Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2012, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,267 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon everyone. I just recently accepted a job promotion and will be relocating from Western PA to the Flint, MI area. I was looking for some advice on where to live. I am familiar with the reputation of the Flint, MI area, but I have learned in the past that a few bad areas can ruin an entire City's reputation. Any advice would be very appreciated.

Thank you,

Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 06:22 PM

3,406 posts, read 3,451,565 times
Grand blanc, davison, fenton or linden. Choose from those areas.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:23 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,810,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
Grand blanc, davison, fenton or linden. Choose from those areas.

This person is correct, pick one of those towns because if you get too close to Flint you will not be happy with what you have to live with. Flints bad rap is not undeserved, crime is bad, run down areas make anyone want prozac. You could add to the list Montrose or Clio as well they are clean and safe, they are a bit more rural, and alot less pretentious than a town like Grand Blanc. (unless your looking for that) Anything that has a Flint adress should be considered a "no go" Traffic is not a real concern when picking an outlying suburb or town, theres not much of a rush hour in Genesse county. You could live as far out as Owosso, Lapeer or Birch Run and not have big traffic problems and you will get to live a good distance from the problems of Flint. If you are outside of Genesse county your taxes and insurance will be cheaper as you wont be paying for the problems of Flint. Good luck, Michigan is a nice place to live outside of the urban areas you have heard about like Flint.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:14 PM

3 posts, read 36,543 times
no matter where you go there is bad area, i move to university estates in flint, mi. its graet here, people are very friendly, i just moved here in april 2012. i did all checks, crime, etc. just like you have. its very quiet here. good luck

Old 08-14-2012, 12:54 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,551,751 times
please dont rely on yahoo or any type of search engine. They say Flint is one the cities that has the highest crime rate. Its a bunch of bull. How can you compare a small city to a big city (Like Atlanta) and say it has the highest crime rate?

Grand Blanc and Fenton are nice areas. And when it snows it looks like something out of a Christmas card

Old 08-16-2012, 06:33 AM

24 posts, read 39,869 times
I agree with the others about the outlying areas. As a resident of Flint for...well...all my life, I would suggest to ANYONE that 'has' to come here to live outside the city itself. Swartz Creek, Linden, Grand Blanc (can be pricy), Davison, Mt Morris, Clio...enough to choose from.

As for the highest crime rate, yes Flint has the highest crime rate...per capita. Which means, in a city of Flints size which is around 102,000, an unemployment rate of 9.6% and the majority of the population on public assistance, (thus the problem in paying for public services ie: police and fire protection) Flint is riddled with problems.

Here's a comparison:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=...4&output=embed

Just a little interesting information..hope it helps!

MC

Last edited by Yac; 08-23-2012 at 06:55 AM..

Old 08-16-2012, 11:46 PM

55 posts, read 242,464 times
There's good areas and bad areas of Flint. As a life long resident, I've seen it first hand. Specific areas of the south side are not bad at all--it really depends on who your neighbors are. In our case, we've got a lot of long time neighbors on our street, so our street is generally very quiet, no worries of gun shots or other violent crimes. From what I've heard, the down town lofts/apartments are quite nice as well--some working professionals live there. Definitely steer clear of the east, west and north ends of town. Nothing but trouble there. The closer you get to Grand Blanc in Flint, generally the better. Swartz Creek, Davison and Grand Blanc are all pretty safe alternatives, too, though obviously pricier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan