Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 10:28 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,277,839 times

Advertisements

If your on Facebook I'm sure you have seen the many videos going around of pile ups on freeways from people driving too fast in poor driving conditions.
I'm Michigan born and raised and 46 years old. When I was younger and had my 4X4's I'll admit I drove faster than I should and passed my share of people when I shouldn't have. About 16 years ago I was in a major car accident and to this day it makes me take more caution when driving than I did before it. I was out with a lady friend and it snowed while we sat eating dinner and having a beer. The conditions were perfect for black ice to develop and while heading south on middle belt rd in Farmington we went into a spin right in to the oncoming traffic. Lucky for me the Jimmy we were in spun far enough that the impact was more on the rear passenger corner and rear passenger door behind me. After seeing the photographs of the wreck I had to count my blessings. Had it hit just lightly different I have no doubt I would have been killed. The back end of that SUV was gone, 3/4 of the way across the entire vehicle. Even after, people were not slowing near the crash site and we were almost hit on the side of the road and cars were sliding past us and into the ditch. It was a crazy scene.
This year with this snow and cold I have driven home on my 45 minute commute when the road conditions were terrible. A lot like the night of the accident. Even though we all drove past literally dozens of cars off the road, or accidents. People do not seem to take notice and continue to drive 65-70. I just don't get it. I'm a darn good driver. I have never been behind the wheel in an accident and I have had one moving violation in my entire life of driving. Knock on wood. I drove a step van for 7 years for my job and cannot even tell you how many miles I have logged in my life. Yet I can't help but wonder where in the world are these people going that they feel they need to risk their own and the lives of others while driving too fast for the conditions that are present.
Has anyone else noticed that people seem to be a tad more careless? Or have I just been surrounded by morons while driving home nightly? When I leave work at 11:00pm I can't wait to get home to kiss my wife and son and go to bed. But I don't mind getting there an extra 10-15 minutes later. I just don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 01:26 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,608,055 times
Yea, I feel like there's been a lot more highway pileups this winter than there has ever been. All it takes is either a whiteout or some ice on the road to spin out one car and it causes a chain reaction because no one can slow down in time to avoid any collision or maintain stability. It's especially bad when semi-truck drivers are going to fast because most deaths in pileups are caused when cars get sandwiched between trucks and trailers. It's really kind of sad because I feel like a lot of these pileups could be avoided if only people slowed down.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:07 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,317,804 times
One evening last week it took our daughter two hours to commute home from U of M Ann Arbor, a commute that normally takes about 25 minutes, because of accidents both on I-94 and then US 23, both caused by idiots driving too fast for the road conditions. I see people driving like this every morning on my commute via US 23 to work, semis included. Yesterday my heart almost stopped when a huge UPS semi pulling doubles blew past me in the ice and snow covered left lane then quickly swerved over to avoid being rear ended by the Kroger semi that was tailgating him.

Why do people feel the need to put others' lives in jeopardy just because they are in a hurry and don't try to drive according to road conditions? Selfish!

Old 01-26-2014, 06:52 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,906,604 times
Up here people are slow...lol I do NOT miss those busy expressways and people going 80-90 mph. If I never have to drive them again I will be happy as a clam! People are in a hurry these days, and that will never change. You can have all that fast paced life.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:12 AM

But I don't want it.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:25 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,432,819 times
Those people who drive at 20mph holding up huge strings of traffic are IMO just as deadly. People get frustrated and tetchy and take risks and accidents happen.
Yes I know you always go to town on a Wednesday for your groceries and you have been doing it for 40 years in the same damn car but please please could you at least come close to a reasonable speed ?

Old 01-26-2014, 11:04 AM

Here is a story from today related to the post. Read the first sentence. No it's not the snow, it's the idiots who think they can drive in it like the roads are clear.

Snow causing multiple accidents on area roads and freeways

Old 01-26-2014, 11:24 AM

21,163 posts, read 19,753,224 times
Why shouldn't other people have an opportunity to be as much a "moron" as you were 16 years ago?

Old 01-26-2014, 11:26 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,876,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
Those people who drive at 20mph holding up huge strings of traffic are IMO just as deadly. People get frustrated and tetchy and take risks and accidents happen.
Yes I know you always go to town on a Wednesday for your groceries and you have been doing it for 40 years in the same damn car but please please could you at least come close to a reasonable speed ?
There are times where the reasonable and prudent speed IS 20 MPH. Been there done that several times, always have fools who think 4X4 or AWD will somehow make their vehicle handle icy roads like they are dry. From your post I take it you would be one I would smile and wave at while they are trying to figure out why they are in the ditch and that damn hazardous driver they blew by a couple miles ago is passing by... smiling, waving and laughing his ass off. And yes I drive AWD and 4X4, have for decades; great for getting going, doesn't do squat for turning or stopping.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:45 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,608,055 times
Honestly, 4WD doesn't mean much when ice separates the rubber from the road. No amount of vehicle engineering can beat physics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan