Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 10:04 AM

8,069 posts, read 7,013,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
I guess others aren't entitled to their opinions, eh? Outside of a couple of west Dade cheerleaders, it's pretty common knowledge that most of Dade county is a dump, especially west Dade. And of course there is a lot more green and a lot more parks in the western Broward suburbs. Is that even up for debate? I know it's hard for you Dade people to admit it, but there is no competition between Broward and Dade when it comes to the quality of the suburbs. The beach areas, that's another debate and I think Miami-Dade has outstanding beach neighborhoods.

Just look at the color difference between west Dade and west Broward. Broward has FAR more water, lakes, parks, greenery, space, bigger lots, etc.
You carefully selected the areas. Why not include the whole Everglades area to make your area greener? Hialeah really? who is talking about Hialeah? Unless you are including Miami Lakes which is a much better neighborhood than many parts of Broward.

Sure some newer Broward communities have trees but they are in the common areas, not in the cookie cutter homes that tend to have small lots. When they build the same communities in Miami Dade there wasn't as much land to build large common areas but there are still parks and recreation areas. Home lots tend to be small in most western suburbs regardless if they are located in Miami-Dade or Broward.

Anyone can use Google and check the size of those property lots themselves. Cherry picking is not reality.

Do you have an inferiority complex or what? What is up with this obsession with this board and your never ending need to paint Miami like hell on earth? If I lived in a great place I wouldn't spend so many posts bashing a city that I think is below my area. The sad part is that 90% of what you post is misleading information. I don't mind rational bashers, but you are not one. You are extremely biased and post a lot of wrong information.

Look at your posting history you post like 50 times more often in the Miami board that in the Broward board. Ask yourself... Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 10:16 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,834,413 times
It really depends where you are inland. If you are in a dump like Kendall Square which combines high density with the boondocks, you have no advantages. If you are in rural Homestead, redland or Southwest Ranches you get higher quality living with your more remote location. As mentioned above you generally get more for your money if you get a home built before the 1970's-80's depending on area. Broward often has more greenery because it has less Cubans per square mile which means more trees. However, in poor neighborhoods where rentals outnumber homeowners you see the similar treeless look due to laziness on the part of tenants and landlords. In general though newer developments are uglier, denser and in less desirable areas because they were scraping the bottom of the land barrel.

I lived 150 feet from the Atlantic for 20 years in Key Largo. No beach, just mangroves and mosquitoes. The close proximity to salt water takes a toll on your home, car etc. It also makes gardening difficult given the lack of free fresh water. I moved inland in 2010 and enjoy it far more than coastal living. There's no water or sewer bill here, plenty of biomass for off grid living, room for veggies, poultry and a large workshop. I have high speed internet and run a hay delivery business right from home. My living expenses are low but the home actually helps me earn income. You have a hard time doing that crammed in with other refugees from the snow or a banana republic.

In the past I knew guys who lived on Miami Beach. In the 80's it had inexpensive areas, but those apartments were old without usable parking. It was always a hassle to visit them and since few had a car we just kept in touch by phone. Eventually they settled with a family so it was time to go to the suburbs. Only one stayed to raise a family because he owned a home near Flamingo park which was purchased cheap in 1979. Once retired he moved to Alabama. Miami Beach has only gone downhill in the last few decades and has become ghetto and more extreme in the divide between haves and have nots. Cannot remember the last time I even set foot on Miami Beach. The island is nothing but a landfill sinking in the ocean and anyone who pays a premium to live there is foolish.

Old 07-03-2016, 10:21 AM

1,649 posts, read 1,014,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusiphur View Post
Having moved to Miami Beach last summer, I totally see the appeal of living in South Florida. Provided you're right on the coast by the water. But I'm really curious about the motivation for living inland in SoFlo. I understand if your job is inland and you don't want to commute, and I also understand that the cost of living is cheaper further away from the beaches, but even aside from those factors, I constantly see people who are moving down here who will only consider living here if it's west of Route 1.

To me, the advantages of living in the Miami area are:

1) Great beaches
2) Wonderful night life
3) Cosmopolitan surroundings
4) Diverse and interesting population

Meanwhile, the disadvantages (to my mind) are:

1) Bad traffic
2) Ridiculously hot
3) Mind-numbingly humid
4) The bugs can skeletonize a full-grown adult in minutes
5) Unpredictable weather
6) Terrible parking situation
7) Relatively high cost of living
8) Relatively low wages

It seems like most of the advantages go away if you're not right on the beach, or at least close enough to it to be able to walk or bike. The higher cost of living makes sense when you're in the heart of things, in a cosmopolitan tropical paradise with a blue-water beach across the street, but make a lot less sense when you're in a generic subdivision in the middle of a swamp. Going to the beach seems nearly impossible if you have to drive to get there - I constantly see fights breaking out over parking spaces, the traffic across the causeways is terrible on beach days, the trip can take half an hour plus on bad days, you practically have to get here at 7AM to get a good spot, and the beaches by parking lots are always terribly overcrowded. The bugs get worse inland, the weather is crazier, the heat and humidity are worse. The nightlife essentially disappears once you're outside of Miami Beach/Miami, and the population becomes a lot more homogeneous in the suburbs.

I know this just sounds like a rant, but I'm genuinely curious to hear why people move to Miami-Dade County and then chose to live inland instead of on the shore.
Not everyone loves diversity. Inland offers less crime, better schools, and more white people/thread

PS I'm not a racist, so don't kill the messenger. I'm just answering your question.

Old 07-03-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Broward often has more greenery because it has less Cubans per square mile which means more trees.
Not true for newer communities because the HOAs don't let them but it is true in the past they paved a lot of working class neighborhoods like East Hialeah, Little Havana etc. Now they are trying to undo that catastrophe and even in Hialeah trees are being planted in many areas.

Tallrick as usual knows how to bash an area without misinterpreting the facts LOL

Old 07-03-2016, 01:00 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,661,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
You carefully selected the areas. Why not include the whole Everglades area to make your area greener? Hialeah really? who is talking about Hialeah? Unless you are including Miami Lakes which is a much better neighborhood than many parts of Broward.

Sure some newer Broward communities have trees but they are in the common areas, not in the cookie cutter homes that tend to have small lots. When they build the same communities in Miami Dade there wasn't as much land to build large common areas but there are still parks and recreation areas. Home lots tend to be small in most western suburbs regardless if they are located in Miami-Dade or Broward.

Anyone can use Google and check the size of those property lots themselves. Cherry picking is not reality.

Do you have an inferiority complex or what? What is up with this obsession with this board and your never ending need to paint Miami like hell on earth? If I lived in a great place I wouldn't spend so many posts bashing a city that I think is below my area. The sad part is that 90% of what you post is misleading information. I don't mind rational bashers, but you are not one. You are extremely biased and post a lot of wrong information.

Look at your posting history you post like 50 times more often in the Miami board that in the Broward board. Ask yourself... Why?

This discussion between you and I started from your response to a thread that specifically said "Weston, Plantation, Western Pembroke Pines, Davie, Parkland, parts of Coral Springs, parts of Sunrise, West Boca, etc all have some beautiful neighborhoods with more land around them. Plus when u add in the convenience of shopping, movie theaters, parks, bike trails, lakes, etc... Why wouldn't u wanna live in some of those areas?"

I posted up the western area that includes Weston, Plantation, west Pines, Davie, and parts of Sunrise. Are you not getting this, yet? I'm posting factual information, you are making all sorts of weird and easily verifiable untrue statements.

Miami has NOTHING that compares to this area of west Broward. Literally, nothing comparable. There is no part of Miami that has lakes, water, greenery, and parks like west Broward. I literally posted a satellite view comparison, and you are still in denial. What is wrong with you, seriously bro, what is wrong with you? Are you that dense? Property lot sizes, what does Miami have that compares to Southwest Ranches, all of west Davie, parts of Weston, and Parkland? Miami doesn't have this outside of some areas around Homestead - which is farmland, and Pincrest. Does the satellite view offend you? I put up most of west Broward compared to most of west Miami. It's pretty straight forward. Are you color blind?

I'm not saying all of Miami is similar to Mogadishu, but west Broward has more to offer than the Miami suburbs. Pretty much everyone agrees with this. Everyone knows this. But you get all sorts of crazy sensitive over this fact. Broward suburbs are better, it's well known. And Miami's downtown and beach areas are better than Browards. It's pretty straight forward.

Old 07-03-2016, 02:10 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,963,145 times
Quote:
Have your friends heard of Uber?
Yes.
And they'd rather take Metro--or just not go. As far as bars, they can walk to bars in Coconut Grove and Brickell. Reason to come to the Beach would be the beach, but how many people seriously take beach stuff on an Uber? No doubt, Uber drivers don't appreciate getting sand in their personal vehicles. (not to mention the RT still costs more than valet parking would).

Old 07-03-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
Yes.
And they'd rather take Metro--or just not go. As far as bars, they can walk to bars in Coconut Grove and Brickell. Reason to come to the Beach would be the beach, but how many people seriously take beach stuff on an Uber (not to mention the RT still costs more than valet parking would)?
Every time I visit my friend on Miami Beach, we Uber over to the beach - it's cheap and easy. How much beach stuff do you take with you?

Old 07-03-2016, 02:24 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,963,145 times
Quote:
Every time I visit my friend on Miami Beach, we Uber over to the beach - it's cheap and easy. How much beach stuff do you take with you?
To each his/her own, I guess. These guys do have cars, so I guess if it needs to be a car, they'd rather it be their own car? Of course, during events, Uber gets stuck in traffic too, and can have surges on top of that.

I guess the point is if you live inland want to be at the beach often, you would have to deal with the driving and parking or be willing to take Uber a lot. It's a factor.

Last edited by hurricaneMan1992; 07-03-2016 at 02:35 PM..

Old 07-03-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
T

Miami has NOTHING that compares to this area of west Broward. Literally, nothing comparable. There is no part of Miami that has lakes, water, greenery, and parks like west Broward. I literally posted a satellite view comparison, and you are still in denial. What is wrong with you, seriously bro, what is wrong with you? Are you that dense? Property lot sizes, what does Miami have that compares to Southwest Ranches, all of west Davie, parts of Weston, and Parkland? Miami doesn't have this outside of some areas around Homestead - which is farmland, and Pincrest. Does the satellite view offend you? I put up most of west Broward compared to most of west Miami. It's pretty straight forward. Are you color blind?

I'm not saying all of Miami is similar to Mogadishu, but west Broward has more to offer than the Miami suburbs. Pretty much everyone agrees with this. Everyone knows this. But you get all sorts of crazy sensitive over this fact. Broward suburbs are better, it's well known. And Miami's downtown and beach areas are better than Browards. It's pretty straight forward.
You don't seem to understand than people might have different opinions about different areas. Your opinion is not universal. It's your opinion and you are entitled to one. What you are not entitled to is to make up your own facts and post incorrect information about neighborhoods you don't even know well.

There is nothing wrong with me. The day there is something wrong with me I'm sure I will spend my day visiting the Broward forum and telling the posters there that the county the live in is inferior and mine is superior. I will also waste my time offending the people in those forums and picking stupid fights just because I need to prove to myself that I live in a superior county.

Even other people in Broward are aware there are nice areas in Miami Dade and they would recommend them when the commute makes sense. You don't see them here posting ridiculous things like "Miami is a dump"(your words) because they have nothing to prove to themselves. They can live and let live. They would not recommend 2 hour commutes just to prove to themselves that Broward is better than other places. I think we are all adults here and no one needs to prove that 'my dad is stronger than your dad"

Quote:
Outside of a couple of west Dade cheerleaders, it's pretty common knowledge that most of Dade county is a dump, especially west Dade.
Your "common knowledge" is not everybody's reality. Talk to us when the home prices drop to "dump" levels.

Last edited by Sugah Ray; 07-03-2016 at 06:50 PM..

Old 07-03-2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
You don't seem to understand than people might have different opinions about different areas. Your opinion is not universal. It's your opinion and you are entitled to one. What you are not entitled to is to make up your own facts and post incorrect information about neighborhoods you don't even know well.

There is nothing wrong with me. The day there is something wrong with me I'm sure I will spend my day visiting the Broward forum and telling the posters there that the county the live in is inferior and mine is superior. I will also waste my time offending the people in those forums and picking stupid fights just because I need to prove to myself that I live in a superior county.

Even other people in Broward are aware there are nice areas in Miami Dade and they would recommend them when the commute makes sense. You don't see them here posting ridiculous things like "Miami is a dump"(your words) because they have nothing to prove to themselves. They can live and let live. They would not recommend 2 hour commutes just to prove to themselves that Broward is better than other places. I think we are all adults here and no one needs to prove that 'my dad is stronger than your dad"

Your "common knowledge" is not everybody's reality. Talk to us when the home prices drop to "dump" levels.
I have recommended the nicer areas in Dade, many times. And I've said, many times, that the ocean side areas in Miami and the downtown is superior to Broward. I love a lot of things about Miami. I have lived in Miami, I have worked in Miami, I visit Miami often, my wife works in Medley. I love Miami Beach, I love Wynwood, Bayside, Coral Gables, Merrick, etc. I have plenty of experience in Dade County. But as I've said before, you seem to kind of read and comprehend things in a strange way, so you start arguing about things in your own little world - but certainly ignoring what was actually said.

However, if someone is working in Doral/Medley, and asks about ideal places to live, west Broward is USUALLY (but not always) a no brainer. Especially if children are involved. Heck, this little back and forth between you and I started over another person who SPECIFICALLY asked about Weston, and you got all sensitive and emotional about the topic.

Most of the Miami suburbs are a dump, especially compared to Broward. I know that is a little hurtful for you, but you can't escape the reality (though you often do). I have always said "Go check out the places in Miami, and also check out these places in Broward, and make your own decision." You don't seem to realize that for some, a 1.5 hour commute is well worth living in Weston. And to others, Pinecrest or Kendall is perfectly fine. But you simply can't take any criticism of Miami, get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami