Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2011, 08:02 AM

105 posts, read 148,241 times

Advertisements

Maybe the rest of the country isn't booming either. But I didn't listen to all those goveners campain ads who were running for elections in those states either. I don't live in those states either.

90 percent of Good old tricky Rickys ads said he was a nerd who was going to run the state like bussiness and bring work the state and put people to work.

No only has he not brought jobs to the state but drove some away. In nine Months not one plan has been presented to any one as to how he is going to get the work so people can get a job.
Nine month to present even a plan isn't asking to awful much way I see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 08:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,089 times
I knew when he was campaigning he would be for the businessman, and leave the average citizens of Michigan out in the cold.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:25 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,779,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
He seems to be doing what he said he would do. Too early to tell if that is a good thing or a bad thing. Actually we will not know for years. Maybe never
You said a mouthful. I vote "never," personally. I thought this guy might have some useful ideas, but he's a one-trick pony accomplishing nothing. I think he gave us his final answer a couple of weeks ago, when he said in a speech that Michigan can no longer sustain the lack of revenue from all the tax cuts, and that the only answer is more tax cuts.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:46 AM

864 posts, read 1,723,280 times
He's changed the Michigan tax system to lessen the penalty on business. He cut the budget/deficit and he's eliminated welfare after 4 years. If he did nothing else, I'd still call this a success. I don't agree with him on everything -- I think his take on immigration is all wrong for instance but he's right on most issues. He's setting himself up to be one of Michigan's great governors.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:46 AM

105 posts, read 148,241 times
More likely go down as one of Michigans voters biggest mistakes in the 2000's.

90 percent of Good old tricky Rickys ads said he was a nerd who was going to run the state like bussiness and bring work the state and put people to work.

This is what he campained on and has still yet to produce even a hint of a plan to put in action.

Michigan continues to be one of the states with the most unemployed workers.

His going to China to find jobs for Michigan is compairable to you going to the burning BBQ grill to get ice cubes. At least Granholm was smart enough to look to Eroupe for jobs.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:16 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,755,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail twister View Post

No only has he not brought jobs to the state but drove some away. In nine Months not one plan has been presented to any one as to how he is going to get the work so people can get a job.
Nine month to present even a plan isn't asking to awful much way I see it.
On top of that, unemployment is now back over 11% under Snyder.

The other reason people live the state is because of crappy infrastructure. Taxes/regulations aren't the be all/end all, if teh businesses feel they're getting their money's worth then they'll be glad to pay them. Problem is they're not getting their money's worth in Michigan. Where's the mass transit system for example? Why the hell can't be keep our roads repaired? Why am I only forced to live in crappy suburbia if I want to live in this state? Why is there always some petty socio-economic squabble every time an important issue comes about? Why can't we just get the job that needs to be done done without question?

Old 09-18-2011, 11:00 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,957,109 times
RECALL along with Wisconsin Gov.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:57 PM

Don't you understand that improving the tax situation for business IS the way to put people back to work? The best thing that government can do is to get out of the way of business and stop confiscating as much of their profit. That means less regulation and less taxation. Snyder is doing this.

You don't bring jobs back over night and especially in a national recession. This will naturally occur though when you provide a better business environment to MI. Part of the problem with MI though is the union reputation. Maybe the next thing Snyder should try is to make MI a right-to-work state but I'm sure you're against that too.

Jobs have been going to China -- not Europe. Europe is in worst condition than the USA -- the whole EU is on the verge of collapse. If Germany leaves, the whole EU falls apart. You want to bring back the businesses that went to China. That's a hard thing to do with the wages in China but we have better productivity in MI. The Federal government really needs to rethink the free trade policies and go back to tariffs if this country is going to get back manufacturing but that's beyond any state's control.

Granholm was one of the state's worst governors. She was key to the election of Snyder since people in MI were so fed up with her. All of the recall efforts are just sour grapes -- the governor is doing what he campaigned on and you just have to wait for the results. If you don't like it, the best thing you can do for the state is leave if you're one of the takers who suck off the government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail twister View Post
More likely go down as one of Michigans voters biggest mistakes in the 2000's.

This is what he campained on and has still yet to produce even a hint of a plan to put in action.

Michigan continues to be one of the states with the most unemployed workers.

His going to China to find jobs for Michigan is compairable to you going to the burning BBQ grill to get ice cubes. At least Granholm was smart enough to look to Eroupe for jobs.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:09 PM

We're on track for a second recession -- blame Obama for this.

Mass transit only works in a highly dense urban area -- that's not Michigan. None of the cities are design in a way to support it. As far as the highways are concerned, part of the problem is the weather and the fact that MI highways are old. They are being worked on constantly during the summer months so I'm not sure where you're going there.

Grand Rapids has a downtown area you can live in. If you don't like that, leave the state for Chicago, LA, or NY. I prefer suburbia. Socio-economic squabbles come up because these jobs you want done cost money and the 50% of the population which doesn't pay taxes wants the other 50% to pay for everything with increasing demands for MORE. We have elections to solve these squabbles but any time the Dems lose, they have to have endless recall efforts to circumvent the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post

The other reason people live the state is because of crappy infrastructure. Taxes/regulations aren't the be all/end all, if teh businesses feel they're getting their money's worth then they'll be glad to pay them. Problem is they're not getting their money's worth in Michigan. Where's the mass transit system for example? Why the hell can't be keep our roads repaired? Why am I only forced to live in crappy suburbia if I want to live in this state? Why is there always some petty socio-economic squabble every time an important issue comes about? Why can't we just get the job that needs to be done done without question?

Old 09-18-2011, 05:39 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,892,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Yet MI was one of the 24 States that logged a significant INCREASE in the number of jobs over the last year. It was #5 in fact according to the US Department of Labor with an increases of 79,800 jobs.

Quote:
Where's the mass transit system for example?
Rick Snyder was supposed to build a complete mass transit system in less than a year of being elected? I must of missed that promise . You might ask that question to any number of past leaders of this State.

Quote:
Why the hell can't be keep our roads repaired?
They were perfect under Jenny? I must of missed that as well. Plus you need to get out of the 313 area code sometimes and travel the rest of the State. I haven't hit a pothole in months and the roads around here are in pretty good shape in comparison to the rest of the Country. I took a cross-Country trip this summer and frankly, the roads in this part of the State were some of the best I drove on... the roads around your area (Detroit) stunk on ice though. Ohio was positively horrid, Pennsylvania wasn't far behind. Maine was really bad... like war-zone bad in places off the freeways. Mass was really good for once, I was shocked at how good their freeways were (except the bridges, which were really rough.)

Quote:
Why am I only forced to live in crappy suburbia if I want to live in this state?
Snyder forces you to live where you do??? Damn, that's harsh. I take it you were moved there after he was elected under some sort of threat? If not, then that is a pretty darn lame point to toss out as a reason to boot the guy. I don't live in Suburbia, crappy or otherwise; and we still make a decent living in this State. Could be that you didn't give yourself the right job skills to live anywhere outside of a larger city and locked yourself into the hell that is Suburbia.

Quote:
Why is there always some petty socio-economic squabble every time an important issue comes about?
because either the far right or the far left just can't keep their self-righteous mouths shut or their greedy fingers out of the pot.

Quote:
Why can't we just get the job that needs to be done done without question?
Because there is always some group that blocks any attempt to do so. That is both sides of almost all jobs. Right now, there is a recall that started a month or two after the new Gov was elected... why wasn't there at least a token attempt to let him do his job?

It looks as though you are pissed with Snyder, due to poor personal choices which he (or any other Gov has nothing to do with.)

Last edited by Bydand; 09-18-2011 at 06:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan