Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2011, 08:54 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,847,360 times

Advertisements

Maybe the parents need to look at how their districts finances are being handled and not follow some sore loser recall effort.

Our local school district has been hit in the bottom line pretty good, but the cuts that have to be made are NOT affecting the students or their families. My kids are in sports, band, drama, etc... and there is no "pay to play" here at all. It is the same for most of the school districts I know of around this area. That whole scenario is nothing short of a scare tactic by those who want Snyder out, before giving his administration a chance to try and fix the pile of crap that they inherited from the last one or two administrations. I don't agree with some of the cuts this administration has implemented, but when taken as a whole, the cuts are across the board. That is bound to tick off a few people, maybe even a lot of people. But, if those people were not so interested in protecting their own special interests, they would be able to see across the board cuts are needed in order to move forward.

I firmly believe the recall effort is a bunch of BS and is being tried too early to hold any merit. There hasn't been enough time passed to really see if this is going to work and be helpful. This just smacks of sour grapes on a lot of peoples part and a misguided effort to save programs and entitlements that very well may be better off in the past, so the ENTIRE state can more on, and not just a few special interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 08:59 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,602,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Maybe the parents need to look at how their districts finances are being handled and not follow some sore loser recall effort.

Our local school district has been hit in the bottom line pretty good, but the cuts that have to be made are NOT affecting the students or their families. My kids are in sports, band, drama, etc... and there is no "pay to play" here at all. It is the same for most of the school districts I know of around this area. That whole scenario is nothing short of a scare tactic by those who want Snyder out, before giving his administration a chance to try and fix the pile of crap that they inherited from the last one or two administrations. I don't agree with some of the cuts this administration has implemented, but when taken as a whole, the cuts are across the board. That is bound to tick off a few people, maybe even a lot of people. But, if those people were not so interested in protecting their own special interests, they would be able to see across the board cuts are needed in order to move forward.

I firmly believe the recall effort is a bunch of BS and is being tried too early to hold any merit. There hasn't been enough time passed to really see if this is going to work and be helpful. This just smacks of sour grapes on a lot of peoples part and a misguided effort to save programs and entitlements that very well may be better off in the past, so the ENTIRE state can more on, and not just a few special interests.
I cannot possibly say it any better. So I'm not going to try. Thank you.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:16 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,899,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post

I think your exactly right. To you recall-people.. Instead of crying, get off your butts and try to make a difference in a positive way. I think most people would be surprised how little difference they would see when districts actually cut back on un-needed costs.
Like him or not...I think Rick is headed us in the right direction, and its showing.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:41 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,614,322 times
Leaders of the drive feel that once many return from summer vacations and outings to find out what they are going to pay for their children to be in a school band or on a pay to play sports team they will flock to the petions to sign, notto mention the bigger class sizes.

Poor babies. You want somebody else to pay for YOUR children's sports? Talk about an abuse of entitlement. School is supposed to be a place to get an education.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Leaders of the drive feel that once many return from summer vacations and outings to find out what they are going to pay for their children to be in a school band or on a pay to play sports team they will flock to the petions to sign, notto mention the bigger class sizes.

Poor babies. You want somebody else to pay for YOUR children's sports? Talk about an abuse of entitlement. School is supposed to be a place to get an education.
Exactly. And the direction we are headed...soon we will be returning to the days where students just go to school to get an education and go home....Then these people will REALLY be crying.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:51 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,567,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Exactly. And the direction we are headed...soon we will be returning to the days where students just go to school to get an education and go home....Then these people will REALLY be crying.
A lot of hardcore far-right people believe there shouldn't be any education provided by the government at all. If it was provided at home by the mothers and people had the deduction of their property tax women might actually be able to stay at home more often (and believe me when I say most want to). That, combined with how insanely expensive daycare is, would be enough to convince many to stay at home and in their local communities. I know these ideas will never come to light in our day and age. But it would be interesting to see a community experiment with it. My guess is that the education would be superior to that provided in the schools. The schools could still be utilized in a limited fashion for the use of science labs and such that is unavailable in the regular household. My aunt who lives in New England lives next to a family that home schooled their children. All six (yes, six) of them went to Harvard, several on scholarship. I doubt they would have achieved that in the public school system. The public schools are crap. I would never let my children be around that trash. Many of the teachers are entirely incompetent but protected. Maybe step #1 should be to get their asses out. I firmly believe many of these people have no business educating our children. Not to mention the quality of the other children. Private school is the only other viable alternative. It's unfortunate that it's out of reach for many good families that deserve better. I personally believe 'free' education is crap. I don't believe in paying for it. I believe it ultimately should be the responsibility of the parents and nobody else. Because Lord knows the truth is most of these educators could care less about you and your children. They'll lie every time... but they're really there for the paychecks. The ones who are actually competent and care are rare... the rest just play the game.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 08-05-2011 at 05:07 PM..

Old 08-05-2011, 05:28 PM

275 posts, read 441,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
The public schools are crap.
I agree with you, to a point...and this is that point. While I can't speak for all public school systems, the school system that both of our boys attended did very well by them. But, I'll couch that statement with this. I believe that a child's ability to obtain a quality education, in a public school environment or otherwise, is entirely dependent upon the level of involvement by the parent(s).

While I don't agree with your sweeping generalization regarding public schools, I will say that there were certainly times that we had to step in to give an educator or two a solid "hip check" to get him/her to do the right thing.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:30 AM

105 posts, read 148,030 times
Those behind the recall effort are off their butts and doing some thing about the problem. They are collecting signutres on a petion to recall tricky ricky before to much more is done.
They are not sitting around to see what happens. All I remember is all the jobs tricky ricky was going to bring to Michigan in his campain, Can you honestly name one Job he has brought to Michigan. He has had 8 months now and you can't count the recovery of the auto industry as any effort made by him.

As for the for pay to play sports (and other special stuff like band.) things go I never seem any one on the news ever protesting that TAX PAYERS should not have to pay for the few who play sports. I guess that means it was OK before tricky ricky was elected.

I have did the search to find that all those elected to the states house still are getting their full pay and free health care for life.
Yet the demand is for state workers to take a 20% pay cut and pay a portion of their health insurance. Being elected after Nov 2010 do those benifits get cut.
They sure didn't do any thing to sink their gravy boat thats for sure.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail twister View Post
Those behind the recall effort are off their butts and doing some thing about the problem. They are collecting signutres on a petion to recall tricky ricky before to much more is done.
They are not sitting around to see what happens. All I remember is all the jobs tricky ricky was going to bring to Michigan in his campain, Can you honestly name one Job he has brought to Michigan. He has had 8 months now and you can't count the recovery of the auto industry as any effort made by him.

As for the for pay to play sports (and other special stuff like band.) things go I never seem any one on the news ever protesting that TAX PAYERS should not have to pay for the few who play sports. I guess that means it was OK before tricky ricky was elected.

I have did the search to find that all those elected to the states house still are getting their full pay and free health care for life.
Yet the demand is for state workers to take a 20% pay cut and pay a portion of their health insurance. Being elected after Nov 2010 do those benifits get cut.
They sure didn't do any thing to sink their gravy boat thats for sure.
He has to right the ship Granholm sank before we can begin to see if his plan works. OMG...hes only been in office a few months...give me a break!!

Old 08-06-2011, 09:51 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,614,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
He has to right the ship Granholm sank before we can begin to see if his plan works. OMG...hes only been in office a few months...give me a break!!

The ship was "blown away" by the Granholm economic plan for Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan