Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 09:50 AM

36 posts, read 164,478 times

Advertisements

Hi all--

Im a recent college grad from upstate ny and I will be moving in May to take my first job as an elementary teacher in New Mexico. However....before I leave I wanted to take one of my dream trips....a road trip to and through Michigan. I know it's winter. It's cold. But I also have had an love affair with Michigan for as long as I can remember (No, I've never visited!) and listening to Sufjan Steven's Album "Greetings from Michigan" only fuels the fire.

I need to visit. Im so close to just hopping in my jeep and blindly throwing myself to the thruways...

I dont have a lot of money to spend, especially with gas costs these days...but I would love to fit in as much as possible within a short amount of time (maybe less than a week). There are some places Ive at least got to visit briefly (Diego's work in Detroit, Flint, Port Huron...) but honestly I just want to visit Michigan. Probably I cant make it to the UP this trip, as I'll most likely be alone and I would want to wait until I came back with someone else. So...it's winter, and Im not really loaded with $....what kind of itinerary can someone suggest? Im really interested in the history of Michigan, and if it was warmer Im sure I would just meander around the whole state but...I've got to keep it short and sweet
Thanks everyone! My family thinks Im crazy- we're from upstate NY and they dont see Michigan as a place to get so worked up about . Too late!

Danielle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 11:18 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,466,337 times
Sufjan is from my neck of the woods up here in Petoskey, MI. Too bad, it sounds like you won't be able to make it up here this time, but whenever you do get the chance you MUST come see us! One of the most beautiful regions in the whole country......you will not be dissapointed.

If you're going to the Detroit area and looking for history, you can check out the Henry Ford museum and Greenfield Village in Dearborn, although the latter is closed fron Jan. to April during the really cold winter months. There's usually something going on at the Cobo facilities downtown also, so check that out too. Detroit has some nice art deco buildings that'll give you a good sense of the city's boom period from about 1930-1970, and if you like sports there is no better place to get your fix for that. There is food of every kind for you to enjoy, but I must recommend my personal favorite spot, which is the adjoining Lafayette and American Coney joints on Lafayette Avenue downtown.

Hope you enjoy your visit..........Michigan is a special place indeed, contrary to the constant heaping of negativity many people have been fed about it.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:21 AM

2,068 posts, read 5,975,171 times
Michigan is a beautiful state, but sadly, those who have never been seem to think the whole state is like the SE corner. I'm assuming that you are going to be coming through Canada?

If you like history, you might want to check out Greenfield Village although it is not just Michigan history.The Henry Ford: America's Greatest History Attraction

You mentioned Diego Rivera, are you interested in architecture as well? If so, you might want to go to Kalamazoo, where there are a number of homes designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. http://kzoo.edu/~cstull/wright.htm

Oh, and while you are at the Detroit Institute of Arts, make sure you bop on over to the Historical museum, which is nearby. I always loved the old time city street there.

If it were summer, I'd have a whole lot more to suggest, but that will get you started and I'm sure you'll get a lot more great ideas from the members here! I want to drive across the state on US 12 (Michigan Ave. in Detroit) one of these days, and do it in a nice leisurely manner taking maybe a week.

Have a great time!

Old 01-21-2008, 11:40 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,784,864 times
What is it about MI you're in love with? That will give us a better idea what to recommend...

Old 01-21-2008, 12:33 PM

36 posts, read 164,478 times
Default Ill probably never meet another non-michigander who has romanticized the state as much as myself

@ Northman : Thanks I most DEFINITELY will plan on visiting Petoskey at some point...and I must say that despite having not yet visited Michigan, I also hate hearing the
Quote:
constant heaping of negativity many people have been fed about it.

@ Rapunzll: The Detroit Inst. of Arts sounds great! I want to visit Detroit but I am planning on just staying there during the day....I'm a bit happy-go-lucky about being alone in a big city but I won't try to kid myself on this one. Any daytime activities there are a good thing for this trip.
The drive on US 12 sounds incredible...and like a nice thing to do in warmer weather

@ Cliffie: Good question...wish I could give a reasonable answer! For me, some places just hypnotize me with their history, their natural wealth, and the ideas Ive always carried around about them... a very romanticized outlook....Michigan is definitely one of them. Once I cross into the state Im sure Ill jump out of the car for joy.
Id love to visit some of the great lakes from Michigan, and get a feel for the woodsy parts of the state. Im thinking about pushing my trip back as far as I can, possibly April, to make sure the weather is warm enough to really see some things.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:45 PM

334 posts, read 1,372,955 times
If you come when it's warmer checkout: Sleeping bear sand dunes, tahquamenon falls, pictured rocks, mackinac island.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:12 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,954,387 times
The State Capitol in Lansing has a wonderful tour, and it's free! There are also several museums on the campus of Michigan State University. If you get a chance, spend 1/2 day wandering around U of M campus and then shoot up to MSU and do the same. Both worth the experience of saying you've done it.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:26 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,795,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltraneandcoffee View Post
@ Northman : Thanks I most DEFINITELY will plan on visiting Petoskey at some point...and I must say that despite having not yet visited Michigan, I also hate hearing the .

@ Rapunzll: The Detroit Inst. of Arts sounds great! I want to visit Detroit but I am planning on just staying there during the day....I'm a bit happy-go-lucky about being alone in a big city but I won't try to kid myself on this one. Any daytime activities there are a good thing for this trip.
The drive on US 12 sounds incredible...and like a nice thing to do in warmer weather

@ Cliffie: Good question...wish I could give a reasonable answer! For me, some places just hypnotize me with their history, their natural wealth, and the ideas Ive always carried around about them... a very romanticized outlook....Michigan is definitely one of them. Once I cross into the state Im sure Ill jump out of the car for joy.
Id love to visit some of the great lakes from Michigan, and get a feel for the woodsy parts of the state. Im thinking about pushing my trip back as far as I can, possibly April, to make sure the weather is warm enough to really see some things.
It's really not so bad to go out through Michigan and on over to Wisconsin -- then you can see the UP and better scenery. You get to miss the I-80-90 traffic south of Chicago that way and you can drop down I-35 from Wisconsin all the way to Dallas -- or drop down I-25 from Colorado.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:35 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,975,171 times
Malamute - better scenery? Mostly you see trees, trees, and more trees! LOL That would be way out of her way. Even if she went through rush hour traffic in Chicago, she would still get to TX faster by not going that way!

Old 01-22-2008, 08:28 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,795,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
Malamute - better scenery? Mostly you see trees, trees, and more trees! LOL That would be way out of her way. Even if she went through rush hour traffic in Chicago, she would still get to TX faster by not going that way!
But she said "to and through" -- and it's a very nice drive -- up through Michigan because the best scenery is in the north and you can drive all the way across the UP -- see Lake Superior and the small towns, stop to see some waterfalls. and when you hit I-35, it's clean sailing all the way to Texas. Going through Colorado would also be very scenic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan