growth" with highway construction in Michigan right now?

And finally, how many blocks of homes and businesses were destroyed in Lansing to create its ridiculously wide one way streets (Saginaw, Oakland, Grand River, Cedar Larch, sections of Logan/MLK)?

Last edited by magellan; 02-01-2009 at 09:57 PM..

Old 02-02-2009, 08:32 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,608,583 times
Quote:
MDOT has a page where you can look at daily traffic counts. That Northern Lansing extension gets about 30,000 cars/day, which is pretty weak for a 4 lane highway considering the $Hundreds of millions to build it. If it were a mass transit line, people would be crying that it's a boondoggle. Don't get me wrong, I'm not just picking on Lansing. I think the South Beltline in Grand Rapids was a waste of a half a billion dollars too.
That northern extension of I-69 makes it a lot easier to drive from Grand Rapids to Flint. You'd almost have to take M-21 without it. That doesn't necessarily justify the expense of the highway, but it's great for anyone making that trip.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:36 PM

447 posts, read 1,246,171 times
One of the reasons the roads nearer the lakeshore are a lot worse than inland is that the roads inland, once frozen, tend to stay frozen for the winter. The lakeshore areas tend to have wilder, Lake Michigan-induced thaws that cause the roads to freeze/thaw/freeze, creating potholes and heaving.

I've also discovered that the roads in the UP are in much better shape (even in "metro" areas like Marquette), because they stay frozen until they thaw in the spring and don't go through the on-again, off-again freeze.

This was especially bad in the winter of 07-08, but the big Christmas thaw of 2008 wreaked havoc this year too.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,250 times
Does anyone know which lane merges from 696 W onto 96 W and again for 96 W entering onto 475? I am coming from Metro Detroit and going to Lansing

Old 06-08-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jln1960 View Post
Does anyone know which lane merges from 696 W onto 96 W and again for 96 W entering onto 475? I am coming from Metro Detroit and going to Lansing
I don't think you actually get on 475 (I think you mean 275). 475 is in Flint.

Just follow the signs to 96W to Lansing, from what I can visualize. The one messy area is where the Lodge joins in from the South and Northwestern Hwy goes off to the Northwest in the Southfield area.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:45 PM

27 posts, read 50,205 times
Wake the Hell Up!!!!! We did need I-69 around the north side of Lansing because of Montreal, Toronto to Chicago truck traffic!!! Remember when all those trucks went down Saginaw in E.Lansing back in the 80s? Don't be stupid!! You GR people don't have beef with us about your roads!!! Remeber the majority of politicians are from METRO DETROIT and as long as they remain in power Michigan is never going to have anything!!!! Where is that commuter train???!! In Lansing our roads are too small for the traffic! They don't even want to put cement walls down the center of our freeways to prevent head on collisions!!! My engineer friend told me they don't want to spend the money to bring the Freeways up to code!! That is why they are rebuilding our roads exactly back the way they were in the first place!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan