Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2008, 07:03 AM

217 posts, read 591,836 times

Advertisements

We are from the Marquette area, and are going on a long weekend the first week of September to the Keewenaw area........prob Copper Harbor and Ontonagon areas also.....we will be staying one night at the Keweenaw Mountain lodge, and I understand they have a restaurant on the premises.....any reviews of the restaurant or the lodge itself? Also looking for recomendations for good places to eat in the Keewenaw/Houghton/Hancock/Ontonagon area of the Upper Penninsula of Michigan. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 09:13 AM

695 posts, read 3,411,728 times
Not sure of that area but if you go through Mackinaw City get off at Jamet Street and go to Darrow's! Awesome restaurant.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:07 AM

3 posts, read 11,180 times
I wonder how bad the traffic is in Mackinaw city this year.
My wife always like the city and island, I always hated it. I worked on the island and saw the behind the curtains, and it aint so cool. I do not miss North Michigan, lived there all my life, and although there is a lot of great natural beauty, it is better to live in a better economic climate than one that is loosing its base every day. And I hate snow. Some here move in and say they love it. I did the same thing, played in the cold and snow, hunted and dug out when it would dump 3 feet in 3 hours.
But one 20 below day, I saw a stubborn old man who had lived in the north all his life, he was shoveling out his walk way at 90. I started to think do I want to be old and beating my head against the weather trying not to slip and break a hip, shoveling out my walk way go inside and have a cup of coffee and then back out to shovel out what I just had an hour before? That is when I decided that no, I would get out of the north. Go somewhere that may still get snow, but melts off before you can get your broom out to dust off the walk way. North Michigan is hard on everything, when you take a car in for service from the north in the south you always get what is the deal with your car, it is covered with rust underneath, Yep that is us.
I just love buying a 20k car only to throw acid soup against it all winter.
And as far as GM goes I do not have any sympathy for the company, they have been involved with the oil companies, If you watch the doc. who killed the electric car, you will want to have a block party when GM goes down for the count.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:38 PM

137 posts, read 532,715 times
She says they are from the MQT area so, she's most likely not going through Mackinac City. I can't give much insight on the Keewenaw pen. but, I do know that The Mariner in Copper Harbor is a nice place to stay and eat. They are a little bit pricey though (on their meals). Other than that, I couldn't really tell you. I know Houghton has quite a few restaurants. Have a good trip.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:38 AM

78 posts, read 357,402 times
Default Restaurants in the Copper Country

Dining at the Keweenaw Lodge: the food is pretty good, but service can be slow -- really slow if the Lodge is hosting an event (like a wedding). Your best bet there is lunch.

I honestly can not recommend any restaurants in Copper Harbor. I would suggest avoiding the Mariner North.

I haven't been to The Hut in Calumet since its re-opened, but the chef/mgr there brings a reputation of quality, simple food with XL portions.

In Hancock: The Waterfront (at Ramada Inn), Gemignani's Italian (on Quincy, across from Finlandia Univ) and Jim's on Quincy St has good pizza.

Quincy's in Dollar Bay is a good bet, too. Maybe the best Friday Fish Fry in the area.

The Ambassador in downtown Houghton is a local favorite and a Michigan Tech tradition. One of the coolest restaurant interiors I've ever seen. The Suomi in Houghton serves great breakfast.

A little bit out of Houghton (towards Chassell) you'll find the Pilgrim River Steakhouse. City-quality steaks here.

Going the other way, toward Ontonogan, you'll find the Cozy Corner bar in South Range. Excellent pasties - but call ahead.

Twenty-or-so miles out of Houghton, toward Onto., is Twin Lakes State Park, and across the street is the Parkview Lodge & Grill. Good ol' American food - low prices, no frills.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:23 PM

217 posts, read 591,836 times
Thanks for the feedback Pirate......Incidentaly, where are you from? I welcome more feedback if anyone out there in computer land has any personal experience from this area...thanks!

Old 07-23-2008, 08:46 PM

137 posts, read 532,715 times
You're welcome lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan