Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2013, 09:21 AM

2 posts, read 7,389 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I wanted to see if anyone else has had to deal with something of this nature and how they went about dealing with it.

We have some unbelievably inconsiderate and rude neighbors. They are constantly being loud and obnoxious but the main issue right now is their dogs. They have three dogs that they let run loose at all hours of the day and night. These dogs have gotten into my trash, they've ruined Christmas lights, they've torn the downspout off of my house, and they've woken me up at 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning on numerous occasions barking on and off for hours right outside my house. And not to mention, the one seems kind of aggressive.

I've called the sheriff's department a few times and I'm not sure if the police are missing them or if these neighbors are just ignoring what the police are telling them.

It is getting completely out of hand. Besides the poilce, is there anyone else I can contact? Can these people be fined? Something? Oh, and I'm not going over there and confronting them because they are the type that would try and seek revenge. I'm not looking to start an all out war, I just want to come home at the end of the day and have peace and quiet. It just boggles my mind that there are people out there that are THIS inconsiderate and rude.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

G.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 09:52 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
First thing I would have done is fenced in my trash. It may not be your fault, but why continue to pick it up after the dogs tear into it?

Personally, I would locate a no-kill shelter in the area. Then I would contract or buy live traps big enough for the dogs. Once caught, I would transport the dogs to the nearest no-kill shelter.
I think Jethro's is in your area?
The hardest part is remembering it is NOT the dogs fault they has idiots for owners.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:59 AM

429 posts, read 971,618 times
if you trapped their dogs and took them to the shelter that would be theft dogs are considered property in Michigan (and most states i believe). Please dont do that. You could be charge with theft and sued by the neghbors. Also all shelters and animal controls are over so over full. Genesse county animal shelter in particular is very full and they ae also having alot of issues and problems with animals being put down and a bunch of other "political drama" If you could tell me what city you are in i can see if i have any contacts with a rescue around you and maybe have them come out and talk to the owners and "educate" them. You can try calling Animal control and filing a complaint. Not sure if they actually respond to calls near you (they dont in detroit where i live) All that would prob happen if they came out would be a warning if the dogs were loose running around (at large) nd if it happened again possiby a fine. If the one dog is aggresive and goes after an AC officer they will prob take the dog and put it down. If the police respond and the dg goes after them they will either shoot it or take it to animal control. Im assuming your yards are not fenced in? your neighbors need to get proper tie outs (ie NOT tow chains) for their dogs to keep them on their property. It is dangerous for you, your family, other neighbors, people who drive on your street, and the dogs. It sucks when pet owners are irresponsible cause they end up being the only ones who dont suffer because of it. I feel bad for both you and for the dogs.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:14 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beans213 View Post
if you trapped their dogs and took them to the shelter that would be theft dogs are considered property in Michigan (and most states i believe). Please dont do that. You could be charge with theft and sued by the neghbors. Also all shelters and animal controls are over so over full. Genesse county animal shelter in particular is very full and they ae also having alot of issues and problems with animals being put down and a bunch of other "political drama" If you could tell me what city you are in i can see if i have any contacts with a rescue around you and maybe have them come out and talk to the owners and "educate" them. You can try calling Animal control and filing a complaint. Not sure if they actually respond to calls near you (they dont in detroit where i live) All that would prob happen if they came out would be a warning if the dogs were loose running around (at large) nd if it happened again possiby a fine. If the one dog is aggresive and goes after an AC officer they will prob take the dog and put it down. If the police respond and the dg goes after them they will either shoot it or take it to animal control. Im assuming your yards are not fenced in? your neighbors need to get proper tie outs (ie NOT tow chains) for their dogs to keep them on their property. It is dangerous for you, your family, other neighbors, people who drive on your street, and the dogs. It sucks when pet owners are irresponsible cause they end up being the only ones who dont suffer because of it. I feel bad for both you and for the dogs.
I would make them show the evidence of what happened. Chances are they will not even notice the dogs are gone.
Jethro's is a no kill shelter. Any no-kill that takes an animal will not chage policy and put an animal down. They may not take an animal when you wantr to drop it off.
Bring them here to Livingston County--it is also a no-kill shelter. May be the neighbor will listen to a shelter since the paid little attention to law enforcement.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Bring them here to Livingston County--it is also a no-kill shelter. May be the neighbor will listen to a shelter since the paid little attention to law enforcement.
Livingston county animal control is NOT a no kil shelter. Neither is livingston county humane society. They both have a kill rate less then a lot of the other shelters and animal controls in the state but they both do kill animals due to space.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:40 PM

2 posts, read 7,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beans213 View Post
It sucks when pet owners are irresponsible cause they end up being the only ones who dont suffer because of it.
No truer words have been spoken ^

Beans213- for some reason city-data wont let me send another private message until tomorrow I guess maybe b/c I’m new to the form. Anyway, to respond to what you put in your last message-

These people definitely open the door and let the three dogs go at all hours of the day and night. It’s hard to say whether or not they ever have them inside. I would assume they probably do here and there but when I don’t see them in my yard or hear them barking, they could just be in someone else’s yard not barking, or maybe sleeping.

The one dog is a solid black mutt but would be most comparable to a border collie (same body type/hair type). The other dog is rather large. Appears to be some type of hound. That dog has large yellow and white spots. The third dog, the one that seems somewhat aggressive appears to be a yellow lab cross. Looks like that one may have pit bull in it, maybe rot, (it’s all yellow though).

And the crazy thing is, I can’t believe these dogs are still alive. People FLY down the road I live on and I see these dogs in the road/off to the side of it all the time. It’s a miracle one hasn’t been hit by a car yet.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:57 PM

Thank you for answering my questions. I dont know why it wont let you send me another message. Im gonna try to find someone that can go out there and talk to you neighbors. ill keep you updated once i hear back from someone.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I would make them show the evidence of what happened. Chances are they will not even notice the dogs are gone.
Jethro's is a no kill shelter. Any no-kill that takes an animal will not chage policy and put an animal down. They may not take an animal when you wantr to drop it off.
When you turn a dog into a shelter or animal control or a rescue whether it be your own dog or a stray dog or a dog you know to have been abondoned or one that is lost they are required to fill out a stray/found form that requires the finders name and i believe contact info and to see your drivers lic. They are required to do this for the exact reason of what you suggested doing. Im not saying everywhere does this and follows the rules but it is what they are supposed to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan