Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 11:53 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,875,638 times

Advertisements

LOL! Well, as someone who moved to Michigan from another state, I have to say that there are nice, friendly people here as well as crabby, grumpy people. There are an awful lot of people in Michigan, you know? All different kinds of personalities.

Maybe the grumps you ran into are having adjustment problems. It's hard to move across the country, especially with a family.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:10 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,114,415 times
Trust me.

Folks have their quirks everywhere.

I'll chime in and share that the folks from Colorado are VERY nice.

But the California people tend to tell ya when you're wrong. That's if your opinion differs in ANY way from their own.

Michigan has a good mix of folks. If one can imagine, they're like combining a Yankee, a southerner, and a typical Midwesterner all in one. The U.P. is another matter entirely though.

Yoopers are a lot like the born & raised AZ desert folks.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:18 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,114,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Maybe everyone you have met so far is from the NE corner where it seems everybody is in a rush. Those of us who occupy the other 85% of the State are pretty laid-back compared to the Detroit area.

I know you meant SE corner. Just clarifying for the OP.

Folks "up north" tend to pull people out of the ditch for fun during the winter months.

And if you're out in the less populated areas, you shouldn't be surprised to find a sack of produce on your doorstep from someone's over-abundant garden. Wouldn't want it to go to waste......

Unemployed?

You'll probably get invited to a potluck dinner on Sunday. Expect to bring home much more than you brought to the table.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:11 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,617,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelee View Post
Like that TV show hardcore pawn. They are just as bad as the customers you see on that show. Very in your face, love a challenge.
Well I don't know about that. If everyone in the state acted like that, I'd be a bit worried to be honest, lol.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:00 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,461,887 times
I think that Hard Core Pawn is a special sort of situation, with a family business operation, that has to deal with the very bottom level of a slum city's population. No body in that situation is going to be a happy camper, on either side of the sales counter. I am betting that every one of the staff is packing a hand gun, under their shirt, as are the majority of the customers that walk in the door.

The family knows that they are a target for criminals, and they are doing everything that they can to out smart them, with cameras, and security windows and bars. Not my idea of a place to work.

I spent five years working in the expedite freight business, based out of Toronto. Many days were spent in Michigan, making deliveries, or waiting for a load to go back home. My experience was that many workers in that state were grouchy and crabby, and unhappy with their lot in life. The most ignorant ones, with out any doubt, were the union types at the car plants, who I had to deal with, to get loads, or make deliveries.

Absolutely bone lazy, and mouthy as hell.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:44 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,617,355 times
Working in a car factory is a stressful job. Especially when the companies were going through bankruptcy. People were on edge. An actual lazy person wouldn't be able to make it half a year working at car factory even if they were still paying people $20 an hour. And some people have been working those same jobs for 30 years.

I would think many blue collar places would have people of similar temperament.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:59 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,279,773 times
Reality TV is staged anyway. The people on the HCP side are "acting" a certain way to ensure the show stays on the air. The "customers" are purposefully acting up for their chance at fame to make the editor's cuts/nationwide TV exposure.

I'm surprised the concept of reality TV not mirroring real life hasn't made it to Canada yet. Do you think everyone in Georgia is like Honey Boo Boo or all of New Jersey is like the Jersey Shore?

Old 10-18-2013, 03:01 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,908,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
I know you meant SE corner. Just clarifying for the OP.

Folks "up north" tend to pull people out of the ditch for fun during the winter months.

And if you're out in the less populated areas, you shouldn't be surprised to find a sack of produce on your doorstep from someone's over-abundant garden. Wouldn't want it to go to waste......

Unemployed?

You'll probably get invited to a potluck dinner on Sunday. Expect to bring home much more than you brought to the table.
LOL! Yes I meant the SE corner, not the NE corner.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:25 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,327,907 times
OP, I'm trying to get this, but I'm having a bit of a problem with the part where you say that people from California are "laid back". The times that I have been in the southern portion of that state, I don't think I have ever been around so many angry, selfish, stressed out people. Have you ever driven on the freeway system in California? The place gives "road rage" a whole new meaning. People in the public spectrum are not especially friendly either. "Laid back"? Wow. That is not a term that I would attribute to the good people of the Golden State.

Of course, to label all of the people of a state based on the relatively small number that I have encountered would be silly, presumptuous, and no doubt erroneous, wouldn't it? Which is what you are doing by painting all citizens of the state of Michigan with one big, presumptuous, paint brush based on those that you have met in Colorado.

I am not a native of Michigan. We have lived here for 16 years now and I don't know if we could have picked a state with friendlier, more down to earth people. Seriously. I would not say that about the people in the western U.S. that I have met. Different people, different experiences, different impressions, I guess. But please don't base your opinion of almost ten million people on a handful that you have met who don't even live here anymore!

Old 10-18-2013, 06:03 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,914,063 times
I have lived here for all my 46 years..and have yet to meet all these people you speak of. Of course every state has them, but you do make it sound like all Michigan must be like this. I lived most of my life in the southern-mid section, and met a few of those people, and now live in NW lower MI..and have not met any like that. People up here are the nicest I have met in my life and very laid back. Maybe they all moved to Colorado?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan