Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 08:16 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,965,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemits View Post
Have a safe trip. Yup some locals complain about condos but it should be noted, Marquette has kept all its beach front open to the public which was a very smart way to develop especially as 53 % of the city is tax free with state land (prison), NMU, Hospital and parks, Mqt needs the tax base.
Very good point, nothings free anywhere. A lot of folks forget where all the infrastructure comes from. Marquette is doing overall a great job , we have one of the best Lakefronts anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 08:17 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,914,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Ya , the stuff is very wet, even starting to rain now some.My dog is having a ball ! Tonight will be different, once the winds come around and the temps drop....stay tuned, this could be a big one ....or NOT. Mother Nature is just ajusting to the coming season, sort of gearing up as it will.
Awesome! At least I can check out all the U.P webcams on JohnDee.com
I see some places are getting some...especially Wisconsin.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Awesome! At least I can check out all the U.P webcams on JohnDee.com
I see some places are getting some...especially Wisconsin.
Yes , I have to drive down through all of that Wisconsin stuff on Sunday on the way to Mayo. I would welcome a break in the weather by then ,...but , whatever , its that time of year. Will crank up the JD tomorrow and plow down the mountian whatever we get tonight and tomorrow.
Getting back up here end of next week may be interesting, as my road is so steep that you can only plow heavy snow downhill !

Old 11-25-2010, 08:34 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,914,904 times
Ha Ha! Many people would love to be in your shoes living in such a beautiful spot...consider yourself lucky!
Hope all went well in WI.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:09 PM

3,911 posts, read 4,562,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsailor View Post
Hi Podo, I watched your video. It's so well made and great photography! What software did your hubby use to make the video?
Glad you enjoyed it!
Hubby used Sony Vegas Movie Studio 7. He said it cost about 120 bucks.

Looking forward to hearing about your trip when you get back!

Old 11-26-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Ha Ha! Many people would love to be in your shoes living in such a beautiful spot...consider yourself lucky!
Hope all went well in WI.
Ya, its a beautiful view , but , in winter its a little more work...... yes , thanks for the encouragement, Mayo Clinic is in Rochester , Mn. about 420 miles , mostly 2 lane , but , I Do enjoy driving, good thing I guess.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:29 PM

61 posts, read 112,905 times
Great video Michmoldman! What program did you use?

Quote:
Happy Thanksgiving!
Here is a video I made a while ago with many pictures of the U.P
It was my first video with my older camera, so the pictures are not that great. Ill be making another one soon with much better pics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t1F0sCatAI

Old 11-28-2010, 08:38 PM

I did a bit search on a few video editing softwares edit my baby's videos. I've had hundres of hours of video footages. I remember Sony Vegas having lots of raving revews. 120 bucks seems reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Glad you enjoyed it!
Hubby used Sony Vegas Movie Studio 7. He said it cost about 120 bucks.

Looking forward to hearing about your trip when you get back!

Old 11-28-2010, 09:33 PM

We came back from Marquette tonight and I already begin to miss it as soon as we drove away!

Our first stop on our trip was McDonald north of the Mackinac bridge so that our 17 months boy had somewhere to play. Believe it or not,it was quite a pleasant experience. As soon as we walked in, a few hunters dinning at the table greeted us and commented how cute my boy was, and that there's no need that I covered him so much (I wrapped him under my jacket). I was pleasantly surprised how easy and friendly to start a conversation with strangers. We played in the play area for an hour. All the kids were respectful and polite, using "thank you, excuse me" a lot. We made friend with a very sweet 10 year old boy called Forest. Forest watched out for our little one, showed him his toys, and held him between his arms and legs to slide down the long turbo slide. Forest is truly the sweetest kid I've seen. I wish I had some big kids toy to give him as a little goodbye gift. I also hope my boy will have a big brother and role model like Forest in our own neighborhood. We probably won't see him again but may God bless him all the best in life!

Friday early afternoon we arrived in Munising where hubby's potential employer is located. It took us less than 20 minutes to look around town (in the car). I agree with hubby's prediction, I can't see myself living in such a small town. :-( We had pastie in the small restaurant called Mundon (?), where I had my very first pastie a few years ago when we toured pictured rocks and other UP area. It was soooo good! It began to snow in the evening and by the night the ground and trees were covered by the soft and fluffy snow. It was my son's first snow experience and it was fun watching him being unsure and then facinated with the snow. (Last winter he was too little).

We cancled the Munising hotel for Saturday and left Munising to Marquette early Saturday morning. We first drove around the Harvey area. Then we went to the lower harbor park, Presque isle park and drove around downtown. At food co, I happily found several kinds of tofu. At the Peter White library, we picked up a few program flyers and MM paper, and my son played in the children's area for a little while. I can totally see if we move to Marquette, lots of my activities would center around this library. We also toured around NMU campus and surrounding residential area. We had lunck at the Canjun restaurant next to the theater. Their blackened catfish is amazing! It's so flavorful and aftertaste was great. I wish the portion was bigger though(I'm not saying their portion is too small. It's just sooo good I couldn't have enough! Besides, I have bigger appetite as I was eating for two :-). Hubby had jumbolayia and I enjoyed it too. Had muddy pie with icecream on the side. Everything takes great. Will definitely come back.

In the afternoon, we looked at the residential areas west of downtown and north of the street Super One food market is on(41?). Then the residential area north of Superior Hills School, where we saw a few houses within our price range and looks nice from outside. I also like the area behind Econo Food too, but we guess they are too expensive for us, being new and with great view.

Then we spent a few hours in Children's museum, and stopping at Gardners's and Tartet for a snow suite and bib for my son. We had Jean Kay's pasties to munch on and it's the best value pastie!

Summary:
Marquette in my impression is a very nice small city. I was amazed at how many parks there are along the lake. Though many things are small-- the museum, library, etc., the city has a lot to offer. And everything is so conveniently close by-- the lake, the ski hill, downtown, shopping center, etc. The people are friendly and food is great. Gas and grocery might be slightly more expensive but not by much (I bought my turkey here in Kroger in downstate for 29 cents per pound, for example). We didn't see many for sale signs in front of houses. We really like the houses behind the Cherry Creek Elementary in Harvey. They are newer houses with pretty and big lots. There's a Jack's iga(?) grocery store nearby too. Very likely for the same amount of money, we'll be able to find a nicer house in harvey area than east Marquette.

Bottom line, we are positive we'll enjoy a higher life qulity in Marquette, being able to go skiing, sailing, horse riding, camping, dancing, etc. much more and spend less time on road to these activities. My only concern is my career development won't be as good as the east or west coast.

Bottom bottom line, I found myself very sad leaving Marquette. Now I only hope my hubby gets the job and gets a good offer. :-)

Last edited by dreamsailor; 11-28-2010 at 09:42 PM..

Old 11-29-2010, 01:05 AM

760 posts, read 2,444,889 times
I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed our city so much
If you move here I'm sure we'll run into each other in the children's library area if nowhere else. My youngest boy is almost 17 months old as well. We have two others a bit older then him.

We really enjoy the food co-op too and there's a lively Farmers Market in the commons area every Saturday during the warmer 7 months.
You'll also have to try some fresh fish from the big lake which can be bought at Thills fish house right on the big dock. It's very good.
Every time we travel to see our family downstate we have to bring several pounds of fresh whitefish with us because my in-laws say there's no whitefish like Lake Superior whitefish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsailor View Post
Very likely for the same amount of money, we'll be able to find a nicer house in harvey area than east Marquette.
The taxes should be a bit cheaper as well.
We plan to buy within the next year but we won't buy in the actual city of Marquette because we need a large yard. Multiple kids, dogs, and we both love to garden...... the yards in the city are just to small for us.
But every place we're considering is an easy commute into the city.

Anyhow keep us posted with any other questions you may have!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan