Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 11:38 PM

83 posts, read 66,695 times

Advertisements

When one euro equals two dollars that will hurt man.We will be poor as hell.Think of 100k dollars worth only 50k euros.Thats messed up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 01:17 AM

189 posts, read 219,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FERRETI View Post
Plan A for me is to move to other states in the south.If that does not work either then i will look to move to another developed country,but the major european countries are on life support too.They just don`t have this housing collapse,but they are moving their jobs to africa and to eastern europe.The riches and those who abused and stole will not have to worry worldwide while we ponder of what the hell we are going to do next.
Irony- One European country with a good economic climate is Republic of Ireland, they have grown tremendously in the last decade.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:32 AM

40 posts, read 102,085 times
The prices will continue dropping. This is not the time to sell. This is the time to buy for investment. Housing prices were to high to begin with. It is time to learn a lesson. The majority of houses are overprice.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:50 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,958,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maramax View Post
The prices will continue dropping. This is not the time to sell. This is the time to buy for investment. Housing prices were to high to begin with. It is time to learn a lesson. The majority of houses are overprice.
Always true , buy low , sell high. problem is , the cost of living for the average Joe is such , that he does not have that option. We have been following the yellow brick road for so long now, that it will be very hard for most to take the detour , back to the farm...........The only true independence is to owe no one, or thing, grow your own food ( and or barter ) ,, get off the grid , pay no taxes,
become a hermit, or get lucky,and find a partner that can accept the same.
The problem is , the shine of material things, will keep pulling you back ,and your spouse, until , you are back where you were before. Most people who find , after a melt down of their lifestyle, starting over , seem to find their way right back to where they were before, its the American way.........

Old 01-18-2008, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amatrine View Post
Buying gold and silver will not do any good. In the depression, it was illegal to use it as trade. You were only allowed so much jewlry. I say save water, food, medicine. Generator, etc... especially if you live in AZ like I do at the moment.
You need to check your history. When the price of gold was " fixed" at 32.00 per oz. , it did not mean that owing PMs was illegal. When we came off the gold standard, and that came much later , is when all the problems started. Gold and silver have always been legal tender, still are in fact. Its just that one oz. of gold is" worth", much more than face value. Do you know how much is left in Ft. Knox ?......look it up.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:06 AM

83 posts, read 66,695 times
I know gold was 320 back in 1996.It hovered around like that since 1990 till 1996 then it went up.Now its at 800 probably 900.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:16 AM

641 posts, read 2,368,651 times
Roosevelt did make it illegal. Here is a link: Pre-1933 U.S. Gold Coins (http://www.nwtmintbullion.com/gold_earlygold.php - broken link)

Ama

Old 01-18-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amatrine View Post
Roosevelt did make it illegal. Here is a link: Pre-1933 U.S. Gold Coins (http://www.nwtmintbullion.com/gold_earlygold.php - broken link)

Ama
In 1933 the Government, decided to redeem all gold certificates that represented an equal amount of gold. people were told to turn in these notes for a replacement. The act of 1933 did last until 1964. Our money was still backed by gold however. !964 changed all that , and our paper notes were just called " legal tender"..
In 1933 , people were told not the " hoard" gold, which was defined as any amount over 10,000 in todays dollars. There were many exceptions, including coin dealers, industrial uses , and dentists , among others . A lot of people hid their large hoards , or shipped them overseas,. This was supposed to refer to gold bars , and not coins. I do not know of anyone who was ever prosecuted for having some gold coins. The executive order of 1933 was never seriously enforced, because , there were so many loop holes , that it was unenforceable. A lot of people who held onto the gold paper lost , cause the government did declare them worthless........ The lesson here , is , if you want to be secure , for doomsday , hold physical PMs , and , put them where only you know where they are.......not even a safe deposit box,....read the fine print , if the bank fails , or the feds, and or state , want to open your box , they can, just takes a judge to sign off on a peace of paper. You , are out of luck as well as all the depositors who have a savings account, when the Government decides to restructure our national debt. Its happened before , and , it will happen again,........the question of the day , is , WHEN ?

Old 01-18-2008, 04:44 PM

641 posts, read 2,368,651 times
Good info, thanks

Old 01-18-2008, 09:48 PM

850 posts, read 1,900,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsnkali View Post
I was planning to retire overseas but the US dollar is absolutely getting crushed. It is horrible. Look at the charts on the value of our greenback vs most world currencies. The trend lines are at downward 45 degree angle. And I'm not talking the Euro or UK Sterling here. I'm talking South American currencies! We have mortgaged our future here in America. It's not good. We have 12 plus million illegals working construction and meat packing etc. Those industries were once well-paying jobs for our middle class. How the hell are companies allowed to hire ILLEGALS???? I am so pissed that both Dems and Reps are doing NOTHING about this. NOTHING. Repeat NOTHING. I am tired of being Mexico's "safety valve". By the way, I am in California. You should see it here....

We are going to pay the piper. Our government is not going to help. They are pretty much broke too. Our cheap dollar should make our goods very competitive worldwide but we hardly make anything anymore in this country! Our manufacturing base is now selling each other a cup of fancy coffee or doing "human resource" work at a law firm so we can sue each other....
yeah i don't worry so much about terrorists with the illegal immigration problem, i worry more about the impact it has had on our economy. they have taken all the middle class jobs and turned them into minimum wage jobs. not to blame 'them', but the people who have hired them and the government who does nothing about illegal immigrants. just one more factor in this crap economy....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan